Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 03:14 PM

89 posts, read 143,476 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a correlation between gun accidents, and having a gun. Then people wonder how it happens...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 03:18 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTurgidson View Post
There seems to be a correlation between gun accidents, and having a gun. Then people wonder how it happens...
Cars run over kids weekly.

Is it the bad car or the bad driver ?

Old 01-01-2015, 03:19 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Somehow, I have managed to live the entirety of my 54 years in two large cities without anything remotely resembling these scenarios happening to me.... and I do not stay in my safe little suburb either..... a lot of my work is done in pretty rough neighborhoods that paranoid gun nuts probably wouldn't even venture into.......
(Raising hand) 52 years here. Two of them even in the state of Idaho. I've never so much as come close to feeling like my life was in peril. But I confess, I'll go down to the Tenderloin in San Francisco at night before I'll walk the aisles of my local Walmart. That store goes under the category of "common sense places to stay away from".

Old 01-01-2015, 04:21 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Good article (IMO) here questioning the wisdom of so-called concealed carry ...

Walmart Toddler Tests Concealed Carry - Bloomberg View

Old 01-01-2015, 04:28 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

But guns aren't really necessary - in large parts of the US that's invariably not the case. One can understand the attraction of target shooting, the tradition of hunting etc. - but allow big sticks into the (American) playground and it's bound to - not so - occasionally end in tears.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:40 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

If you're trying to make a pro-gun argument, it's probably best not to mention cars. In order to buy one, you must register it and show a valid license to use it. In order to get a license to use it, you must pass a written and field test. If you break the law with it, you get it taken away. If you sell it, you must transfer the title to the new owner.

So in that respect, I completely agree with the point you are seemingly trying to make. Guns should absolutely be treated more like cars.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:48 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Good article (IMO) here questioning the wisdom of so-called concealed carry ...

Walmart Toddler Tests Concealed Carry - Bloomberg View
It questions the practicality of the purse carry, which is why my daughter ultimately decided against it. That still doesn't really solve the problem of a young woman dressing nicely and professionally in a hot climate with a concealed weapon, however,

Old 01-01-2015, 04:49 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
If you're trying to make a pro-gun argument, it's probably best not to mention cars. In order to buy one, you must register it and show a valid license to use it. In order to get a license to use it, you must pass a written and field test. .
And this mother in the article was a registered and legal gun owner just like she held a drivers license.

Having a license of any type does not stop automobile or gun accidents and deaths.
Many people drive without a license and insurance.

Licenses are for honest people.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:53 PM

607 posts, read 761,107 times
I cannot believe this actually happened...

The saddest news story I think I have ever seen

Old 01-01-2015, 05:31 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
If you're trying to make a pro-gun argument, it's probably best not to mention cars. In order to buy one, you must register it and show a valid license to use it. In order to get a license to use it, you must pass a written and field test. If you break the law with it, you get it taken away. If you sell it, you must transfer the title to the new owner.

So in that respect, I completely agree with the point you are seemingly trying to make. Guns should absolutely be treated more like cars.
They are.

Anyone with money can buy a car. You do NOT need a driver's licence to buy one. You do NOT need to register it or insure it unless you plan to drive the vehicle on public roads.

If you DO plan to drive yor car off your property, then you must register it and you must possess a valid driver's license. Obtaining this license requires passing a written and driving test.

Owning a car = owning a gun (well, except that felons can own a car but cannot legally possess a gun).

Driving the car on public roads = carrying a firearm in public.

The situation you wish for already exists!

The major difference is merely that most people want to drive their cars on the highway, while most gun owners aren't much interested in carrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events