Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 02:33 PM

989 posts, read 601,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This post is contradictory. You just posted a statistic showing CT has 60% New York fans and 38% New England fans. That successfully refutes the claim that CT is “Patriot’s territory”.

I never claimed that. All I said was that I was examining your claim and simply provided data for Fairfield County.

Here, I ran the numbers for the entire state for you.

Patriots: 170K likes

Giants: 92K likes

Jets: 47K likes

Patriots 55.02%, Giants 29.77%, Jets 15.21%

If you pick a random CT resident off the street they're almost twice as likely to be a Pats fan as a Giants fan.

Fun fact:

The Patriots have a Plurality in every shoreline town east of Norwalk (inclusive). West of there the Giants are the majority.

The Patriots have a Majority in every shoreline town east of East Haven (inclusive). So I guess the old adage of New Haven being a boundary has some merit to it.

But every town other than Greenwich, Stamford, New Canaan, and Darien would be colored for the Pats on the map KidYankee originally posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 10:55 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

But every town other than Greenwich, Stamford, New Canaan, and Darien would be colored for the Pats on the map KidYankee originally posted.

Even Danbury? A lot of ex-NYers there even though I've seen Sox and Pats gear at the Danbury Fair Mall. In a similar vein I would think Norwalk and Bridgeport would be more NY as well, even if it's like 60-40 or 70-30. When I worked in Danbury, Norwalk and Bridgeport schools I think I would see about that ratio of NY vs. Boston sports gear on the kids and a higher percentage of NY in Stamford and Greenwich where I subbed.

I would think most of FFC would be more NY than Boston teams and then it reverses from there.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:43 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Even Danbury? A lot of ex-NYers there even though I've seen Sox and Pats gear at the Danbury Fair Mall. In a similar vein I would think Norwalk and Bridgeport would be more NY as well, even if it's like 60-40 or 70-30. When I worked in Danbury, Norwalk and Bridgeport schools I think I would see about that ratio of NY vs. Boston sports gear on the kids and a higher percentage of NY in Stamford and Greenwich where I subbed.

I would think most of FFC would be more NY than Boston teams and then it reverses from there.
Id agree here. FFC has a 70:30 ratio of NY:Bos. New Haven is about 55:45. Then Hartford is about 40:60. Middlesex is about 35:65. New London I would say is 20:80. Litchfield is about 50:50, odd one...

Old 08-10-2021, 12:10 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

I never claimed that. All I said was that I was examining your claim and simply provided data for Fairfield County.

Here, I ran the numbers for the entire state for you.

Patriots: 170K likes

Giants: 92K likes

Jets: 47K likes

Patriots 55.02%, Giants 29.77%, Jets 15.21%

If you pick a random CT resident off the street they're almost twice as likely to be a Pats fan as a Giants fan.

Fun fact:

The Patriots have a Plurality in every shoreline town east of Norwalk (inclusive). West of there the Giants are the majority.

The Patriots have a Majority in every shoreline town east of East Haven (inclusive). So I guess the old adage of New Haven being a boundary has some merit to it.

We’re not talking Pats vs Giants, though - we’re talking Pats vs everything else. The initial post claimed CT is Pats territory, and all evidence shows that to not be true, keeping in mind the NY centric towns in NH and FF Counties hold half the state’s population.

Because people who usually root for the Yankees don’t root for the Patriots, here’s a town by town list of Yankees vs Sox. A similar map would be true for Pats vs other NFL teams.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/harvard...book-data/amp/

There is absolutely no way most towns in Fairfield County root for the Patriots over other teams.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
We’re not talking Pats vs Giants, though - we’re talking Pats vs everything else. The initial post claimed CT is Pats territory, and all evidence shows that to not be true, keeping in mind the NY centric towns in NH and FF Counties hold half the state’s population.

Because people who usually root for the Yankees don’t root for the Patriots, here’s a town by town list of Yankees vs Sox. A similar map would be true for Pats vs other NFL teams.

There is absolutely no way most towns in Fairfield County root for the Patriots over other teams.
Is that the NYT thing? Because if so, the NYT thing was so wrong lol...

I remember they said the Zipcode I was living in was 26% Braves, 17% Yankees, 14% Rays. My high school and local area did a survey and it showed that 35% of the area I lived in were Rays fans. Only about 10% were Yankees fans. There were a ton of other examples, but it was skewed NY Yankees and even Red Sox outside of New England.

I agree FFC is probably 70% NY Teams. I cant see how all but maybe one or to towns would be NY>Bos.

But this alone just shows you the loyalty in CT between Boston and New York Teams. There really is no room for another one lmao.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:11 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Is that the NYT thing? Because if so, the NYT thing was so wrong lol...

I remember they said the Zipcode I was living in was 26% Braves, 17% Yankees, 14% Rays. My high school and local area did a survey and it showed that 35% of the area I lived in were Rays fans. Only about 10% were Yankees fans. There were a ton of other examples, but it was skewed NY Yankees and even Red Sox outside of New England.

I agree FFC is probably 70% NY Teams. I cant see how all but maybe one or to towns would be NY>Bos.

But this alone just shows you the loyalty in CT between Boston and New York Teams. There really is no room for another one lmao.
Right. If FFC is 70-30 for NY, and NHC county is even 50/50 (which it’s probably closer to 60/40 in favor of NY), and NHC and FFC are 50% of the state’s population, then we have a pattern that would lead to CT residents favoring NY teams.

I also don’t see what you mean by the “NYT thing”. This was done by a Research Coordinator at Harvard College Sports Analysis Collective.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Right. If FFC is 70-30 for NY, and NHC county is even 50/50 (which it’s probably closer to 60/40 in favor of NY), and NHC and FFC are 50% of the state’s population, then we have a pattern that would lead to CT residents favoring NY teams.

I also don’t see what you mean by the “NYT thing”. This was done by a Research Coordinator at Harvard College Sports Analysis Collective.
Yeah New Haven is probably 55-45 now because of a higher influx of New Yorkers.

And the NYT thing was a NYT map made in 2013 that showed pretty... inaccurate to say the least... depictions of fanbases.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:

First of all... I'm using the same methodology they used.

Second... what I'm saying is most FFC towns have plurality patriots fans (and the ones that don't have outright majority Giants fans). That is, the single most liked TEAM is the partriots but NY fans still outnumber Boston fans.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

Yes, even Danbury. (3K likes for Pats, 2.9K for Giants, 1.6K for Jets)

Guys. I think there's a big misunderstanding here which actually shows a big issue in first-past-the-post voting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-...he-post_voting

In this type of choice ranking the only thing that matters is who's #1. The fact that #2 and #3 come from the same city is irrelevant.

Basically even I'll admit that NY gets unfairly split here on these maps compared to Boston. But it is. Most FFC towns would be colored for the Pats EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE MORE NY FANS because they're split between fanbases.

Honestly this is just to show how stupid these maps are for actually displaying who likes what teams in each area.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:45 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Quote:

Surprisingly in FFC (especially as you go east) that's not always the case, I know quite a few people between Norwalk and Milford who are Yankees-Pats (or Red Sox-Giants). Strange, but maybe befits the geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut