Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 11:05 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrower2a View Post
After more than 5000 years the wood would have been blown away.

It did not mention Noah circumnavigating the Earth to pick up the penguins and polar bears, pandas and capybaras, lemurs and rattlesnakes, and all the freshwater fish and amphibians. It did not mention an ark having been built like a nuclear submarine to be able to submerge -- because the falling rain from the firmament would have been scalding hot! It also said nothing about a freshwater fish tank.

The Ice Age -- the latest global maximum was about 18,000 years ago, so that violates the Biblical chronology and is thus a demonic illusion set to ensnare rationalists. Land connected Alaska to Siberia and Indonesia and Japan to the Asian mainland when about 200 meters of the current volume of world seawater was encased as ice that reached as far south as London, Berlin, Warsaw, Seattle, Kansas City, St. Louis, Louisville, and New York City...

My best explanation was that the Flood was the sudden inundation of land that is now the Persian Gulf, with "Noah" having the wisdom to build a nice boat to get to some place high and dry.

kind of what we actually have here this very Wednesday..... bbbrrrr..... but at least i know this too, shall pass and not take a millenia or more to do it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 11:15 AM

520 posts, read 776,023 times
Its really sad to me that so many people get all excited about something like this, which is probably a hoax. My apologies if someone else said something similar in the last 13 pages but I don't have enough brain cells to lose by reading all of it. I didn't have to get past the first page to see people bring up George W Bush and every other conservative politician that might be at least a little bit Christian, as though this alleged little dinosaur group has something to do with them.

So, let me get this straight. There might be (but probably aren't) a few nutty Jesus freaks that have something against dinosaurs. Somehow this much more noteworthy and reflective of other Christians than very large groups of Muslims that definitely do exist and have some thing against letting Christians, Jews, other Muslims that aren't exactly the right kind of Muslim, women who show their eyes in public etc. LIVE. These same groups have killed tens of thousands of people in "isolated random incidents," but we're not supposed to identify them by their religion. That is of course if we follow the lead of our commander in chief.

I'm about the furthest thing from a Christian, but I do live in a predominantly Christian country, as do most of the people on this board. For that reason, I don't take any pleasure in mocking the personal beliefs of most of the people around me. Apparently, many people do. Why is it that the same people who are so excited to see Christians behaving badly and point out how seriously Christian these dumb people are, are also the first to defend Islam as a "religion of peace" and say that "ISIS isn't Islamic" etc? How about a little consistency? Instead we get the arithmetic of the TRUE fanatics, which goes something like this:

A few people from a given religion might have slightly crazy beliefs = Everyone from that religion is an uneducated, inbred, racist, extremist, gun toting, mass shooting waiting to happen cult member.

Tens of thousands of people from another religion use that religion to justify killing non-adherents. Around the world millions of members of this religion denounce the west, talk about killing all infidels = No reflection on that religion whatsoever. The stuff in the Koran about killing infidels is just a metaphor or is being taken out of context by, you guessed it, right wing Christians.

Makes perfect sense, right?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlasphemer View Post
Hmm.... Christian fundamentalists, arguing over dinosaurs, Muslim fundamentalists, cutting people's heads off. Which to pay attention to... Hmm... I can't decide...
Yes, they are clearly equally bad nowdays.lol

Old 02-18-2015, 04:26 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
This layer of water or ice would break apart from tidal forcing within a day, it would melt within 2 days, and it would also block out all radiation, including visible light, and kill every plant on Earth! Everything else would then starve to death, assuming the ice layer hadn't already de-orbited and crushed everything on the surface.
The ocean ice and water can withstand the tides. A layer in geosynchronous orbit would by nature withstand the shocks of gravity tidal forces.

Why haven't Saturn's rings disappeared by now. The rings have to be relatively new in geologic time to be still orbiting.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:30 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Regarding the Ark on Mt. Ararat:

n February 1993, CBS aired a two-hour primetime special titled, "The Incredible Discovery of Noah's Ark." It included the riveting testimony of a man who claimed not only to have personally seen the Ark on Ararat, but also to have recovered a piece of it. The claims were later revealed to be a hoax. In March 2006, researchers found a rock formation on Mount Ararat that resembled a huge ark, but nothing came of that claim.
The Ark: Could Noah's Tale Be True?
There's others that have made the trek and reported back, with video. A snowfield keeps the Ark on ice and is it is evident only on very hot summers. See YouTube.

The Bible does lay out the theory of relativity, quantum mechanics, or a unified theory. But He did give that knowledge to Abraham's heirs, like Einstein. The Heavenly Father has poured out wisdom to the heirs of his ancient priests, the pharisees. Their descendants have been responsible for more Nobel prize winners than any other group.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Why is an ark sitting on Mt Ararat.
Have you seen it? I'm just not sure how an ark built in seven days by a 600 year old man would be able to last for that long on the top of a mountain. It would have already taken a beating with all the rain that was able to flood the entire Earth in 40 days... then to land on top of a mountain and stay there undisturbed for... 4,000 years?

Quote:
The Bible says seven pairs of certain kinds of animal were brought to the ark.
Yeah, seven pairs of all clean animals and one pair of all unclean animals. So the penguins in the southern hemisphere, the polar bears in the northern hemisphere, the Galapagos turtles... They all traveled to where Noah was. And then after the flood, they all traveled back to their respective habitats?

And how was it decided which two of any type of animal was allowed onto the ark? Did all the animals of Earth race to the ark and whoever got their first was saved? Or did the animals have meetings and decide which males and which females best represented their species? Did they know before hand if they were a clean or unclean animal? Or did they just hope for the best and send 7 pairs of their species?

Did the dinosaurs just not not get the memo or were they actually denied access to the ark?

Old 02-18-2015, 05:10 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longslim View Post
I really hope this was a joke. but it does not seem so.

Christian group to schools: Stop filling kids' heads with dinosaurs - CNET
These are dangerously stupid people. They also vote Republican in large numbers.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:14 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
These are dangerously stupid people. They also vote Republican in large numbers.
Yep. I hate what has happened to the Republican party.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:29 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
Nuclear reactors have shields of water and lead that stop neutrons and cosmic ray particles. If they weren't shielded, no one could be within miles of them.

A firmament of water and ice would be transparent - one could see the stars and the moon at night and the sun at day - but it would block almost all damaging particles from hitting the earth's surface. Some neutrinos would get through, but the rate of formation of radionuclide's would be almost nil compared to today. When the firmament was lost, C-14 levels quickly rose from almost nothing and then reaches an equilibrium over time.

There was a very gentle topography before the flood. All the continental drift that occurred was massive: continents collided or were pushed upward when they met an opposing force. Mountains came about because of this great cataclysmic event. Volcanoes greatly increased.

Tsunami waves are barely felt on a ark in the ocean.

Polar regions such as the North Slope have tropical trees in its permafrost. That can not happen unless something very sudden happened on the earth.

Noah was perhaps the most God-fearing and kindest man who had ever lived up to that time. But even he could hardly bear what the earth had become: cold, windy, seasons, pestilence, biting and poisonous bugs, carnivores, having to eat meat which he never did before. He consoled himself by growing a grape orchard, making wine, and getting drunk. The changes were more than he thought he could bear. If we were ejected from a paradise world and into an alien forbidding one, what would we do?

The Christian God creates things to confound the "wise". This thread confirms that.
Please take your meds.

Love, reality.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:09 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
Its really sad to me that so many people get all excited about something like this, which is probably a hoax. My apologies if someone else said something similar in the last 13 pages but I don't have enough brain cells to lose by reading all of it. I didn't have to get past the first page to see people bring up George W Bush and every other conservative politician that might be at least a little bit Christian, as though this alleged little dinosaur group has something to do with them.

So, let me get this straight. There might be (but probably aren't) a few nutty Jesus freaks that have something against dinosaurs. Somehow this much more noteworthy and reflective of other Christians than very large groups of Muslims that definitely do exist and have some thing against letting Christians, Jews, other Muslims that aren't exactly the right kind of Muslim, women who show their eyes in public etc. LIVE. These same groups have killed tens of thousands of people in "isolated random incidents," but we're not supposed to identify them by their religion. That is of course if we follow the lead of our commander in chief.

I'm about the furthest thing from a Christian, but I do live in a predominantly Christian country, as do most of the people on this board. For that reason, I don't take any pleasure in mocking the personal beliefs of most of the people around me. Apparently, many people do. Why is it that the same people who are so excited to see Christians behaving badly and point out how seriously Christian these dumb people are, are also the first to defend Islam as a "religion of peace" and say that "ISIS isn't Islamic" etc? How about a little consistency? Instead we get the arithmetic of the TRUE fanatics, which goes something like this:

A few people from a given religion might have slightly crazy beliefs = Everyone from that religion is an uneducated, inbred, racist, extremist, gun toting, mass shooting waiting to happen cult member.

Tens of thousands of people from another religion use that religion to justify killing non-adherents. Around the world millions of members of this religion denounce the west, talk about killing all infidels = No reflection on that religion whatsoever. The stuff in the Koran about killing infidels is just a metaphor or is being taken out of context by, you guessed it, right wing Christians.

Makes perfect sense, right?
Yes, there are a few liberals out there openly contemptuous of the 'home grown' religion but ready to cut more slack to Muslims (it's a misguided attempt at rooting for the 'underdog'), but those same liberals are few and further between. The problem is religion in general - particularly the dodgy desert trilogy - the pious in Averageville USA unwittingly facilitate the pious at that madrasa in Peshawar. Yes, the followers of so-called ISIS are Muslims, in fact it could be argued that the so-called moderate Muslims are the pretenders. Yes, Christianity is less violent, but advocate for one religion (at least of the Abrahamic kind, and you advocate for all. The sooner the whole rubbish is discarded, the better. As for the unfair contempt you speak of, a belief in superstitious nonsense is not benign (I'm not speaking particularly of 'social' religionists who know the whole thing's ridiculous - though they certainly don't help) religiosity oppresses, holds back progress, encourages a belief in the absurd, advocates for a received wonder, engenders tribalism etc.) it makes fools of us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events