Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 12:10 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
LOL, everybody know's USC's motto is: "Pay the Fee, Get a B"
How stupid is your kid, that you need to cheat to get them in?
Her daughter states in the YouTube video that she has no interest in academics and then she says “as you all know by now” so I’m guessing her grades and/or attendance are probably bad. I would think they’d have to be bad as it cost her parents $250,000 to get her into USC. I don’t know if she stupid, she just has no interest in school and doesn’t do the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 01:00 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
I work in the entertainment industry with dozens of USC grads and I could have told you they all paid their way through school a long time ago. Yet another reason I think the education system in this country is a sham and it's not worth the expense for normal people.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:07 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I thought about replying, "what makes you think we didn't? "
"why do you think we're not living on the French Riviera?"

Old 03-13-2019, 01:22 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,117 times
This story illustrates shows how rotten the college admissions process is, but, what crime has been committed? Anyone else think this should be handled outside the criminal justice system?

Sure, kids cheated on tests. Are we ready to make this a crime?

Sure, coaches/admissions officers have taken money against the policy of their University. Sure, proctors have helped test takers cheat on exams but this is a private company's policy that has been violated. These employees should be fired (and sued for damages) but these are civil matters between employers and an employees that behaved very unethically.

Sure, faces were pasted onto bodies in an attempt to mislead admissions officers. Immoral, yes, but like lying on a job application or a fake pic on Tender, not illegal.

To be honest, I'd rather colleges just accept direct donations for admission. If someone can bring $1,000,000 and help the entire institution make meaningful investments, why shouldn't they be admitted? Obviously, they should have to pass in order to get a diploma but that's what independent accreditation boards are for. I'd much rather my kid loose a spot to someone because they are rich than to loose a spot to some because of a racial quota (which is legal but should not be because of the equal protection clause).

Old 03-13-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
This story illustrates shows how rotten the college admissions process is, but, what crime has been committed? Anyone else think this should be handled outside the criminal justice system?

Sure, coaches/admissions officers have taken money against the policy of their University. Sure, proctors have helped test takers cheat on exams but this is a private company's policy that has been violated. These employees should be fired (and sued for damages) but these are civil matters between employers and an employees that behaved very unethically.

Sure, faces were pasted onto bodies in an attempt to mislead admissions officers. Immoral, yes, but like lying on a job application or a fake pic on Tender, not illegal.

To be honest, I'd rather colleges just accept direct donations for admission. If someone can bring $1,000,000 and help the entire institution make meaningful investments, why shouldn't they be admitted? Obviously, they should have to pass in order to get a diploma but that's what independent accreditation boards are for. I'd much rather my kid loose a spot to someone because they are rich than to loose a spot to some because of a racial quota (which is legal but should not be because of the equal protection clause).
The crime was that they paid the bribe money via a sham charity, then deducted it on their taxes. They’ve been charged with things like mail fraud, I don’t recall all the charges.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-13-2019 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 01:37 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
People keep saying admissions officers were involved, but I haven't seen that. I saw coaches, test proctors, and independent consultants. So far we have no names of actual admissions people... I think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Perhaps Columbia University is different from the other elite schools.
Grade inflation is only a thing at some of the elites. Others are more like grade deflators. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
LOL, everybody know's USC's motto is: "Pay the Fee, Get a B"
How stupid is your kid, that you need to cheat to get them in?
Especially when you consider that these are kids who attended expensice private college prep schools OR public schools in weathy high performing districts all their lives. They had access to top notch educations in environments created to groom every little bit of potential a kid has and churn out an ideal elite college candidate at the other end. And their parents could afford all the tutoring and enrichment and extracurriculars anyone could dream of.

But they STILL couldn't get a high enough score on a standardized test to be considered to a halfway prestigeous school on their own.

It's mind boggling.

Last edited by Tinawina; 03-13-2019 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 01:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post

A prospective student should not be denied just because some rich kid's mommy and daddy donated a ton of money to the school, unless that rich kid also has the qualifications to be admitted like any other person. Schools that accept kids of wealthy donors should find a way to add that kid to the class rather than take the spot someone else genuinely deserved on merit grounds. Otherwise, it's just another way for the rich and powerful to get ahead, when it's not deserved and they skate on by in life.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:20 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The crime was that they paid him via a sham charity, then deducted it on their taxes. They’ve been charged with things like mail fraud, I don’t recall all the charges.

So does a tax avoidance scheme really necessitate a RICO investigation and tons of FBI resources? The IRS can just send a letter for the tax due plus penalties and interest like they do for 99.9% of the underpayment schemes. There are so many better cases the FBI's financial crimes agents could be working on. How about the kinds that are directly targeting and hurting individual consumers. There's a lot of criminal behavior going on around student loans (and the educational institutions that make bogus claims to get that money). Why is throwing an old sleazeball in jail for shorting the treasury more important than protecting the public from financial crimes that have real victims.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:26 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I can understand fraudulent transcripts and SAT scores, but don't understand how they can fake athletic ability. What coach would want to carry a slug for 4 years, who can't play?
A coach who takes a bribe. That's who. And apparently, that's what was happening.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
People keep saying admissions officers were involved, but I haven't seen that. I saw coaches, test proctors, and independent consultants. So far we have no names of actual admissions people... I think?

Grade inflation is only a thing at some of the elites. Others are more like grade deflators. LOL

Especially when you consider that these are kids who attended expensice private college prep schools OR public schools in weathy high performing districts all their lives. They had access to top notch educations in environments created to groom every little bit of potential a kid has and churn out an ideal elite college candidate at the other end. And their parents could afford all the tutoring and enrichment and extracurriculars anyone could dream of.

But they STILL couldn't get a high enough score on a standardized test to be considered to a halfway prestigeous school on their own.

It's mind boggling.
Yet you can become president with that history!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events