Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 08:22 AM

505 posts, read 428,585 times

Advertisements

"According to estimates prepared by the state’s non-partisan research agency; in order to save about $250 million, it would take well over 3,000 layoffs."

So... layoff the additional employees.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:15 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
"According to estimates prepared by the state’s non-partisan research agency; in order to save about $250 million, it would take well over 3,000 layoffs."

So... layoff the additional employees.
Headcount is one side only.

The other side is state's payroll.

https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploa...2536583046.pdf

- Page 67 shows CT # 1 in the country for compensation differential (42%) between state and private.

This means that CT can reduce total compensation significantly without fear of losing employees to private firms. This is part of the reason why CT is the at the highest class of States' payroll ("very large premium").

When job security is figured, CT jumps ahead even further (page 74).

Study was done in 2014. I am sure if you asked state employees now about job security, they would give you a very different answer. In 2014 they would have laughed at you. Just like people laugh today when we show them the unbelievable math.

-- As you can see on page 72, there is trend between higher State payroll and lower economic Freedom. Not sure why you need a study for that.

Same trend is on page 73-- higher state compensation means less business.

Absolutely bad picture of CT's state employees.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:36 AM

505 posts, read 428,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Headcount is one side only.

The other side is state's payroll.

https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploa...2536583046.pdf

- Page 67 shows CT # 1 in the country for compensation differential (42%) between state and private.

This means that CT can reduce total compensation significantly without fear of losing employees to private firms. This is part of the reason why CT is the at the highest class of States' payroll ("very large premium").

When job security is figured, CT jumps ahead even further (page 74).

Study was done in 2014. I am sure if you asked state employees now about job security, they would give you a very different answer. In 2014 they would have laughed at you. Just like people laugh today when we show them the unbelievable math.

-- As you can see on page 72, there is trend between higher State payroll and lower economic Freedom. Not sure why you need a study for that.

Same trend is on page 73-- higher state compensation means less business.

Absolutely bad picture of CT's state employees.

I agree. The are other ways that this could have been handled, but in the end it came down to layoffs so layoff the employees.

Last I read the number of layoffs is over 900 so they are on the way.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:14 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
As I said before, I wonder if the layoffs are lagging is because there is some behind the scenes negotiations going on. We will see. Jay

Old 06-24-2016, 12:51 PM

I heard two very interesting and good pieces of news recently about the economy in Connecticut. The first is that a major mechanical/industrial engineering firm that serves clients like Pratt, Sikorsky, Electric Boat as well as clients from around the world is in the process of adding 100 new engineers to their offices in East Hartford JUST THIS MONTH. They have been quietly expanding for a long time now but they are making some really big additions right now. What is even better is that this company could have placed those engineers anywhere since they serve clients around the globe but chose Connecticut because of the already existing talent they have here.

The other thing I heard was from a realtor in Fairfield who told me that there currently were over 240 pending sales of homes in town and she believed that was the historical high. That is definitely a good thing. Jay

Old 06-24-2016, 02:14 PM

789 posts, read 702,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I heard two very interesting and good pieces of news recently about the economy in Connecticut. The first is that a major mechanical/industrial engineering firm that serves clients like Pratt, Sikorsky, Electric Boat as well as clients from around the world is in the process of adding 100 new engineers to their offices in East Hartford JUST THIS MONTH. They have been quietly expanding for a long time now but they are making some really big additions right now. What is even better is that this company could have placed those engineers anywhere since they serve clients around the globe but chose Connecticut because of the already existing talent they have here.

The other thing I heard was from a realtor in Fairfield who told me that there currently were over 240 pending sales of homes in town and she believed that was the historical high. That is definitely a good thing. Jay
Thats all well and good. But the number of homes for sale has also been at historical highs at over 600 not pending. Lots and lots of supply. Lots of price cuts. I'm currently active in the market and it is not a sellers market by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:24 PM

503 posts, read 530,588 times
Quote:
There is definitely a surplus of experienced engineers in the area right now that have been displaced from jobs at various UTC companies by H1-B visa workers from India. I know many people that have been replaced and have met many of the H1-B workers that replaced them. I want to hate the latter but it's difficult after you talk to them and realize they are just trying to provide a better life for their families -- same thing you would do in their shoes. Still, I'm very upset with the circumstances that have led these foreign workers to come to CT en masse and undercut my friends and family. Major revisions are needed to the H1-B program and perhaps it should be eliminated entirely.

If you are ever in Manchester and wonder why half the people you see in the Buckland Mall area are Indian, this is why.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
There is definitely a surplus of experienced engineers in the area right now that have been displaced from jobs at various UTC companies by H1-B visa workers from India. I know many people that have been replaced and have met many of the H1-B workers that replaced them. I want to hate the latter but it's difficult after you talk to them and realize they are just trying to provide a better life for their families -- same thing you would do in their shoes. Still, I'm very upset with the circumstances that have led these foreign workers to come to CT en masse and undercut my friends and family. Major revisions are needed to the H1-B program and perhaps it should be eliminated entirely.

If you are ever in Manchester and wonder why half the people you see in the Buckland Mall area are Indian, this is why.
The only thing is this same person told me that they were having trouble filling so many jobs and that they were recruiting from out of state and have been for a while now. Jay

Old 06-24-2016, 03:21 PM

503 posts, read 530,588 times
Quote:
The only thing is this same person told me that they were having trouble filling so many jobs and that they were recruiting from out of state and have been for a while now. Jay
Out of state or out of country? Kudos to them if they haven't resorted to the H1-B thing yet.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:43 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post

There is something inherently inequitable with importing cheaper labor. These people built their societies, we built ours.

We built a society that pays very well, they built a society that pays peanuts. We paid for the roads in America, they didn't. We paid for school buildings, bridges, pensions, etc. they didn't. We paid for all things that attract these foreigners to just show up, work for a pay better than peanuts, and send American citizens to the unemployment line or McDonalds.

We can't stop companies from opening data-centers in India, but at least we need to stop them from importing Indians into America. H1B is a total scam. Let them stay there, they keep their ****holes they worked for, we keep ours.

I thought Democrats care about the middle class. But not for the IT middle class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut