Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 09:03 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,279 times

Advertisements

This is a MEGA Project (One of the largest in the country) and it will be happening right under your feet.$500M tunnel project aims to preserve CT River | HartfordBusiness.com

It's a $500M 18FT DIA combined sewer/storm tunnel in Hartford & West Hartford. This will bring money to the area in terms of suppliers, lodging, food and fuel. Very interesting project and great to see MDC taking on a project like this.

Also, this is only phase 1, there are other phases to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 09:49 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,315,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This is a MEGA Project (One of the largest in the country) and it will be happening right under your feet.$500M tunnel project aims to preserve CT River | HartfordBusiness.com

It's a $500M 18FT DIA combined sewer/storm tunnel in Hartford & West Hartford. This will bring money to the area in terms of suppliers, lodging, food and fuel. Very interesting project and great to see MDC taking on a project like this.

Also, this is only phase 1, there are other phases to come.
I wonder if this project has anything to do with the Park River. Not many people know this but there's another river that flows through Hartford. Most people haven't heard of it because its hidden underground. Its called the Park River. It is responsible for floods that occurred in Hartford especially that big flood in 1936 and 1938. It was decided to put the river underground to prevent future flood damage. Ever since it was built nearly 60 years ago, it has been treated like a sewer.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:16 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I wonder if this project has anything to do with the Park River. Not many people know this but there's another river that flows through Hartford. Most people haven't heard of it because its hidden underground. Its called the Park River. It is responsible for floods that occurred in Hartford especially that big flood in 1936 and 1938. It was decided to put the river underground to prevent future flood damage. Ever since it was built nearly 60 years ago, it has been treated like a sewer.
It is not really a sewer but a lot of water from streets in Hartford is drained into it. It is the same Park River that is in West Hartford but goes underground in Pope Park, runs under a section of I-84, underground through Bushnell Park and the Whitehead Highway, before emptying into the Connecticut River near the Colt Building south of downtown. It was a massive project when built, like the proposed tunnel which will collect surface water from the South End of Hartford and store it for treatment and slow release into the Connecticut River. The new project is really being built to eliminate the sewage dumps into Wethersfield Cove that occur during really heavy rains. Jay

Old 11-11-2015, 02:09 PM

Looks like downtown will be getting the market it so badly needs and wants. Good news. Jay

Food market set next to 777 Main apts. | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 11-11-2015, 03:04 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,315,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Looks like downtown will be getting the market it so badly needs and wants. Good news. Jay

Food market set next to 777 Main apts. | HartfordBusiness.com
Thank god...this and the downtown north grocery store is a must need for downtown residents.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:55 AM

453 posts, read 531,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Thank god...this and the downtown north grocery store is a must need for downtown residents.
2,200 square feet? I googled the average size of a CVS store for comparison, which is 10,000-13,000 square feet. 2,200 square feet sounds like a 7/11.

Not to continue the negativity, but I finally had an opportunity to check out Front Street yesterday. Very underwhelming. It has been open for a couple years now and is still half vacant. It's just a strip of retail in a downtown city center with tacky architecture. Trying to be optimistic - hopefully UConn will inject some additional life into it. It needs more cheap/quick places like Qdoba, which still is yet to open. Work was being done in one of the storefronts, but it might be for Bear's expansion.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:28 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
2,200 square feet? I googled the average size of a CVS store for comparison, which is 10,000-13,000 square feet. 2,200 square feet sounds like a 7/11.

Not to continue the negativity, but I finally had an opportunity to check out Front Street yesterday. Very underwhelming. It has been open for a couple years now and is still half vacant. It's just a strip of retail in a downtown city center with tacky architecture. Trying to be optimistic - hopefully UConn will inject some additional life into it. It needs more cheap/quick places like Qdoba, which still is yet to open. Work was being done in one of the storefronts, but it might be for Bear's expansion.
For a small boutique market the size sounds about right.

Tentatively set to open within the next 90 days, Harpaldas said his seven-days-a-week market will employ three to five and carry a limited assortment of comestibles, including eggs, milk, bread, and fresh meat, seafood and produce. It also will feature a deli counter, providing "healthier food options,'' Harpaldas said.

This isn't a market for a homemaker to stock up everything for a family of seven. It will carry basic essentials for people living & working downtown. It will most likely look similar to the image below. A couple rows of consumables and a prepared meals deli counter.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:33 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
Quote:

Funny you mention Bear's Somkehouse. I heard through the grapevine that they're eyeing a location in WH over at BBS. They must be doing well, I keep hearing people rave about them all the time both about the one in Hartford and in Windsor.

As for Front Street, I'm sure it would appear more lively if the buildings were fully occupied. Just my $0.02, but I actually think it looks nice and from what I've been told the theater is really nice. I'm sure it will be different once UConn moves in.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:40 AM

453 posts, read 531,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Funny you mention Bear's Somkehouse. I heard through the grapevine that they're eyeing a location in WH over at BBS. They must be doing well, I keep hearing people rave about them all the time both about the one in Hartford and in Windsor.

As for Front Street, I'm sure it would appear more lively if the buildings were fully occupied. Just my $0.02, but I actually think it looks nice and from what I've been told the theater is really nice. I'm sure it will be different once UConn moves in.
It could be worse, but they swung and missed with the traditional architecture. If you are going traditional, use brick or something that looks more like New England; otherwise, just go modern. They went for something you would see in Buckhead Atlanta, and it just doesn't fit.

It could use a Starbucks (or independent coffee shop) and a Panera type place. Somewhere college students can gather and grab a bite for cheap. I agree it will be more lively once the buildings are more occupied and I cannot speak to the movie theater.

Also - Bear's is delicious!

Old 11-12-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:

This is going to be a "bouquet" store, meaning small and specialized. A CVS sized store is pretty big for downtown area.

Front Street is a lot more than half full now and I would definitely NOT call the architecture "tacky". It is pretty upscale and classical in character. You are right though, it is not much more than a strip of stores but inside are some pretty amazing things like Infinity Music Hall, the Spotlight Movie Theaters, the Capitol Grill, Ted's, Nix's, the Front Street Bistro and Qdoba. Bears is moving in too so there is only a couple of small storefronts left. The rest will be UConn and the Front Street Lofts which is almost complete now. It attracts a lot of people now. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut