Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 08:36 PM

575 posts, read 339,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
I would never have romantic interest in a person who takes foolish chances with his own, or other's lives. To me, that's a sign thta the person is immature & cannot be relied upon to make wise choices now or in the future. Such a very sad ending to what could have been a very happy beginning. ):
But for how long ? Their next vacation would highly likely get into identical media spotlight.

Don't get me wrong, it's fine if BOTH of them have same degree of foolishness and they both understand that this vacation can be their very last, as they literally live their lives to the fullest. But for the love of god, pay for the insurance that retrieves your body, so you don't ruin your immediate family (unless, that's what you actually want).

Imagine she would get pregnant, and he would depart afterwards.

She, literally, dodged a bullet.

Unfortunately, as anybody who had the opportunity to witness a tragic death of a loved one, it's a horrendous experience, with a multi-year grief processing as a next stage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 09:04 PM

92 posts, read 57,948 times
I love how we assume that our lowly existence is worthy of constant documentation and validation. Find your audience and entertain them. I can understand his desire to make a memorable statement to please his girlfriend, it seemed to only be effective and valuable if it were caught on film, which makes it a publicity stunt with diluted sincerity. Any case, I feel for the poor chap and his grieving family for he is just victim of circumstance. The camera made him do it.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:21 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyforest View Post
I love how we assume that our lowly existence is worthy of constant documentation and validation. Find your audience and entertain them. I can understand his desire to make a memorable statement to please his girlfriend, it seemed to only be effective and valuable if it were caught on film, which makes it a publicity stunt with diluted sincerity. Any case, I feel for the poor chap and his grieving family for he is just victim of circumstance. The camera made him do it.
People have been pulling these stunts to surprise their lovers long before cameras existed.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:17 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
People have been pulling these stunts to surprise their lovers long before cameras existed.
How many Greek Classics were about Men doing stupid crap for the love of their woman?

Or Romeo and Juliet? I'm not killing myself for anyone.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:59 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
How many Greek Classics were about Men doing stupid crap for the love of their woman?

Or Romeo and Juliet? I'm not killing myself for anyone.
Exactly. People do things out of passion. This wasn’t an idiotic selfie atop an iceberg cliff. He was doing something ridiculous to impress his lover, as many do, including animals (lol... watch a male jay try to woo his lady...)

Old 09-28-2019, 01:09 PM

50,750 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Exactly. People do things out of passion. This wasn’t an idiotic selfie atop an iceberg cliff. He was doing something ridiculous to impress his lover, as many do, including animals (lol... watch a male jay try to woo his lady...)
Right, I don’t think he thought of this as a death defying thing to do.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:34 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And she gets to post to show her friends how awesome he is.
And that's the problem I was talking about. Why do we live in a society where A. he can only be "awesome" for doing something like this, and B. she has to tell everyone she knows about it?

Old 09-28-2019, 02:39 PM

50,750 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
And that's the problem I was talking about. Why do we live in a society where A. he can only be "awesome" for doing something like this, and B. she has to tell everyone she knows about it?
She would’ve told everyone she knows about it in 1962, she just would’ve done it on the telephone then. I mean if you really wanna nitpick, what’s the point of a large diamond engagement ring, if not to have people say “wow” when they see it. Half the fun of having your loved one send you flowers at work, is people coming up to you and telling you what an awesome guy you have. This is nothing new at all. People aren’t posting it on world news sites, they’re posting it on their personal Facebook pages. It’s human nature to want to share about and and brag about good fortune. It’s just that the method they use to disseminate this information is different today.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:56 PM

35,046 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Darwin Award Winners

Old 09-28-2019, 10:03 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Right, I don’t think he thought of this as a death defying thing to do.
Right. It really shouldn't have been. When I saw him exhale bubbles before he started to ascend ... ugh. It's almost reflexive to inhale afterwards. You just can't exhale until you are ascending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events