Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:11 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times

Advertisements

Is it any different from a Fundamentalist Christian who wears a cross and believes that the curse of Ham is biblical prophesy for the down fall of the Black Race? Why do we expect that some people who are Christians may not adhere to some of the teachings of the bible or the teaching of their church, but if you belong to a Black oriented church or religion the same consideration is not available to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 09:28 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Is it any different from a Fundamentalist Christian who wears a cross and believes that the curse of Ham is biblical prophesy for the down fall of the Black Race? Why do we expect that some people who are Christians may not adhere to some of the teachings of the bible or the teaching of their church, but if you belong to a Black oriented church or religion the same consideration is not available to you?
Maybe if a white NBA owner wears some niche Arianism symbol they aren't really racist...just showing pride in their heritage? Yeahhhh, I'd like to see how that goes over with the media.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Maybe if a white NBA owner wears some niche Arianism symbol they aren't really racist...just showing pride in their heritage? Yeahhhh, I'd like to see how that goes over with the media.
Is Arianism a religion? The problem with criticizing a religious symbol is we already accept that people have degrees in which they buy into a religious dogma. Are Black people welcome to attend southern rock and country music concerts even though sometimes the Rebel Flag is prominently displayed, or perhaps their use of the symbol represent regional pride and does have the same meaning when it is displayed at a Klan meeting.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 05-10-2014 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-10-2014, 09:48 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
You are aware that in this very same forum there are threads about Donald Sterling who wanted no blacks at his games (including millionaires like Magic Johnson) and about Cliven Bundy who thinks all blacks were better off as slaves?
I'm sure there are. If you're asking my opinion, I live in Nevada and think Bundy is an idiot racist millionaire ripping off the government. He belongs in jail.

Sterling? He dates a woman that's black/Mexican, he donates money to minority charities, he hires black basketball players. Apparently there's been some issues with racism in his rentals??? I only have heard rumors about that, I haven't followed the story. His girlfriend has been arrested 4 times, and she is being sued by Sterling's wife. Was she setting him up? I don't know. He asked his girlfriend to not be photographed with black guys at games, and he was fined $2.5 million and may lose his team. Should team owners be racist? No, they shouldn't.

Michael Jordan says that 25 years or so ago, he was a racist and hated all whites. I think Michael Jordan owns an NBA team. Hmmmmm??????

Old 05-10-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Is Arianism a religion? The problem with criticizing a religious symbol is we already accept that people have degrees in which they buy into a religious dogma.
Odinism is a religion that uses Arianism symbols/beliefs.

The guy who killed 3 people at Jewish institutions a few weeks ago....

Quote:
The 73-year-old has espoused anti-Semitism for decades. He also founded racist groups like a branch of the Ku Klux Klan and the White Patriot Party, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.
Both groups have deep ties to Christian white supremacists.
But according to Cross' 1999 biography, he is an adherent of Odinism, a neo-pagan religion that experts say has emerged as one the most vicious strains in the white supremacist movement.
"The faith’s obsession with genetic purity, racial supremacy and conquering supposedly lesser peoples is a recipe for violence," said Josh Glasstetter, campaign director for the Southern Poverty Law Center.
The accused Kansas killer's neo-pagan religion – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Bottom line - probably not all followers of Odinism are racist, but if a white owner wears one of the religion's symbols he will be brutally beaten in the public square.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Odinism is a religion that uses Arianism symbols/beliefs.

The guy who killed 3 people at Jewish institutions a few weeks ago....

The accused Kansas killer's neo-pagan religion – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Bottom line - probably not all followers of Odinism are racist, but if a white owner wears one of the religion's symbols he will be brutally beaten in the public square.
So it is possible that Mr. Z is not a racist despite wearing the medallion. I would suspect there are a few places in America he too would be beaten for displaying a symbol that is interpreted as hatred for whites. IMO it is not bold to display these political symbols when you are seen as preaching to the choir.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
So it is possible that Mr. Z is not a racist despite wearing the medallion. I would suspect there are a few places in America he too would be beaten for displaying a symbol that is interpreted as hatred for whites. IMO it is not bold to display these political symbols when you are seen as preaching to the choir.
Yes, it's possible. It's also possible to use the "n word" while wearing a Klan hood without being racist. That's not the point though. The point is the media's reaction when a white man is involved vs a balck man.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, it's possible. It's also possible to use the "n word" while wearing a Klan hood without being racist. That's not the point though. The point is the media's reaction when a white man is involved vs a balck man.
Perhaps the media does give Black People a certain kind of power that they really don't have. Z for all his rap credibility and wealth is no means a "powerful" man. A blogger somewhere commented that Z was under some kind of threat of being blackmailed and this was his subtle communication to them. I am reminded when Michael Jackson was going to court for child molestation at one point he or some in his family hired The Nation of Islam to be his body guard. There was one other occasion where I believed they were used as body guards.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
I'm sure there are. If you're asking my opinion, I live in Nevada and think Bundy is an idiot racist millionaire ripping off the government. He belongs in jail.

Sterling? He dates a woman that's black/Mexican, he donates money to minority charities, he hires black basketball players. Apparently there's been some issues with racism in his rentals??? I only have heard rumors about that, I haven't followed the story. His girlfriend has been arrested 4 times, and she is being sued by Sterling's wife. Was she setting him up? I don't know. He asked his girlfriend to not be photographed with black guys at games, and he was fined $2.5 million and may lose his team. Should team owners be racist? No, they shouldn't.

Michael Jordan says that 25 years or so ago, he was a racist and hated all whites. I think Michael Jordan owns an NBA team. Hmmmmm??????
First and foremost, Sterling initially didn't know she was part black. Still, that tidbit is irrelevant. A white male screwing (or attempting to screw) a black woman means absolutely jack in delimiting racism. American history (particularly the antebellum South but even long afterwards) is replete with white men who had sexual liaisons with black women despite being racist. Thomas Jefferson had some pretty prejudiced beliefs and racist actions against blacks:

Africans in America/Part 3/Jefferson's <I>Notes on the State of Virginia</I>

Yet, he sexed Sally Hemings for presumably the rest of his life. I suppose the foul "odour" which he ascribes to all blacks had nothing to do with them being worked as slaves and this inherent odor certainly did not bother him in the bedroom. As one of the most articulate American thinkers of his time, I would have to assume that Jefferson's sentiments and actions were rife throughout AT LEAST the planter class. This is corroborated with the 25% European ancestry the average "African" American has. Donald Sterling is a classic "timid bigot". I am not surprised in the least of his actions and subsequent apology:

Type III: The Prejudiced Non-Discriminator or Fair-Weather Illiberal

The fair-weather illiberal is the reluctant conformist to the creed, the man of prejudice who does not believe in the creed but conforms to it in practice through fear of sanctions which might otherwise be visited upon him. You know him well: the prejudiced employer who discriminates against racial or
ethnic groups until a Fair Employment Practice Commission, able and willing to enforce the law, puts the fear of punishment into him; the trade union leader, himself deeply prejudiced, who does away with Jim Crow in his union because the rank-and-file demands that it be done away with; the businessman who forgoes his own prejudices when he finds a profitable market among the very people he hates, fears or despises; the timid bigot who will not express his prejudices when he is in the presence of powerful men who vigorously and effectively affirm their belief in the American creed.
It should be clear that the fair-weather illiberal is the precise counterpart of the fair- weather liberal. Both are men of expediency, to be sure, but expediency dictates different courses of behavior in the two cases. The timid bigot conforms to the creed only when there is danger or loss in deviations, just as
the timid liberal deviates from the creed when there is danger or loss in conforming. Superficial similarity in behavior of the two in the same situation should not be permitted to cloak a basic difference in the meaning of this outwardly similar behavior, a difference which is as important for social policy as it is for social science. Whereas the timid bigot is under strain when he conforms to the creed,
the timid liberal is under strain when he deviates.

Michael Jordan threw a soda at a white girl who called him the "N-word" when he was 14. He says that made him "against all whites". I agree with your "hmmm" sentiment. Fourteen year olds are against all parents that make them clean their rooms, all teachers that give them homework, and all police officers that prevent them from loitering. I will have to hear a "Sterlingesque" style recording from Jordan that has been taped sometime AFTER 1977 before I jump into the boat that Michael Jordan is a racist. But you never know, his now white wife apparently started out as a girlfriend:

And he once had a white mistress who tried to extort $5 million bucks out of him:

So maybe Jordan has some Sterling in him somewhere, but once again I'll just have to hear the tape.

Oh and for those who are counting on this thread, Jay Z is wearing gold Mardi Gras beads tonight at the Nets - Heat game. I think he is now racist against non-New Orleanians.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:48 PM

43 posts, read 74,438 times
Jay-Z is a drug dealer, racist, womens beater and Obama's best friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events