Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 08:44 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

Hartford seeks fiscal solutions outside bankruptcy | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 06-21-2016, 09:17 AM

610 posts, read 532,711 times
Interesting article. Sounds like Hartford is interested in "regional" solutions, that is, in plain English, having taxpayers in surrounding areas pay even more of the city's budget than the approx. 50% indicated in the article. Maybe they should enact a city income tax on workers and residents to get others to pay their "fair share".

Old 06-21-2016, 10:37 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
CT highest unemployment rates May numbers

1.Hartford 9.7%,
2.Waterbury 8.5%
3.Bridgeport 7.8%,
4.New London 7.7%,
5.New Britain 7.5%
6.New Haven 7.1%, Ansonia 7.1%
7. East Hartford 6.8%
8. Griswold 6.6%
9. 6.5% Norwich, Meriden 6.5%
10. Windham 6.4%, West Haven, Killingly

Stamford 4.5%, Norwalk 4.5%, Danbury 4.3%, Derby 6.3%, Middletown 5.4%, Bristol 5.9%, Stratford 6.1%

Around New England

Fall River 6.2%, New Bedford 6.2%, Lawrence 7.2%, Springfield 7.1%, Providence 5.9%, Holyoke 6.1%, Brockton 5.6%, Lowell 5.1%, Lynn 4.5%.

http://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/LMI/laus/laus.pdf

Old 06-21-2016, 10:56 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Cigna-Anthem Deal: Gov. Malloy’s Administration Offered Cigna Help In Lead Up To Merger Review

Guess Malloy really wants to impress Cigna, though wouldn't it be in his best interest if the Cigna-Anthem merger fell apart? It would allow more competition but also the HQ stays in CT.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:20 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Yikes, those don't look good. Quick, don't fix the economic and business problems, just take more money from those working to perpetuate the rest who are not ! I thought liberals are (self proclaimed ) "smart people"? I guess my feeble mind just can't compute CT problem solving strategies. I should have been born smart instead of handsome ::rolling eyes::

Old 06-21-2016, 12:52 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
Interesting article. Sounds like Hartford is interested in "regional" solutions, that is, in plain English, having taxpayers in surrounding areas pay even more of the city's budget than the approx. 50% indicated in the article. Maybe they should enact a city income tax on workers and residents to get others to pay their "fair share".
This is what caught my eye! I like Hartford, I spend money there and up until about 3 weeks ago we had multiple properties. What else can they do because if I have to pay more taxes to 'boost' Hartford, I'm gone.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:43 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
"There's a limit to how much you can cut,'' the (Hartford) mayor said, "and we have long ago passed the ability of how much more you can tax." -- That's a joke, because on next sentence, he is looking for "creative" ways to tax more the middle class and small businesses.

Listen to this new tax they are inventing -- Unusual property-tax experiment given new life | HartfordBusiness.com. John Fonfara again.

"We can't solve this problem on our own,'' he (Mayor) said. -- this is a problem Hartford inflicted on itself. In real-life you get to pay the consequences of poor financial choices. No more bailouts. Behave responsibly, and not like a drunken Marxist-sailor out on the town with a Credit Card.

Hartford needs to cut the BS, and but before it goes through bankruptcy, it needs to make Hartford a "right-to-work" place. Drones would say "that's a race to the bottom", but I don't care what they say. Yet, the same mindless idiots are racing to bankruptcy.

Look at Waterbury -- it went through mild-bankruptcy 15 years ago, but it didn't terminate the Public Union-politician collusion, and now Waterbury still remains a ****hole, part of the reason.

People could care less of stigma -- if Hartford reinvents / restructures itself fiscally, and meaningfully, productive people will push out the leeches. It's not gonna be the first or the last city to gentrify.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:37 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
"There's a limit to how much you can cut,'' the (Hartford) mayor said, "and we have long ago passed the ability of how much more you can tax." -- That's a joke, because on next sentence, he is looking for "creative" ways to tax more the middle class and small businesses.

Listen to this new tax they are inventing -- Unusual property-tax experiment given new life | HartfordBusiness.com. John Fonfara again.

"We can't solve this problem on our own,'' he (Mayor) said. -- this is a problem Hartford inflicted on itself. In real-life you get to pay the consequences of poor financial choices. No more bailouts. Behave responsibly, and not like a drunken Marxist-sailor out on the town with a Credit Card.

Hartford needs to cut the BS, and but before it goes through bankruptcy, it needs to make Hartford a "right-to-work" place. Drones would say "that's a race to the bottom", but I don't care what they say. Yet, the same mindless idiots are racing to bankruptcy.

Look at Waterbury -- it went through mild-bankruptcy 15 years ago, but it didn't terminate the Public Union-politician collusion, and now Waterbury still remains a ****hole, part of the reason.

People could care less of stigma -- if Hartford reinvents / restructures itself fiscally, and meaningfully, productive people will push out the leeches. It's not gonna be the first or the last city to gentrify.

A right to work city? Wow. That's an awful idea. No to mention labor law is in the purview of the state and federal government.

I guess for some, the solution is always to crap on people who work for a living...

Old 06-21-2016, 06:58 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,611,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
A right to work city? Wow. That's an awful idea. No to mention labor law is in the purview of the state and federal government.

I guess for some, the solution is always to crap on people who work for a living...
Poor people should just move somewhere else.

That seems to be the grand idea for "fixing" Hartford.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:00 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post

Not a bad idea, but states do not give cities much in the way of rights in left-wing states. I do agree that idea you thought about could give Hartford the advantage it needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut