Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 AM

11 posts, read 17,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
If I disliked a place so much I could never move for a job unless its like 2/3 or more away from a GREAT pension.
Not liking the winter, then not liking the trees 'leaved in" you most certainly do not like seasons and belong in open, desert like enviroments.
I guess some of it is YOUR neighborhood, because as far being cooped up inside during winter months, everyone I know goes skiing, snow boarding, hiking, snowmobiling, raceing down south/out west, and vacations in Baja.
They make these things called "winter clothes" btw that make it possible for anyone to enjoy the outdoors during the cold/snow. They are good enough that unless youre just standing still you'll warm up enough where you'll have to start peeling layers off as you heat up.
That's great if you enjoy that! The options there simply don't match the priorities of my family!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:49 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
What is wrong with septic? My sewer and water bills are $0. Even if I amortize the costs of a pumping every 4-5 years and a new water tank every 15-20, I'm well below $100/annually. A properly running septic system is arguably safer for the environment. Stamford and other neighboring towns have sewers and there are huge issues. Massive sewage runoffs during storms or plant malfunctions that spew millions of gallons into the sound or even neighborhoods. Billions of gallons entered the waterways during Sandy throughout the Northeast. I had zero runoff or contamination. I also don't worry about sewage backup--- I've seen homes in Brooklyn that thousands of gallons of neighborhood sludge back up four feet in the basement. While I'm not completely immune to that, only my 500 gallons or so can back up, and not tens or millions of gallons from my neighbors.... The only downside is low population density, which may not be a drawback to many I have no issues with rolling hills, big lots, stone walls and New England scenery. My aunt was in from Atherton (a very affluent CA community)--- and I still smile at her remark that my property is straight out of a national/state park.

Nat Gas can also be a double edged sword---- San Bruno and Breezy Point are likely a bit less enamored with it.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:53 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmombiz View Post
That's great if you enjoy that! The options there simply don't match the priorities of my family!
Hows that? Do you enjoy being inside or outside for those months? If you like being outside than do it...in proper clothing. If you like being inside than do that. If you don't like either than DO NOT MOVE HERE and then whine about it. There ARE other jobs.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Like I said, July and August are hot with temps most days in the 90s or low 100s which I personally will take anytime over 4 to 5 months of cold gray skies and rain for the rest of the year! June and September are 80s and some days in the 90s.
Beautiful forecast... I've also attached a fall photo of my driveway, how is the scenery in planned community land, i.e. Austin.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people dislike Connecticut so much?-austin.jpg   Why do people dislike Connecticut so much?-dw.gif  

Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
The few point starts out higher in the morning and drops throughout so that by the time it is actually hot outside the air is dry. I'm outside right now enjoying the beautiful breeze and its very nice!
Well its your opinion and thats cool. Personally, I'd rather live anywhere but Texas...hot hot hot ...dry.... YUCH. Many of us here love the season changes. We have great weather in my opinion..lots of variation. Look at this week. Is there anywhere in the country with better weather? Who wants the sun out every day anyway? Sometimes a nice cloudy cool day can have its own beauty.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 AM

11 posts, read 17,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Beautiful forecast... I've also attached a fall photo of my driveway, how is the scenery in planned community land, i.e. Austin.
I like hot summers! It is my reward for enduring thru winter! And yes, I have the beautiful pictures of fall scenery with my kids featured in them and now I also have portraits of my children enjoying beautiful Lake Austin which is basically in my backyard as well as wonderful photos of my kids in the Hill Country with bluebonnets in full bloom and no, I don't live in a planned community!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I like hot summers! It is my reward for enduring thru winter! And yes, I have the beautiful pictures of fall scenery with my kids featured in them and now I also have portraits of my children enjoying beautiful Lake Austin which is basically in my backyard as well as wonderful photos of my kids in the Hill Country with bluebonnets in full bloom and no, I don't live in a planned community!
Why do people do this? ..come on to another forum to bash the weather. People here love the weather, sorry you'd rather sweat all day but that's your preference.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Austin is pretty devoid of trees.... and is a snoozer in terms of fall scenery. Go fish.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I was raised in CT and lived there over 40 years. I've been gone almost 10 years. I'm grateful for the good education it gave me, and the exposure to the natural beauty of the state which led to my love of nature. It will always be considered "home" but it is very hard to have any quality of life in that state unless you have a good income. The parts of CT that I love...the historical homes in the country...I could never afford. The cities are disgusting dumps full of deserted factories and 3 family homes that have seen much better days. It seemed as though there was always some type of payment due to the state, city, etc. It was impossible for me to get ahead. I was lucky I sold my home at the height of the bubble and got the heck out when I did.

The big CON in Connecticut is the people. You are judged by the amount of money you make or the house you live in. Rude drivers who think nothing of giving you the finger, snooty cliques everywhere, cashiers who refuse to even look at their customers or give them the final total verbally, just a whole lot of backstabbing dog eat dog mentality. I don't miss that aspect of CT, but when I see pictures of a gorgeous maple tree in autumn, I still get homesick.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I was raised in CT and lived there over 40 years. I've been gone almost 10 years. I'm grateful for the good education it gave me, and the exposure to the natural beauty of the state which led to my love of nature. It will always be considered "home" but it is very hard to have any quality of life in that state unless you have a good income. The parts of CT that I love...the historical homes in the country...I could never afford. The cities are disgusting dumps full of deserted factories and 3 family homes that have seen much better days. It seemed as though there was always some type of payment due to the state, city, etc. It was impossible for me to get ahead. I was lucky I sold my home at the height of the bubble and got the heck out when I did.

The big CON in Connecticut is the people. You are judged by the amount of money you make or the house you live in. Rude drivers who think nothing of giving you the finger, snooty cliques everywhere, cashiers who refuse to even look at their customers or give them the final total verbally, just a whole lot of backstabbing dog eat dog mentality. I don't miss that aspect of CT, but when I see pictures of a gorgeous maple tree in autumn, I still get homesick.
Ugh...close this thread

Edit: I do agree on the COL ..its outrageous here..other than that ...na.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut