Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 06:42 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This is one reason I'm grateful I'm in my 20s. I was a pretty rowdy kid in early childhood (never violent, but I was disruptive when bored, wouldn't do things I was asked to do without a "good reason", etc), and was diagnosed with and treated for ADD. I grew out of it naturally a few years later, and I'm doing just fine as an adult today.

But in the 50s, I suppose I'd have ended up tossed in the madhouse at 5 years old and given a lobotomy.
My mistake for not quoting the video showing the stimming kid. That's the activity to which I referred when I mentioned institutions. I'm certainly not suggesting putting away rowdy kids.

As for the kid kicking his teacher, a quick trip behind the woodshed and decent parents who teach kids that kicking teachers is not acceptable would likely solve the problem, as simply growing up solved your problems. My butt literally burns thinking about the ass-whooping I would have gotten had I kicked a teacher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Nope. Not if you had parents who had a clue. You may have been awarded to foster parents if that was not the case. There were no 'madhouses and lobotomies' for rowdy 5 year-olds, even in the 50's. Mental illnes isn't something one just 'grows out of' big difference.
Indeed. Growing out of rowdiness is part of growing up. Rowdiness is not a disease that needs its own alphabet name and/or drugs to cure it.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Anyone who thinks that arresting a 10 year old autistic child and keeping him in jail overnight is reasonable and appropriate is one really sick individual.
Agreed.

/endthread

Old 04-22-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I disagree with you 100%. I have friends who have severely autistic kids high on the spectrum. I have friends who have kids who are pushed onto the spectrum for services. They have behavior issues and treating them like they are autistic exasperates the real problem.

If you know the name of the doctor(s) who are diagnosing children with autism at the insistence of parents, you should be reporting them to their state's medical board, LIKE NOW.

As a mother of a child with autism, it makes me SICK that people think this is the diagnosis my husband and I WANTED for our son. Yeah, we LOVE having a son who struggles in school, is highly sensitive, etc. and who beats himself up because he can't be like the other kids. Yeah it is SOOOOOOO great! Even better? All the judgment we get from armchair psychologists and doctors who tell us its our fault.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
So, if every criminal was with autism, nobody would ever be punished? It doesn't matter what condition they have, people should get the same consequences.
Interesting you should say that. A large proportion of prison inmates actually do have intellectual disabilities and learning delays. If we caught those when these men and women were kids and worked with them, chances are they wouldn't be in jail today.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Back in my day, kids like that were institutionalized. Why is there anything wrong with that? If they can't operate in society without being drugged to the hilt, they need to live in a specialized place. They simply can't function in a normal atmosphere. If parents are going to insist on calling their kids "special", they need to put them in a "special" place where they won't disrupt the normal flow of life.
So.much.ignorance.and.misinformation.

:vomit:

Old 04-22-2017, 07:10 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Anyone who thinks that arresting a 10 year old autistic child and keeping him in jail overnight is reasonable and appropriate is one really sick individual.
In the future there will be a cop in every kindergarten classroom, ready to arrest any kid who misbehaves. They will be authorized to use any amount of force they choose, if the kid doesn't comply. That seems to be the type of society that most Americans want. We just keep hiring more and more cops and building more and more prisons, at the expense of everything else. The schools suck, our health care sucks, but we have the biggest and best prison system in the world.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:11 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
While I do understand that autism has many characteristics and that acting out is one of them, the question I have is, doesn't the teacher deserve a safe work environment? What's going to happen when this kid is an adult and he's doing the same thing? Let's say worst case scenario, he ends up killing someone as an adult. Unlikely I know, but what do we do then? Do we still allow autism to be used as a reason? Arresting him may or may not have been a good idea, I'm not taking a position on that, but what is going to happen when he's older? There are rules in society and everyone does need to follow them. There are plenty of unanswered questions going on here.
I substitute teach and I go to the same schools and same teachers. I am often the number one choice for students with a paraprofessional assigned to them and with very informed parents. One thing I noticed is that educators, full-time and substitutes, who "worry" about a student's future behavior, often over-react in situations and then want consequences that really don't benefit the child, all in the name of preparing the child for the future.

What these educators are really showing is that there is no plan in place to deal with misbehavior. Have a clear cut plan, make it age appropriate, go over the plan as many times as needed with the children, make the parents aware of it, make adjustments if parents are willing to work at home, and then any child not able to follow the plan must be reported to administration.

The key thing to safe environment it is to accept that children can hurt others and plan accordingly.

Last edited by elyn02; 04-22-2017 at 07:30 AM..

Old 04-22-2017, 07:36 AM

749 posts, read 734,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
There was a warrant out for the kid from an incident last year? And law enforcement didn't know where the kid lived to serve it? And law enforcement didn't know the kid was autistic? I don't think we're getting all the facts here.
THIS.

There is a LOT more to this story than is initially being reported.

The arrest is likely due to procedures that have to be followed in order to leave a "paper trail".

Old 04-22-2017, 08:16 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Mentally ill people are not held accountable for their criminal actions.
Tell the State of Texas that .Their death rows are FULL of mentally ill people. I was born there but thank GAWD I do not live there anymore nor am I a supporter of the death penalty but it is true .

Old 04-22-2017, 08:36 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Interesting you should say that. A large proportion of prison inmates actually do have intellectual disabilities and learning delays. If we caught those when these men and women were kids and worked with them, chances are they wouldn't be in jail today.
Perhaps if we had better parents, who stayed home with their kids instead of dumping them in day care, we'd have less incidence of autism, which EVERYBODY has today. Does anyone notice that autism is the stylish and trendy disability that EVERYONE has today, along with ADD/ADHD? And that instead of correct parenting, we substitute psychotropic drugs like Ritalin? Gee, that doesn't seem to be turning out so good.

Perhaps if we had better and more prepared parents, we wouldn't have little criminals being developed that are violent and causing trouble for the good kids.

If a 10 year old is behaving violently and attacking other kids, he or she needs to be taken out of school and institutionalized or home schooled. The majority of good kids who behave well and want to learn should not be victimized by such a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events