Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 10:18 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
You must not have read carefully in this thread than cause I have long since lost count of how many times I have read this sentence, "Nobody outside Police and Military should have Guns." Or "There should be no access to Guns period."

No they are not advocating a vigilante police force. They are advocating personal responsibility. Protect yourself and your Family. This vigilante concept you keep repeating speaks to your paranoia.
Some might say the belief that your home may be under siege at anytime speaks to your paranoia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 10:20 PM

274 posts, read 239,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
But the topic of relying on police for protection is another example of extremism. There are LOTS of ways to defend yourself. Only one of them involves carrying a gun. For what it's worth, my mother had a home invader show up in her bedroom while she was sleeping. She chased him out of the house hitting him with a pillow.
She surprised a Burgler who thought nobody was home. Home Invaders not only anticipate you are home it is a requirement. As such they prepare accordingly. Burglers on the other hand do not want to enter an occupied home and when confronted flee immediately if not stopped.

Quote:
Gun enthusiasts will tell you that scenario is impossible, that a firearm is the one and only thing a person can use to protect themselves. That's simply not rational thinking.
Any quotes to support your fantasy? Gun enthusiasts advocate using whatever is available to defend yourself if attacked. Guns fail or get taking away and you need to be ready to respond with whatever force necessary to end the threat. Although unless attacked by someone who is asleep or a guest at a a slumber party I do not recommend you try and defend yourself with a pillow.

Quote:
We keep a baseball bat under the bed. We also have surveillance cameras on our house. We lock our doors. When I get it my car, I immediately lock the doors. I've taken self defense classes that teach you how to practice awareness of your surroundings and some basic moves to protect yourself in the event of an attack. I've been taught to recognize potentially dangerous situations and scams, and I avoid them. I don't open my door to strangers. Education and common sense can go a long way in helping a person protect themselves without needing to walk around with a gun. Is it foolproof? Of course not. But I'm not going to walk around being obsessed by the .00000001% chance of being in a situation where a gun and only a gun would have saved me.
Loribee62 you would last exactly five seconds if that were you to be attacked by anyone other than a FTD Florist. This is obvious given your statements.

Quote:
Really, I don't have a problem with guns. I've got lots of friends who are cops and lots of friends who own firearms.
This is not what you have demonstrated through your previous statements. You are using the same dimwit defense tactic that racists uses when called out and proclaim, "I am not racist I have a Black friend."

Quote:
What I have a problem with are extremists who can't comprehend anything that isn't black or white.
I knew you would make this about Color sooner or later. That Train is never late.

Quote:
They'll have you think that if you aren't carrying a gun, then you must be a moron who parades around in dank, crime-riddled neighborhoods, half naked waving money and yelling, "Rob and rape me!" Reality is, for every crime that was averted because the potential victim had a firearm, there are ten crimes averted by people who didn't have firearms.
Thank God reality is recorded and you will be able to substantiate your claim right?

Quote:
It's the extremism, irrationality and paranoia that scares me more than anything. It just so happens that people with those characteristics are often the ones walking around with loaded weapons.
Again only in the minds of those who are incapable of recognizing their own irrational fears and paranoia.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Somehow, I have managed to live the entirety of my 54 years in two large cities without anything remotely resembling these scenarios happening to me.... and I do not stay in my safe little suburb either..... a lot of my work is done in pretty rough neighborhoods that paranoid gun nuts probably wouldn't even venture into.......
And some people win the lottery. Your point is?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
(Raising hand) 52 years here. Two of them even in the state of Idaho. I've never so much as come close to feeling like my life was in peril. But I confess, I'll go down to the Tenderloin in San Francisco at night before I'll walk the aisles of my local Walmart. That store goes under the category of "common sense places to stay away from".
No Soy Milk Lattes or Gluetn Free Pastries huh?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It's actually been stated in several articles that this woman was not carrying a gun for safety as she lived in a relatively safe place. Apparently it's more like the way some people carry a phone or accessory with them. Frankly, it is beyond understanding for those of us who never even think about guns. I have too many things I actually need to take with me to work to worry about grabbing a firearm.
I call horse hockey on your post. I grew up in Dade and Broward Counties lives there for twenty years and visit twice a year and brother let me tell you. You have allot more to worry about than what to carry to work. Anyone doubt my statement just take a glimpse at the Miami Herald or Sun-Sentinel. South Florida is no place to let your guard down. I have twenty years of experience to back up my claims.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Surreal indeed. The beaches of Normandy or the Rubbermaid aisle at Walmart? You make the call.
I wouldn't recommend either.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTurgidson View Post
People need cars. Cars serve a purpose.
So do Guns.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Well, like they would say about a skydiver, rock climber, or race car driver: At least she died doing what she loved.
Uhhhh... No I would say they are idiots.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
As it would be in every state. Anyone who realistically believes that guns could be systematically confiscated and banned in America is an idiot.
We may disagree but I am sympathetic you should not be so hard on yourself.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
None of the cases that involved kids posted here and in the news in the last year or so resulted in parents being charged. In none of the spectacular cases in the last few years where a small child got hold of a gun in the house or car and shot another child or family member were the parents charged. But if you know of some such cases, please post links, because I think at this point, most of us here would like to see that.
FYI I said many not all. Again you read into things that are simply not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events