Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 02:44 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post

It’s absurd that teams demand tax payer money for stadiums then every 20 years want a new one. But hey, they have ALL the leverage. Austin would love to scoop up a team.
NFL product rocks. Many cities start with one team in the Big 4, and if they do well, get more.

Plus if you have nice restaurants nearby, the affect of pro teams is stupendous.

I did not want to try a Nashville downtown restaurant after a Titans game, or the bars after Predator games.

So I get the OP's wish, but after the Whalers left, we were never getting a new team, despite Pats playing us.

The first team must thrive to get more, meaning tons of sellouts, not just vs best competition. Be a tough ticket to get your hands on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 02:54 PM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
NFL product rocks. Many cities start with one team in the Big 4, and if they do well, get more.

Plus if you have nice restaurants nearby, the affect of pro teams is stupendous.

I did not want to try a Nashville downtown restaurant after a Titans game, or the bars after Predator games.

So I get the OP's wish, but after the Whalers left, we were never getting a new team, despite Pats playing us.

The first team must thrive to get more, meaning tons of sellouts, not just vs best competition. Be a tough ticket to get your hands on.
Those factors are for other cities and states to deal with. CT's number one issue is location, geography. After that everything is moot. 13 Big 4s are right around the corner. Too many so that eliminates any further thought.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:00 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
No one's getting a billion dollars from the CT state Govt or any combination of local Govt + State.

These rich people can finance their own stadiums.

Old 08-02-2021, 04:35 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yale Bowl is historic, no way they'd mess with it. Also parking would be a big issue. Yale would never go for it. Why would they?

Isn't Yale Bowl the football version of Chicago's Wrigley Field (before 1988) in that it is over a century old and has no lights? Even though the Giants played there for a year while Yankee Stadium was being renovated and Giants Stadium being built, the age of the stadium combined with the lights issue means no way, even though it seats over 80,000.

My sister has lived in the Buffalo area for 3 decades and is major "Bills mafia" as they call the fans there. I visited her last week (as well as had my daughter tour the state university there she is going to in the fall) and saw this all in the news, it won't happen:

1) The owner Terry Pegula is from the region (Rochester, NY) and purposely bought both them and their NHL team (Sabres) to prevent them from being moved and has no intention of selling.

2) This is one of the biggest sports crazed metros its size in the nation. They have the largest minor league baseball stadium in the country and in the 90s often drew a million fans a year for that and outdrew some major league teams. The brief time the Toronto Blue Jays played for fans there this year were sellouts! The only reason they don't have a major league baseball team is declining population and nearness to Toronto (places like Milwaukee and Cincinnati are comparable in size and have one). They actually were expected to get an expansion team in 1969 but lost to Montreal. Would they get an expansion NFL team today over a fast growing place like Austin? Almost certainly not, but the infrastructure is long there.

3) News noted there that there are lots of efforts to resolve this and both public and private sectors are willing to spend spend spend to achieve it.

They ain't going anywhere, and certainly not to a similarly sized market that is stagnant in population growth at best and 100 miles from two MAJOR NFL markets!

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 08-02-2021 at 04:44 PM..

Old 08-02-2021, 07:01 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
I agree that there is no way that Robert Kraft will ever allow another NFL team to move within a two hour drive from his team.

But let’s say he does agree for some reason, there is a much better choice for a team location than the Yale Bowl. People forget we also have Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field. It has 40,000 permanent seats and temporary seating for another 2,000. Surrounding the stadium are thousands of parking spaces just waiting to be filled. I’m sure the stadium does not meet the NFL’s high standards but heck, it’s a start. Jay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_...ntschler_Field

Old 08-02-2021, 07:10 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree that there is no way that Robert Kraft will ever allow another NFL team to move within a two hour drive from his team.

But let’s say he does agree for some reason, there is a much better choice for a team location than the Yale Bowl. People forget we also have Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field. It has 40,000 permanent seats and temporary seating for another 2,000. Surrounding the stadium are thousands of parking spaces just waiting to be filled. I’m sure the stadium does not meet the NFL’s high standards but heck, it’s a start. Jay

I doubt anything below 60k + would be considered on even a medium move/expansion list.

We only profile even remotely well for hockey, and we no longer fit the NHL M.O., which routinely requires 12,000 season tickets fully prepaid before finalizing a franchise in an area. There is no refund for investment if you pass the preliminary NHL check, start seeking season ticket sales, and fall short of the 12k.

Had that been the rule when the Whalers were forming, we would not have gotten a team then. It was lower cost then as players salaries were modest, which helped us despite a small arena with many less than sellout crowds every year.

NHL is totally gate dependent, and cannot mess around.

We are not remotely in the considered list for the NFL, NBA, or MLB.

Last edited by JayCT; 08-02-2021 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Remove Moderator reference

Old 08-02-2021, 08:40 PM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

A Rentchler or Yale Bowl reno wouldn't make the grade. They want brand new. It has to look like a big giant spaceship with arches, atriums, lazers and luxury suites.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:17 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
If they want brand new there's no way it would be 100% publicly funded by anyone. The reason I brought up yalebowl is due to the number of seats. The other issue is well...covid. whats the biggest attended venue domestically at the moment?

Kraft supposedly wanted a smaller stadium for the revolution team. THAT might be a better fit. The argument is that they play a stadium where the patriots might much more. As of 2016 average attendance was 20,000. Rentschler Field might work or at least get it half full which with covid might not be that bad.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:40 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,693,980 times
also, didn't they build the convention center in the spot where the Patriots stadium was supposed to go? where would they even have room for a new stadium (in Hartford at least)?

Old 08-02-2021, 11:24 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
also, didn't they build the convention center in the spot where the Patriots stadium was supposed to go? where would they even have room for a new stadium (in Hartford at least)?
They simply don't have the room. If you demoed some buildings it still wouldn't come even halfway close to what they would want. I've read about this concept for over 20 years. You don't want the public to subsidize sports stadiums.

There's nothing wrong with having events but like what was mentioned is that only half of a season is played at home so this wouldn't be busy off season. I don't see anything wrong with seasonal venues as long as there's something for every season. If something so specifically made that it is only for that one thing then I consider it more of a detriment. I like seeing things that are turnkey read with as little construction needs as possible which is why I mentioned yalebowl. The most successful olympics was back in '84. Minor touch ups and volunteer labor pretty much made it work well. Most other ones had to spend huge amounts. The tokyo olympics is at 15 billion.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-tok...the%20Olympics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut