Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 07:03 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post

We can't stop companies from opening data-centers in India, but at least we need to stop them from importing Indians into America. H1B is a total scam. Let them stay there, they keep their ****holes they worked for, we keep ours.

I thought Democrats care about the middle class. But not for the IT middle class?

I agree. IMO an H1B hire should have the company required to demonstrate the gross pay is at least equal to the median pay it has ever provided former US citizens for the same position.

If not, the corp should be barred from ever hiring a single non citizen in any role.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:24 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Waterbury Hospital Cuts Staff Wages To Save $6M - Hartford Courant

With several posters talking about Ct cuts to hospitals in this thread, this seemed relevant to that topic.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:34 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
There is something inherently inequitable with importing cheaper labor. These people built their societies, we built ours.

We built a society that pays very well, they built a society that pays peanuts. We paid for the roads in America, they didn't. We paid for school buildings, bridges, pensions, etc. they didn't. We paid for all things that attract these foreigners to just show up, work for a pay better than peanuts, and send American citizens to the unemployment line or McDonalds.

We can't stop companies from opening data-centers in India, but at least we need to stop them from importing Indians into America. H1B is a total scam. Let them stay there, they keep their ****holes they worked for, we keep ours.

I thought Democrats care about the middle class. But not for the IT middle class?
Aren't many republicans also in favor of the H1B visa program? I remember Marco Rubio was for, and it seems like Trump is for as well. Source: Trump softens H1B-visa policy during GOP debate | Fox News

Of course he has flip flopped a few times on this issue so I don't know where he stands today. I don't think this is even an issue that runs along party lines anymore... both Dems and Reps use this program in their companies so they can chase their bottom line.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:48 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Waterbury Hospital Cuts Staff Wages To Save $6M - Hartford Courant

With several posters talking about Ct cuts to hospitals in this thread, this seemed relevant to that topic.
Let us not forget that this same hospital was in the news four years ago too for bringing temp workers into the ER. Some doctors resigned over this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocdexglxECw

and

Waterbury Hospital ER Docs Resign « CBS Connecticut

Old 06-25-2016, 05:17 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,207,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Aren't many republicans also in favor of the H1B visa program?
Yes, so far. However, Republicans at least are talking about cutting / reducing H1B, and Trump may cut / reduce it. Democrats are not talking at all about cutting H1B.

Hillary if anything, will probably greatly expand it. Democrats are hellbent to import their voters at all costs.

Most 3rd World immigrants vote Democrat. So Democrats kill two birds with one stone with H1B -- serve their IT specials interests, AND import D voters. At least Republicans kill only one bird (cheap labor), which is still bad enough. Mine is a pathetic argument, but this is where both parties have left us -- which is the least of two evils.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:33 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:

Hillary if anything, will probably greatly expand it. Democrats are hellbent to import their voters at all costs.

Most 3rd World immigrants vote Democrat.
Immigrants can not vote in US elections. We covered this before. They would have to be naturalized to become citizens and its not easy for H1B visa holders to become citizens. If all the stars align and they (H1B holders) do become citizens it would take a minimum of 12.5 years from the day they enter the US.

The breakdown is
6 years with a US employer (who must sponsor them for a green card)
5 years as a US permanent resident (ie green card holder)
1.5 years to process the application for US Naturalization.

You can check this site to confirm

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-get-U...-with-H1B-visa

I am wholly against the H1B program and I think it should be stopped completely today. We should only be accepting immigrants under this policy who are at the level of Albert Einstein et al. We certainly do not need to be importing immigrants to fill entry level positions which I have seen happen at a company I worked at before here in CT.

There are many more reasons to be against the H1B program, but "importing voters" is not one of them.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:59 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Immigrants can not vote in US elections. We covered this before. They would have to be naturalized to become citizens and its not easy for H1B visa holders to become citizens. If all the stars align and they (H1B holders) do become citizens it would take a minimum of 12.5 years from the day they enter the US.

The breakdown is
6 years with a US employer (who must sponsor them for a green card)
5 years as a US permanent resident (ie green card holder)
1.5 years to process the application for US Naturalization.

You can check this site to confirm

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-get-U...-with-H1B-visa

I am wholly against the H1B program and I think it should be stopped completely today. We should only be accepting immigrants under this policy who are at the level of Albert Einstein et al. We certainly do not need to be importing immigrants to fill entry level positions which I have seen happen at a company I worked at before here in CT.

There are many more reasons to be against the H1B program, but "importing voters" is not one of them.
Would rep again if I could. My feelings exactly!

Old 06-25-2016, 03:30 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Would rep again if I could. My feelings exactly!
You are against H1B visas?

I am because it depresses wages and takes American jobs away. These people aren't replacing jobs Americans won't take, they are just taking jobs away from Americans.

This happens A LOT in the Actuarial field, H1B visas take American jobs.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:26 PM

1,241 posts, read 903,301 times
I am against H1B visas for the same reason but I place the blame far more on the employers than the immigrants. They are the ones choosing immigrants to save payroll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
You are against H1B visas?

I am because it depresses wages and takes American jobs away. These people aren't replacing jobs Americans won't take, they are just taking jobs away from Americans.

This happens A LOT in the Actuarial field, H1B visas take American jobs.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:07 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I am against H1B visas for the same reason but I place the blame far more on the employers than the immigrants. They are the ones choosing immigrants to save payroll.
Precisely, folks. Anger at the H-1B holders is misdirected. Sponsorship of the visa is an employer-initiated activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut