Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:42 AM

409 posts, read 1,748,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
Ugh, I hate the term WASP. And why in the world would anyone assume country clubs were full of Protestants? LOL!
I know, right? LOL but to answer your question...because it's a streotype!! I think what W.A.S.P. stands for is not even taken into consideraton anymore. It is just a term that stuck in the minds of people when they see what "appears" to be a bunch of snobby wealthy people at a country club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 10:48 AM

394 posts, read 2,003,451 times
You are probably right, most people who use the term WASP probably have no clue what it actually means.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:04 PM

409 posts, read 1,748,783 times
Moderator cut

This is disturbing....CT sounds like such a great place for my husband and I to move to otherwise! This concerns me though.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-17-2008 at 07:11 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 04:28 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
There is more diversity of race in the Northeast by far. It's simple fact. Any "Joe" can do some quick research and see this.

To say that affirmative action is the only saving grace for racial equality in CT is simply ludicrous. There are more "minorities" in "high" positions here than other parts of the country. Sorry it's the truth. Your PERCEPTION doesn't change what is.

Here are a few "quotes" from one study that shows our "come back cities" gained population primarily THROUGH diversity of the population.
...and in stark contrast from the continuous growth cities, nearly all the other long-term comeback cities besides Peabody and Cranston continued to see losses of native-born residents in the 1980s and 1990s but foreign-born gains that more than offset those losses. Warwick, RI and Milford, CT did, however, have slight declines in foreign-born population in the 1980s that were substantially reversed.

...the shift in the composition toward foreign-born population in the large majority of New England cities during the 1990s typically has resulted in a larger share of younger households (under the age of 35)...

...The close link in many—though by no means all—of the turnaround cities to immigration trends is striking.

...Growth in the foreign born has largely driven population growth in New England cities and hasalso been a major dimension upon which comeback cities, failed comeback cities, and cities indecline differ. If not for immigration, the population of New England’s cities would not have rebounded from declines in the 1970s. In fact, from 1980 to 2000, without immigration, New England’s largest cities would have lost an additional 56,000 residents. Instead, an influx of 279,000 new foreign-born residents came to New England in the 1980s and 1990s and helped the population almost completely rebound from dramatic losses in the 1970s.
http://www.hartfordinfo.org/issues/w...ies-report.pdf

Oh and living in Atlanta for two weeks hardly gives you a "handle" on the South. Trust me on this I spent 7 years of my life in the South as a "out and about businessman"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
This is disturbing....CT sounds like such a great place for my husband and I to move to otherwise! This concerns me though.
moderator cut

As a whole, CT is one of the most race tollerant places in the USA. It's laughable to think otherwise.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-17-2008 at 07:30 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 04:30 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
OKay,

Back to the subject at hand....another stereotype out there about CT is that it is full of WASPy country clubs....and that is just because of the way CT is portrayed on TV and in the media. When you turn on the TV, you see a bunch of people in thier tennis outfits having Tea by the pool or something like that. I am sure that is not the case in real life for most CT residents.

http://www.andrews.edu/~chicog/banner.gif (broken link)
LOL No not at all. Those with a lot of money are more likely to be in an older Volvo with a "peace" sticker on the back wearing old jeans and a "rag" sweater with a pair of mocs. (Albeit very expensive mocs I'm sure.LOL )

Old 02-17-2008, 05:08 PM

539 posts, read 2,103,124 times
Quote:
I would not let what I have said stop you from moving to CT. It certainly is not something that would be "in your face" so to speak. I never let it stop me from putting myself out there and trying new things. Keep an open mind and I wish you the best!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:57 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
I believe I started this thread for fun-

lets try and keep it fun- personal attacks and unjust criticisms are not necessary. These posts will be deleted or edited,

Also- parts that are off topic or not important to the thread will be edited-nothing personal intended.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-17-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 06:09 PM

I agree there is racism everywhere- but from my own personal experiences, I believe there is still more racial polarization in the south then in the northeast, and New England in particular.

At this point- we will end this particular discussion in the thread- lets move on and keep the discussion light.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-17-2008 at 07:12 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
OKay,

Back to the subject at hand....another stereotype out there about CT is that it is full of WASPy country clubs....and that is just because of the way CT is portrayed on TV and in the media. When you turn on the TV, you see a bunch of people in thier tennis outfits having Tea by the pool or something like that. I am sure that is not the case in real life for most CT residents.

http://www.andrews.edu/~chicog/banner.gif (broken link)
Connecticut is a fairly large melting pot economically. Fairfield county, despite having some of the wealthiest towns in the nation, also has gritty working class areas where people struggle to make ends meet like elsewhere.

The greater Hartford area also has some very wealthy towns, but there are working class towns with good neighborhoods and down to earth people. The media and film makers view and visions of this state are pretty-well stereotypic and for the most part an illusion of what they think the state is like. To be sure there are some very toney enclaves in parts of the state that do fit the 'idealized' view of 'that' Connecticut - but the reality also is we have many decent hardworking people here who live far from that world of wealth & privilege. There is wealth here to be sure- but lots of average people who do not live in the world of a jazzy country club set and yachting life style.

As far as 'Wasps' the old Yankee stock from nearly 400 years ago has been pretty diluted by now- although there still remains some upper class towns in Fairfield with the vestiges of that 'aristocracy'.

Wave after wave of Immigrants from Ireland, Germany, Italy, Greece, Poland and the rest of Europe in the late 19th and early 20th century dramatically changed the states ethnic composition. We have a Jewish presence as well in the greater Hartford, New Haven and in Fairfield county. Today, Italians make up the largest ethnic group, followed closely by Irish.

Also arriving before WW2 African Americans, and after the war increasing Latinos. Today we have people from Asia, the middle east and Latin Americans making up the majority of newcomers. To say Connecticut is not diverse is just plain false.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-17-2008 at 07:04 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 05:59 AM

394 posts, read 2,003,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post

As far as 'Wasps' the old Yankee stock from nearly 400 years ago has been pretty diluted by now- although there still remains some upper class towns in Fairfield with the vestiges of that 'aristocracy'.
You do not have to be a Yankee to be a WASP. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut