Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 05:02 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times

Advertisements

There is no evidence in the printed article that this man EVER confronted the woman. He carried on a private text conversation with a friend which she spied on, and unfortunately she read something about herself. Even after that, the man did not confront her; he went quietly to the hostess and asked for another seat. EVEN THEN, when no seats were available, he said NOTHING to her, and avoided her when it was time to leave the plane. All the confrontation was on the woman's side. I have no sympathy for this type of behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 05:04 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don’t see the woman as being at fault, although seeking (and failing to get) a confrontation afterwards might not have been the wisest thing to do. It would have accomplished nothing.

She is right, of course. She does not exist to please this man. But most people dislike sitting next to an obese person because they tend to overflow into others’ personal space. This lady does not look that big, though.

In this case, the guy simply did not want to sit next to the woman. He probably dislikes all large women, and he has no self control about saying what he thinks. He does not care if he hurts feelings. He wants to sit next to a pretty young thing, if possible.

I don’t mind what the woman told the guy, except it was somewhat defensive. But she did not change his mind, i think he knew she wanted to confront him, and he avoided her. Possibly he was a bit ashamed, or possibly not.
Just FYI, a lot of people view reading a stranger's phone to be rude.

The guy does sound like a jerk, but there was not fat shaming on his part. I can't blame him for not wanting to sit next to her either. That has nothing to do with her being a bit porky. It's because she's a crazy lady who goes around reading my phone and looking for a fight. All I want to do when I'm on a plane is get where I'm going in the least painful way possible and being stuck next to a crazy lady trying to pick a fight with me for three hours isn't conducive to that.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:05 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
There is no evidence in the printed article that this man EVER confronted the woman. He carried on a private text conversation with a friend which she spied on, and unfortunately she read something about herself. Even after that, the man did not confront her; he went quietly to the hostess and asked for another seat. EVEN THEN, when no seats were available, he said NOTHING to her, and avoided her when it was time to leave the plane. All the confrontation was on the woman's side. I have no sympathy for this type of behavior.
The scary truth is that he could have been kicked off the flight if she had chosen to complain about his text message and him moving seats away from her. Even though he did and said nothing to her.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:10 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This woman really DOES NOT get the point. Her whole argument, that she doesn't exist to please him, would be very appropriate if he were commenting on her being in a grocery line in front of him, or a fellow diner at a different table. That would be an acceptable defense.

But not WHEN SHE'S TAKING UP PART OF HIS SEAT on a flight! And then to go on to comment she wishes she could have taken up even more of his seat?

How can she be so obtuse?
Damn... she actually basically said she wishes she were fatter???? Wow... I have weight issues, thankfully I'm not big enough that I would be spilling over into someone else's seat (from her photo it looks like we might be the same size) and I know I sure as hell wish I was smaller!! Lighter, to be exact, because orthopedic foot and ankle issues suck!

Old 02-02-2019, 05:29 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Damn... she actually basically said she wishes she were fatter???? Wow... I have weight issues, thankfully I'm not big enough that I would be spilling over into someone else's seat (from her photo it looks like we might be the same size) and I know I sure as hell wish I was smaller!! Lighter, to be exact, because orthopedic foot and ankle issues suck!
If I were spilling over into someone else's seat, I'd pull my arms in and go for the Robin Williams hot dog impression.

http://i.imgur.com/GjGFHyF.gif

Old 02-02-2019, 05:41 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
If she is overflowing, she is invading his space and needs to pay for 2 seats. I don't care what political affiliation either party is. I have not read the story so I don't know what happened but I stand by my first sentence no matter who it is.

If she was contained in her own seat, he is an idiot and needs to shut up.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
If she is overflowing, she is invading his space and needs to pay for 2 seats. I don't care what political affiliation either party is. I have not read the story so I don't know what happened but I stand by my first sentence no matter who it is.
Maybe you should have read the story. She wasn't overflowing, so the first sentence that you're standing by is absolutely irrelevant.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Maybe you should have read the story. She wasn't overflowing, so the first sentence that you're standing by is absolutely irrelevant.
I edited my post. Read above.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post

If she was contained in her own seat, he is an idiot and needs to shut up.
He didn't say anything. At all.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He didn't say anything. At all.
Okay. I read the article. It says he called her 2 ton in a text. Actually I am confused about the whole thing.

As for a generic situation. I believe each passenger is entitled to their own seat and should have to share with anyone. Oversized people should buy two seats. This woman does not look enormous imo but it's hard to tell.

Looks like she snooped and read his text. Yeah, a big old mess that didn't have to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events