Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 03:30 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
No, I mean size appropriate seats for very large people, not just slightly wider. A couple inches on each side are not going to make a big (no pun intended) difference when a person is truly obese.
Yeah I don't think they'll make a "fat people" section on planes. Just don't see it in this political climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 04:36 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Yeah I don't think they'll make a "fat people" section on planes. Just don't see it in this political climate.
There might not be a way around it pretty soon though. As more people get larger and take up more room, the current canned sardine seats aren't going to cut it anymore.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:45 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
There might not be a way around it pretty soon though. As more people get larger and take up more room, the current canned sardine seats aren't going to cut it anymore.
Don't see how that could happen. Airlines are already operating on pretty thin margins and that's after they have made seats smaller, and smaller.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This woman really DOES NOT get the point. Her whole argument, that she doesn't exist to please him, would be very appropriate if he were commenting on her being in a grocery line in front of him, or a fellow diner at a different table. That would be an acceptable defense.

But not WHEN SHE'S TAKING UP PART OF HIS SEAT on a flight! And then to go on to comment she wishes she could have taken up even more of his seat?

How can she be so obtuse?
Well, I disagree. I don't think she looked that large. And, commenting that she does not exist to please a man IS on point. Men feel free to comment on women's appearances frequently, even women they do not know. She does not exist to fit this man's gender stereotype of a pleasing woman.

I've sat next to plenty of fat, disagreeable men, and some simple seat hogs, but I've never made an audible comment about disliking the experience. When you sit in coach, you get what you get. And unless the flight is really long, it is over soon enough.

Frankly, I think the guy is immature. The woman should not have sought confrontation though, IMO. It would have accomplished nothing.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
No, I mean size appropriate seats for very large people, not just slightly wider. A couple inches on each side are not going to make a big (no pun intended) difference when a person is truly obese.
The airlines like to cram as many people into their planes as possible, and then make us pay for upgrades, such as larger seats and more leg room. This is the trend. I don't see them deciding to make available XXL seats, even with an upcharge, any time soon.

But I do think it is a good idea.

I do think some airlines want to charge very large people for two seats though. I don't know how prevalent that practice is, or how it works.

But this woman is not that large. She looks like any normal mom that I see in a supermarket. I do agree that she might want to lose weight at some point, but she is not abnormal in this day and time.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:12 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, I disagree. I don't think she looked that large. And, commenting that she does not exist to please a man IS on point. Men feel free to comment on women's appearances frequently, even women they do not know. She does not exist to fit this man's gender stereotype of a pleasing woman.

I've sat next to plenty of fat, disagreeable men, and some simple seat hogs, but I've never made an audible comment about disliking the experience.
She didn't make an audible comment. You didn't read this story, did you? He was typing a text message and she snooped and read what he said. You might want to do some more reading before commenting next time.

As for him being "immature" well, he did his best to avoid her, he ignored her and even asked to switch seats. In fact, he "quietly" asked the flight attendant for another seat (her words!) so I'd say he handled it pretty well.

Nobody has a right to snoop into other's private messages and conversations. This woman was stalkerish and seemed/seems fixated, even now, on this man that she doesn't know and never will.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:15 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,947 times
Funny part is, after seeing her picture even though she is at the edge of or slightly bigger than I like em, she does have a pretty and symmetrical face(an evolutionary attraction trigger) and no double chin, so pre-kids (pre baby-weight)she may have been a hottie,and that same guy would have been texting "Thers a hottie walking up, I hope she sits next to me" and he would have gotten a different "open letter" about objectifying women lol

Old 02-04-2019, 05:15 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,871,726 times
People can say what they like on their own devices and nobody else's business to be looking.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
So this just occurred to me. Airline travel is completely different from other public transit in that passengers are forced to sit in regulation seats and secure themselves with a seatbelt.

On other public transport, if there's not room for you to comfortably sit, you can stand and hold on to a pole or hanging loop, and those rides are typically quite short - 20 minutes or less. Not a problem for most people to stand and hold on.

Airlines are unique. You are forced to sit in their seats, and strap yourself in, even if someone else is occupying a significant portion of your assigned seat. And the rides are typically several hours. So even if you WANTED to stand, you might be able to, except for the long take off and landing procedure where you're required to be strapped in to a seat you can't occupy because someone else is in it.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So this just occurred to me. Airline travel is completely different from other public transit in that passengers are forced to sit in regulation seats and secure themselves with a seatbelt.

On other public transport, if there's not room for you to comfortably sit, you can stand and hold on to a pole or hanging loop, and those rides are typically quite short - 20 minutes or less. Not a problem for most people to stand and hold on.

Airlines are unique. You are forced to sit in their seats, and strap yourself in, even if someone else is occupying a significant portion of your assigned seat. And the rides are typically several hours. So even if you WANTED to stand, you might be able to, except for the long take off and landing procedure where you're required to be strapped in to a seat you can't occupy because someone else is in it.
You keep trying to insist in this thread that the man couldn't comfortably sit. I don't think that was a factor. She's not that big, and he started crying to his bro about her size way before he ever knew she'd be his seatmate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events