U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-09-2015, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,548,424 times
Reputation: 7421

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What do you mean "push"? It's my job to discuss immunizations with patients! In the job I have now, the doctor has primary responsibility, but I still have to be knowledgeable and able to answer questions. Studies have shown that the biggest factor in a patient getting HPV vaccine (which is not required in Colorado) is a health care provider's recommendation. One of the first questions patients have coming in to a well visit is "are there any immunizations today?" If the answer is yes, we discuss what imms are recommended for that visit. We give them the VISs. When I worked at the health dept. I was the one making the recommendations.

I object to the idea that I "treat people like ignorant fools". This is a discussion board. There are plenty of people, mainly anti-vaxers, on here who think they know way more than me about vaccines; this despite them being my life's work for 40 years or so. There are a few on here, none AVs, who do know more than me. I haven't noticed anyone running from me lately, either in the office or on the street.

As far as "regurgitation", in response to a post suggesting leaving the religious exemption in CA law, I stated that in FL, which has that type of imm law, there are websites showing people how to get a "religious" (wink-wink) exemption. Your snarky response was that I didn't understand what was going on, and that we were talking about California. If you're going to dump on people for bringing up other states, don't do it yourself! And really, what does gun control in AZ or legalized marijuana in any state have to do with immunizations? I do think it's important to stay on-topic, which is why I think gun control in any state, including California, and legalized marijuana (ditto) are not appropriate topics of discussion!
I mean push for mandates.

I explained the topic isn't vaccine safety, it's mandates. I only stated it after 20 pages of vaccine safety debates. In regards to how people feel about it in other states, I told you I couldn't comment on something I don't know. My complaints are for the state of California because that's where I live. That's why I want to stick to the topic. I don't care what YOU do with others but I need to stay on topic.

If you really read my posts you'd know and it would clear up your confusion on why I referred to AZ, gun control, and legalization of Marajuana. But, you feel for some reason you can carry on a conversation without reading posts, or watching videos, or reading the links. That just makes me think you're competitive, but I don't think you're wanting a conversation. I think you are just trying to argue. I told you I won't do that. I don't feel like it. I will just state how I feel about mandates. So, you're wasting your time with me, and I recommend you just ignore me. No use having me repeat what you could just read in the first place. I don't want to fight you. Just stating my opinion on mandates in California and why I don't think they will work, what I think it will cause based on what I see.

Maybe I should win a seat on your ignore list. It might eliminate your issues with me.

Last edited by PoppySead; 06-09-2015 at 09:57 AM..

 
Old 06-09-2015, 09:42 AM
 
8,541 posts, read 5,260,408 times
Reputation: 9100
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Spin? The anti-vaccinationists are the ones spinning that story!

You have never answered my question. Do you think that the study that showed a "connection between autism and vaccines in young African American boys" provides evidence that vaccines are not connected to autism in white boys and girls and black girls? Because that was the conclusion of that study.

Of course, the study did not show the connection you believe it did, and Thompson is the one who is wrong. The black boys were vaccinated early in order to participate in educational programs for children with autism. Never mind that it is not biologically plausible that vaccines would cause a problem only in black boys.

The reason we are not hearing much from Thompson is that he has gone into hiding. I suspect he's embarrassed about being played for a fool.
Yes, spin from those who do not want the initial findings that were covered up exposed. Like I said, I followed this from the beginning and some of the things that you are saying are untrue and just a part of the spin machine that went into full effect after the initial info came out.

[quote=suzy_q2010;39949777]
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/111/3/653.long[/quote]

That's one take on it from an extremely biased source. Paul Offit is not a man who many trust and for good reason.
 
Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Reputation: 31371
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I mean push for mandates.

I explained the topic isn't vaccine safety, it's mandates. I only stated it after 20 pages of vaccine safety debates. In regards to how people feel about it in other states, I told you I couldn't comment on something I don't know. My complaints are for the state of California because that's where I live. That's why I want to stick to the topic. I don't care what YOU do with others but I need to stay on topic.

If you really read my posts you'd know and it would clear up your confusion on why I referred to AZ, gun control, and legalization of Marajuana. But, you feel for some reason you can carry on a conversation without reading posts, or watching videos, or reading the links. That just makes me think you're competitive, but I don't think you're wanting a conversation. I think you are just trying to argue. I told you I won't do that. I don't feel like it. I will just state how I feel about mandates. So, you're wasting your time with me, and I recommend you just ignore me. No use having me repeat what you could just read in the first place. I don't want to fight you. Just stating my opinion on mandates in California and why I don't think they will work, what I think it will cause based on what I see.

Maybe I should win a seat on your ignore list. It might eliminate your issues with me.
I'm not the one who claims to have some infamous ignore list, for starts!

If you actually read my posts for content, you would know why I brought up getting a religious exemption in Florida too. It was related to the topic of religious exemptions in California. If you want to stay on topic, it is vaccine mandates in California. Not William Thompson, gun control, not legalized marijuana.

I don't like to watch videos, and that one about the nurse taking vaccines to people's homes was six minutes long, and frankly, I wouldn't have learned anything b/c I'd already "been there, not done that".
 
Old 06-09-2015, 10:22 AM
 
8,541 posts, read 5,260,408 times
Reputation: 9100
I think that a point that Poppy has made and that is definitely on topic that keeps being ignored is that the harder the pro-vaxxers for all camp pushes, the more you can expect those people who have concerns about vaccines to dig in their heels and refuse to do the thing that you are trying to push them to do. If authorities want more people to vaccinate then we should not allow industry funded studies. All studies should be free of any conflict of interest as should boards that approve vaccine schedules. We need more transparency, accountability and unbiased info. As of now the industry as a whole makes it very difficult for people to trust them. You (vaccine pushers) may not like what I say but as someone who is not on board with all vaccine, don't you think it makes sense to listen considering I'm one of the ones who's healthcare choices you want to change?
 
Old 06-09-2015, 10:28 AM
 
5,644 posts, read 3,192,670 times
Reputation: 6627
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I posted the CDC link. From there link:

Before 2005, the only booster available contained protection against tetanus and diphtheria (called Td), and was recommended for teens and adults every 10 years. Today there is a booster for preteens, teens and adults that contains protection against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap).

The easiest thing for adults to do is to get Tdap instead of their next regular tetanus booster-that Td shot that they were supposed to get every 10 years. The dose of Tdap can be given earlier than the 10-year mark, so it is a good idea for adults to talk to a healthcare provider about what is best for their specific situation.
But ARE they?

Adult Vaccination Rates Rise, but Not Enough - Scientific American

13% Tdap will not give Herd Immunity. What are the rates for past years of just TD, stressing the "D" booster vaccination for Herd Immunity on that. Probably higher than Tdap, but do you think that is an 85% rate of vaccination rate to achieve Herd Immunity?
 
Old 06-09-2015, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,548,424 times
Reputation: 7421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm not the one who claims to have some infamous ignore list, for starts!

If you actually read my posts for content, you would know why I brought up getting a religious exemption in Florida too. It was related to the topic of religious exemptions in California. If you want to stay on topic, it is vaccine mandates in California. Not William Thompson, gun control, not legalized marijuana.

I don't like to watch videos, and that one about the nurse taking vaccines to people's homes was six minutes long, and frankly, I wouldn't have learned anything b/c I'd already "been there, not done that".
I don't claim the ignore list, cd does as a good option for preventing the arguments you seem to be looking for. We all have one, and it's a tool I recommend. It beats being steered off in the wrong direction.

Yes, you seem to know it all, been there done that many times. I could see that leading to your skimming problem. I get that. If you feel you have nothing to gain then I'll have to just accept your answer. But, I'm a bit tired of replying to someone like that. I'll just bow out of the replies. No biggie.
 
Old 06-09-2015, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Reputation: 27519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
But ARE they?

Adult Vaccination Rates Rise, but Not Enough - Scientific American

13% Tdap will not give Herd Immunity. What are the rates for past years of just TD, stressing the "D" booster vaccination for Herd Immunity on that. Probably higher than Tdap, but do you think that is an 85% rate of vaccination rate to achieve Herd Immunity?
Unless you hold adults to the same mandates as school kids you won't get those high numbers.
There are no more "mandates" when you leave high school.

Colleges are all over the place for what they require.

Personally I just concern myself with making sure my tetanus shot is up to date.
 
Old 06-09-2015, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,548,424 times
Reputation: 7421
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think that a point that Poppy has made and that is definitely on topic that keeps being ignored is that the harder the pro-vaxxers for all camp pushes, the more you can expect those people who have concerns about vaccines to dig in their heels and refuse to do the thing that you are trying to push them to do. If authorities want more people to vaccinate then we should not allow industry funded studies. All studies should be free of any conflict of interest as should boards that approve vaccine schedules. We need more transparency, accountability and unbiased info. As of now the industry as a whole makes it very difficult for people to trust them. You (vaccine pushers) may not like what I say but as someone who is not on board with all vaccine, don't you think it makes sense to listen considering I'm one of the ones who's healthcare choices you want to change?
What a great post!
 
Old 06-09-2015, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,548,424 times
Reputation: 7421
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Unless you hold adults to the same mandates as school kids you won't get those high numbers.
There are no more "mandates" when you leave high school.

Colleges are all over the place for what they require.

Personally I just concern myself with making sure my tetanus shot is up to date.
True enough, in order for this to comply with the desired effect of all Americans vaccinated you'd have to mandate vaccines in order to remain a citizen of the U.S.
I doubt that will ever come to fruition.
 
Old 06-09-2015, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,548,424 times
Reputation: 7421
Parents with doubts about vaccinations face backlash from pediatricians, peers - The Washington Post

This is exactly what I'm seeing around me. I think parents and healthcare workers are involved in a campaign that will ultimately lead to the opportunity for a whole host of doctors who will offer an alternative. And homeschooling numbers are climbing by the day.
The opposite of a vaccine mandate is more who just find an alternative.

Last edited by PoppySead; 06-09-2015 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top