Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 01:55 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
First of all, your comments don't sound that far off from fascist or communist viewpoints. Yet liberals don't see that a nanny state type of government which they dream of eventually leads to one of those two outcomes.

As to the idea the poor have the same rights to reproduction, on the surface you are correct. However in our society, there is too much willingness to pay for such irresponsibility. We need disincentives to irresponsible reproduction, period. Until we get to that point as a society, human nature will take advantage of bleeding hearts.
This is what I meant by off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 02:15 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Many people in Africa travel by motorcycle taxi. The nature of this requires close contact. Apparently it's already becoming a problem.

allAfrica.com: Liberia: Ebola Manhunt - Biker Likely Carrying Virus On the Run

Old 08-10-2014, 02:59 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sawyer directly spread ebola to "at least four others, which includes cleaners and hospital and health care workers."

4 Newly Reported Ebola Cases In Nigeria Are All Linked To Patrick Sawyer

Meanwhile, the chief ebola doctor has died of the disease, which officials call the worst outbreak (of it) in history.
The latest is seven people Patrick Sawyer infected. So sad.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:09 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Here's an article about the Reston Ebola variant in the US. It does not make humans sick, though they develop antibodies. I wonder if they are using this as the basis for the experimental vaccine?

Ebola outbreak in Virginia in 1989 remembered | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 08-10-2014, 07:34 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Here's an article about the Reston Ebola variant in the US. It does not make humans sick, though they develop antibodies. I wonder if they are using this as the basis for the experimental vaccine?

Ebola outbreak in Virginia in 1989 remembered | Las Vegas Review-Journal
One approach being researched is to use an existing rabies vaccine to carry part of the Ebola virus. It would protect against both rabies (a problem in central Africa) and ebola.

Inactivated or Live-Attenuated Bivalent Vaccines That Confer Protection against Rabies and Ebola Viruses

Old 08-10-2014, 10:38 PM

555 posts, read 803,296 times
Kathryn:

I originally posted this because the subject of an Ebola pandemic has been discussed in the news lately---and I've long held the theory that the bums could be (and probably already are) carriers of disease. Now, I grant Ebola is not likely to originate in that population, but it could potentially be spread by a terroristic act, imported from abroad or introduced domestically by rogue elements.

The point being here that an Ebola-like disease could easily be spread from that population sector. I believe that a few lesser diseases---like occasionally influenza and hepatitis outbreaks are already being spread by them. But nobody wants to address that, because for some reason, bums are held up in America as a class above reproach.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:21 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
Kathryn:

I originally posted this because the subject of an Ebola pandemic has been discussed in the news lately---and I've long held the theory that the bums could be (and probably already are) carriers of disease. Now, I grant Ebola is not likely to originate in that population, but it could potentially be spread by a terroristic act, imported from abroad or introduced domestically by rogue elements.

The point being here that an Ebola-like disease could easily be spread from that population sector. I believe that a few lesser diseases---like occasionally influenza and hepatitis outbreaks are already being spread by them. But nobody wants to address that, because for some reason, bums are held up in America as a class above reproach.

Your thinking is scattered. And I'm not saying that to be hateful, but this makes no sense. Are you aware of something the CDC or WHO is unaware of? Viruses do not discriminate. They don't care if you are the head of a company or a poor person living in a sewer. They might be easier passed in one way or another (especially with close contact). Any disease is easier to spread with close contact, look at the diarrheal diseases spread around cruise ships (not a bum among the passengers). So what's the answer? Blow them up?

Old 08-11-2014, 03:58 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
With the recent concern over Ebola patients arriving at US hospitals, the threat of epidemics, spread either by natural means or introduced by terroristic or other agenda-driven means has come up for discussion.

What seems to be overlooked is how easily any of these situations can be brought about; and one need only look at most major cities. Where would be the most logical place for a pandemic to originate?

The answer is that it could originate among a population that is already full of high-risk disease carriers and intermingles with the general population: in other words, the bums (or in PC parlance, the 'homeless'). ...

In light of the seriousness of the Ebola pandemic, maybe municipal governments should start considering whether their 'tolerance' may not have serious consequences.
So, following your argument they should be working overtime to end the 'homeless' problem for starters.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Kathryn:

I'm not saying that the homeless aren't a problem, but as others have mentioned, most of them are mentally ill and we have basically no system for handling the number of mentally ill people in our society. They're on their own for the most part unless they commit a crime, and then they're often put in the prison system when what they need is mental treatment.

You're probably getting push back from a lot of people because so many people feel some sympathy for the homeless.

I live in Texas. Homelessness isn't a huge issue here. I'm a lot more concerned about illegal immigration and the diseases that can come into our country and be spread by illegal aliens. But I guess we all have our hot buttons.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
One approach being researched is to use an existing rabies vaccine to carry part of the Ebola virus. It would protect against both rabies (a problem in central Africa) and ebola.

Inactivated or Live-Attenuated Bivalent Vaccines That Confer Protection against Rabies and Ebola Viruses
Hey, I've had the rabies series of vaccines - I wonder if that gives me a bit of protection against Ebola?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events