Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 11:24 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,174 times

Advertisements

Palmer's friend speaks out:
Cecil the Lion: Friend of Beloved Animal's Killer Speaks Out - ABC News

Love this quote..
Quote:
He’s the type of guy who would give you the shirt off his back when in need. He would be the type of guy to help anybody
Yeah, and he's the type of guy who sexually harassed his employee. And he's the type of guy who wants his money immediately -- Payment in full right now or no dental work. And he's the type of guy who is a convicted felon -- He killed a bear in a unauthorized zone, bribed the hunting guides to cover his actions, and lied to federal prosecutors about it.

Then there's this little matter concerning Cecil the lion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 11:58 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Frankly--big woop. Someone shot a lion. Yawn.

I do agree it was wrong insomuch that the lion was on a preserve, a place made specifically for nature to be nature without human intervention. Yes, the lion should have been left alone. I AGREE with the responsible preservation of nature in such ways.

Still, the level of outrage over this is comical. Please. It's a lion, not a child. To be THIS outraged over what is ultimately an animal is ridiculous. Frankly, I see it as a sign that morality in this country is shot all to hades, right up there with gay marriage and people making babies out of wedlock and abandoning their children and their mother or father. When we can't have the moral realization that human life is 13,328,092 times more sacred than animal life, we're no better than Sodom or Gomorrah ever were.
Of course its a lion not a child. The outrage is as just natural as people who think its ridiculous, and it's not over til its over. Other matters have their time and place but this thread is about the lion.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:03 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,851 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
just to be clear, the tiny peniled coward is from North Dakota

Old 08-14-2015, 12:35 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Frankly--big woop. Someone shot a lion. Yawn.

I do agree it was wrong insomuch that the lion was on a preserve, a place made specifically for nature to be nature without human intervention. Yes, the lion should have been left alone. I AGREE with the responsible preservation of nature in such ways.

Still, the level of outrage over this is comical. Please. It's a lion, not a child. To be THIS outraged over what is ultimately an animal is ridiculous. Frankly, I see it as a sign that morality in this country is shot all to hades, right up there with gay marriage and people making babies out of wedlock and abandoning their children and their mother or father. When we can't have the moral realization that human life is 13,328,092 times more sacred than animal life, we're no better than Sodom or Gomorrah ever were.
The idea that all human life is sacred is mostly driven by religion and resulting laws to keep people from killing each other at will. And it is highly hypocritical because it allows for wars or invading other countries at will and killing the insurgents or civilians who are considered collateral damage, the death penalty, self defense, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with compassion for other sentient beings, and being saddened about the obscene waste of a beautiful animal so some creep can get his thrills is natural and normal. It does not make a person immoral, nor does it keep them from extending their compassion and support to other needy causes, human or non-human.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:53 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
The idea that all human life is sacred is mostly driven by religion and resulting laws to keep people from killing each other at will. And it is highly hypocritical because it allows for wars or invading other countries at will and killing the insurgents or civilians who are considered collateral damage, the death penalty, self defense, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with compassion for other sentient beings, and being saddened about the obscene waste of a beautiful animal so some creep can get his thrills is natural and normal. It does not make a person immoral, nor does it keep them from extending their compassion and support to other needy causes, human or non-human.
A person would have to be awfully narrow-mined to think that concern for animals automatically precludes someone from being concerned about humans as well. How much someone cares about animals will have an effect on their opinion of what Dr. Palmer did. Some people may not have as much concern for what happened to Cecil, but that doesn't make the outrage of those who do 'comical' or 'immoral'.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:01 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
A person would have to be awfully narrow-mined to think that concern for animals automatically precludes someone from being concerned about humans as well. How much someone cares about animals will have an effect on their opinion of what Dr. Palmer did. Some people may not have as much concern for what happened to Cecil, but that doesn't make the outrage of those who do 'comical' or 'immoral'.
Yes, they would. Which makes all of the "if people would only care about fetuses and humans as much as they do about animals" and "it's just an animal and we should only care about humans because they are way more important" in animal-related threads all the more interesting.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:51 AM

482 posts, read 533,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
A person would have to be awfully narrow-mined to think that concern for animals automatically precludes someone from being concerned about humans as well.
Yeah. That fact is made so painfully obvious by the public outrage expressed by PETA members..... As they dropped their efforts to save lab monkeys and snails to grapple with the gruesome on going task of more important concerns of people. Like the never ending butchery by ISIS and Planned Parenthood. Man, I gotta' tell you, after seeing that valiant effort, I couldn't pick up my check book fast enough! I just don't know what the hell we'd do without them! Christ, you people need a life.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:57 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
You guys are still talking about this? Yikes. Very yikes.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:05 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
Yeah. That fact is made so painfully obvious by the public outrage expressed by PETA members..... As they dropped their efforts to save lab monkeys and snails to grapple with the gruesome on going task of more important concerns of people. Like the never ending butchery by ISIS and Planned Parenthood. Man, I gotta' tell you, after seeing that valiant effort, I couldn't pick up my check book fast enough! I just don't know what the hell we'd do without them! Christ, you people need a life.
PETA is an animal rights group, therefore they are not going to spend their donors money toward work that does not involve animals...however there is absolutely no reason to believe that many PETA members aren't also involved in human rights groups like Amnesty and Doctors without Borders.

I would argue that people who care so passionately about life to belong to PETA are far more likely to be involved with groups that also work for human rights than the typical person blathering on a keyboard. Yes, I include myself in that last sentence

Old 08-15-2015, 10:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Palmer's friend speaks out:
Cecil the Lion: Friend of Beloved Animal's Killer Speaks Out - ABC News

Love this quote..
Yeah, and he's the type of guy who sexually harassed his employee. And he's the type of guy who wants his money immediately -- Payment in full right now or no dental work. And he's the type of guy who is a convicted felon -- He killed a bear in a unauthorized zone, bribed the hunting guides to cover his actions, and lied to federal prosecutors about it.

Then there's this little matter concerning Cecil the lion...
It's funny.
There's a guy on another thread basically saying he's cool with and friends with people who screw other people over because these *friends* don't screw him over.
That's the mentality you deal with.

I was becoming friends with these people who had a dog.
They got new wooden floors in the house.
They then went on facebook and said if someone didn't adopt the dog, they were going to take her to the shelter.
Guess what? I am no longer friends with those pieces of crap.

Amazing anyone wants to publically defend that clown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events