Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 08:28 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,569,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Someone decided that they want their AAA team in a certain location even if there is another close by. The PawSox moved to Worcester because ownership was able to reach a development agreement with the city and has a stadium naming rights sponsor ready to go. If Hartford or Pawtucket could have done the same, it's possible they may have moved there.

The Pawsox moved to Worcester because the city's proposal offered far more public money funding for construction of a stadium. Pawtucket and RI only offered some $38M. Worcester contributed more than some $100M in public funding. Its politicians, contrary to nearly every economist, somehow believe that the added tax revenues that new development in that neighborhood brings in will somehow pay for itself. Polar Park has far exceeded cost projections and other hoped for development has already seen scalebacks in size and delays in construction starts.

The amount that Polar Beverages contributed was chump change compared to the cash the City of Worcester was willing to give team ownership for stadium construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 11:13 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,226,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The Pawsox moved to Worcester because the city's proposal offered far more public money funding for construction of a stadium. Pawtucket and RI only offered some $38M. Worcester contributed more than some $100M in public funding. Its politicians, contrary to nearly every economist, somehow believe that the added tax revenues that new development in that neighborhood brings in will somehow pay for itself. Polar Park has far exceeded cost projections and other hoped for development has already seen scalebacks in size and delays in construction starts.

The amount that Polar Beverages contributed was chump change compared to the cash the City of Worcester was willing to give team ownership for stadium construction.
I don't disagree - I even noted the monetary by the city of Worcester. If Hartford or Manchester, NH, or Burlington, VT offered a better proposal, they would have gone there.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:04 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm not safe like the Asia support a baseball team but if you want to attract more people you did more than methods of Transit and development in order to do so. Eddie Floyd Transit development Weatherby trains additional highways and additional Airlines in create a significant increase. I know that CAA has a long-term plan to build another runway in Bradley. This would be huge for the area but the amount of Federal Regulation means that this could potentially take decades.

As your information shows this idea of 1.2 million jobs in the area was largely free covid. Most of the Hartford metro area is administrative jobs in offices. There's nothing wrong with that but the fact of the matter remains that it could be done anyway. A growing number of employers in the Hartford metro area has clearly Illustrated that they can work from home or at least put in the form of a hybrid employment. Manufacturing base jobs to be harder to move and work from home as seen with Pratt & Whitney versus say that of the Hartford.

The Suburban strategy that Connecticut has had for decades is fine for work from home but it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be back home. I'm not doubting that they were nice good-looking suburbs in the state of Connecticut because I actually live in one. However much of the countries that way as well. This is not the 1950s and 60s anymore if I pick up a phone or I email somebody there's really no assurance that that person assuming it's a person on the other end is local. Outside of the city of Hartford itself I cannot think of any employer within the Hartford metro area that actually mandates that its employees live locally. And even then the city of Hartford only applies that to department heads and as some Union agreements for exemptions. In some Industries there's only so many institutions but there are those I can go from place to place. For example and Academia have someone that lives in Hartford and worked at UMass Amherst. That's all well and good but it doesn't mean that that job is actually in Hartford even though that person clearly is employed. I live near a woman that lived in Springfield and she was working for an institution in southern Vermont and another woman was working for the mayor's office over in Rochester New York easily hours away.

The idea that a job has to occur in the given place anywhere in the country anywhere in the world is now getting shakier at best. The idea that you actually have a I have a physical office with people doing things on terminals that are owned by a company again is shaky at best.

There's a significant question how about you show us a major employer which is has mandated that everybody must go back to work physically otherwise that they are fired. Show us all major employer anywhere within the country.
I’m sorry but much of this is incoherent and confused. I still don’t understand the Asia reference to baseball. And your comments on transit and development are way off.

If you are trying to say Hartford should have transit oriented development, I will remind you of CTfastrak which is Hartford’s bus rapid transit system. There has been a lot of transit oriented development around each station. That been well outlined in the Hartford Development thread. Take some time to educate yourself.

I also never said Hartford had 1.2 million jobs. I said that Hartford is the center of a metro area with 1.2 million people. Not sure how you confused that. Again there is NOTHING to show that there has been any great shift in jobs in greater Hartford due to Work From Home. The fact that Hartford insurers have offered this option for the past two decades kind of shows it doesn’t change much. As I noted if it’s an issue here, it’s going to be an issue everywhere. That includes Springfield and Boston. Jay

Old 08-16-2021, 12:13 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
I'm not safe like the Asia support a baseball team but if you want to attract more people you did more than methods of Transit and development in order to do so. Eddie Floyd Transit development Weatherby trains additional highways and additional Airlines in create a significant increase. I know that CAA has a long-term plan to build another runway in Bradley. This would be huge for the area but the amount of Federal Regulation means that this could potentially take decades.

As your information shows this idea of 1.2 million jobs in the area was largely free covid. Most of the Hartford metro area is administrative jobs in offices. There's nothing wrong with that but the fact of the matter remains that it could be done anyway. A growing number of employers in the Hartford metro area has clearly Illustrated that they can work from home or at least put in the form of a hybrid employment. Manufacturing base jobs to be harder to move and work from home as seen with Pratt & Whitney versus say that of the Hartford.

The Suburban strategy that Connecticut has had for decades is fine for work from home but it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be back home. I'm not doubting that they were nice good-looking suburbs in the state of Connecticut because I actually live in one. However much of the countries that way as well. This is not the 1950s and 60s anymore if I pick up a phone or I email somebody there's really no assurance that that person assuming it's a person on the other end is local. Outside of the city of Hartford itself I cannot think of any employer within the Hartford metro area that actually mandates that its employees live locally. And even then the city of Hartford only applies that to department heads and as some Union agreements for exemptions. In some Industries there's only so many institutions but there are those I can go from place to place. For example and Academia have someone that lives in Hartford and worked at UMass Amherst. That's all well and good but it doesn't mean that that job is actually in Hartford even though that person clearly is employed. I live near a woman that lived in Springfield and she was working for an institution in southern Vermont and another woman was working for the mayor's office over in Rochester New York easily hours away.

The idea that a job has to occur in the given place anywhere in the country anywhere in the world is now getting shakier at best. The idea that you actually have a I have a physical office with people doing things on terminals that are owned by a company again is shaky at best.

There's a significant question how about you show us a major employer which is has mandated that everybody must go back to work physically otherwise that they are fired. Show us all major employer anywhere within the country.
I think you are overestimating the fanbase market and what attracts AAA game goers.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:32 PM

464 posts, read 312,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think you are overestimating the fanbase market and what attracts AAA game goers.
What are you talking about?? We have a viable AA team that generates fan interest already. Do you think the Hartford market cares if the team is AA or AAA? I’ve never once heard anyone say “Yard Goats isn’t worth going to because it’s not AAA or I wish Yard Goats were AAA”

People go to minor league baseball because it’s a traditional pastime activity, outside, where you don’t have to pay that close attention, it’s slow paced. I’ve barely heard anyone even care what the Goats record is or if they are “good or bad”. It’s not a hardcore fandom like Red Sox. Debating if AAA is viable or “what the fans want” is silly. If you polled 1000 people in greater Hartford and said “what’s 10 things you want to see added to the area” I doubt “AAA baseball” would be mentioned at all.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:37 PM

107 posts, read 57,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
What are you talking about?? We have a viable AA team that generates fan interest already. Do you think the Hartford market cares if the team is AA or AAA? I’ve never once heard anyone say “Yard Goats isn’t worth going to because it’s not AAA or I wish Yard Goats were AAA”

People go to minor league baseball because it’s a traditional pastime activity, outside, where you don’t have to pay that close attention, it’s slow paced. I’ve barely heard anyone even care what the Goats record is or if they are “good or bad”. It’s not a hardcore fandom like Red Sox. Debating if AAA is viable or “what the fans want” is silly. If you polled 1000 people in greater Hartford and said “what’s 10 things you want to see added to the area” I doubt “AAA baseball” would be mentioned at all.
I believe massachoicetts was criticizing mdovell's post - which reads like it a jumbled response to multiple threads and not necessarily this one - and not making a declarative statement about AA vs AAA viewership preferences amongst Hartford's fanbase. I could be wrong though.

Also, generally speaking attendance by level of affiliated ball decreases the as the affiliation level decreases. I.E. AAA generally draws more fans than AA. AA more than Hi-A, etc...

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/09/0...ce-by-average/

That's not to say that Hartford couldn't support a AAA team, or if its stadium were larger, if its attendance would increase to compete with AAA attendance, despite "only" being a AA franchise. Its hard to speculate one way or the other to be honest...

Old 08-16-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post

You misunderstood me. Were on the same team here. I was responding to the post saying Worcester was better than Hartford to put the WooSox. Which Im against that statement.

I think it was a poor decision to keep the Red Sox’s AAA team in the Boston Area. Worcester is. It would have bwen wiser to move them to Hartford because a) marketing, you have a lot of “on the fence” fans. Could have picked up more red sox fans and helped out the red sox/yankee fan border. Think about.. thats more revenue there. B) Red Sox really represent most of New England and like.. its all in MA lol. C) Hartford is a much bigger area than Worcester area (even though its in the Boston CSA) with no pro sports teams. It could handle it. It also has better developed towns and suburbs. Its a more established city than Worcester.

Also BDL is right there

Old 08-16-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Fiction View Post
I believe massachoicetts was criticizing mdovell's post - which reads like it a jumbled response to multiple threads and not necessarily this one - and not making a declarative statement about AA vs AAA viewership preferences amongst Hartford's fanbase. I could be wrong though.

Also, generally speaking attendance by level of affiliated ball decreases the as the affiliation level decreases. I.E. AAA generally draws more fans than AA. AA more than Hi-A, etc...

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/09/0...ce-by-average/

That's not to say that Hartford couldn't support a AAA team, or if its stadium were larger, if its attendance would increase to compete with AAA attendance, despite "only" being a AA franchise. Its hard to speculate one way or the other to be honest...
Yes. This.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:00 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
They're only so much sports to go around. At one point the NFL had arena football and NFL Europe. Almost any time of year there were games.

I don't think fighting over sports teams is that productive. Investing more in ports, additional runways, rail lines (commercial and residential) etc. Make it easier to transport, export and import goods and services.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
They're only so much sports to go around. At one point the NFL had arena football and NFL Europe. Almost any time of year there were games.

I don't think fighting over sports teams is that productive. Investing more in ports, additional runways, rail lines (commercial and residential) etc. Make it easier to transport, export and import goods and services.
well cities like Hartford need a jump start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut