Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 09:47 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I agree with you that we can't stop them, but don't quite understand why some people want to try to stop them. Who is a better judge than each individual to decide whether their life is worth carrying on? Stopping someone from killing themselves is not "saving" them, since they will end up dying anyway eventually. People should worry about themselves and let others figure such things out for themselves.
Anyway, I have no idea how one could kill themselves with a pencil other than maybe shove it deeply through their eyesocket into their brain or some such horrendous thing and nobody is going to go out that way - just about any of the usual methods are far better options. I think I'd rather set myself on fire than die by pencil.
When I was working at that LTC/Rehab facility a 47YO man came into the facility who had shot himself, but his wife quick called an ambulance and they "saved his life". "Saved", hooked up to tubes, brain dead, staring up at the ceiling every day.

I can only imagine what it's like for his savior wife to visit him!

Another patient shot himself 2X and he spent a whole year in a hospital with them piecing him back together. Released, he came to our facility, and was making such rapid progress, he was finally able to navigate a wheelchair. And? One afternoon, someone spotted him in his wheelchair, going willy-nilly towards a busy avenue, hellbent on rolling his wheelchair into heavy traffic. Some nurse ran her legs off to save him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 04:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
If I were a Swiss doctor, I'd have a $500 special. How difficult a medical procedure could it possibly be?
I imagine that they have hefty insurance to cover them from irate relatives who want to sue. And they probably have recovery services for the people who take the pills but then immediately change their mind and decide they don't want to die.

At any rate, cost would be the least of my concerns at that point.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:16 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
Who are you to say he's not better off after killing himself? And what do you think we are supposed to save people from, we all die anyway - you really want to die in a nursing home 95 years old? I sure as hell don't.
What the US needs is a legit way for people to exit their lives that doesn't involve terrifying methods such as heights, guns and ropes. The US is in the dark ages when it comes to suicide.
They are only terrifying because they result in death.

I don't want suicide out of the dark; it can stay there for all I care. It's a tragedy for family members & first responders & the last thing we need is to normalize it to our kids. As if the hedonistic, me-me-me counter-culture didn't make life miserable enough for everybody else; now I'm supposed to suffer their deaths as well?

Old 10-02-2019, 04:27 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
They are only terrifying because they result in death.

I don't want suicide out of the dark; it can stay there for all I care. It's a tragedy for family members & first responders & the last thing we need is to normalize it to our kids. As if the hedonistic, me-me-me counter-culture didn't make life miserable enough for everybody else; now I'm supposed to suffer their deaths as well?
No, there’s nothing terrifying to me about a quick and peaceful death that a person chooses for themselves. It wouldn’t have to be a tragedy for family members and first responders if it wasn’t messy and unexpected. Sure, it will always be sad to lose a loved one, but I would rather they die when and how they choose to instead of watching them get old, sick, and helpless.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:16 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
No, there’s nothing terrifying to me about a quick and peaceful death that a person chooses for themselves. It wouldn’t have to be a tragedy for family members and first responders if it wasn’t messy and unexpected. Sure, it will always be sad to lose a loved one, but I would rather they die when and how they choose to instead of watching them get old, sick, and helpless.
People like coschristi or worse are the reason suicides have nowhere to turn but horrifying and potentially agonizing methods to end their existence. There just isn't any empathy for people who want out, and this needs to change - it will, eventually.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:20 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
In my area, about 6-8 months ago, a 38 year old man stopped his car on the side of the freeway and jumped in front of a semi going 65 miles per hour.....it was a suicide, they found his suicide note.

How are we going to stop people from jumping in front of trucks and trains?

We just can't save everyone from themselves and we have to learn where to draw the line.
Quote:
Who are you to say he's not better off after killing himself? And what do you think we are supposed to save people from, we all die anyway - you really want to die in a nursing home 95 years old? I sure as hell don't.
What the US needs is a legit way for people to exit their lives that doesn't involve terrifying methods such as heights, guns and ropes. The US is in the dark ages when it comes to suicide.
You took my post completely wrong. When I said: "We just can't save everyone from themselves and we have to learn where to draw the line." I meant that we can't put walls and nets all over the country on every cliff someone could decide to jump off of.......and that is hardly me judging why someone decides to kill themselves.

I am pro assisted suicide/euthanasia.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:17 PM

914 posts, read 642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I used to follow the John Doe known as Lyle Stevik. He hung himself by kneeling which is how I think Robin Williams hung himself. Lyle was finally identified about a year ago.

Anyway, hanging is supposed to be a pretty brutal way to go. The body supposedly tries to fight the belt around the throat.
I recall reading somewhere that beloved Robin Williams had a tank of gas (helium, argon or nitrogen) in his room. He filled a plastic bag with it while his head was inside. He then took the strap from his robe to secure the bag (I actually believe it was duct tape)

Sounds like this is a peaceful painless method. The body believes it is still breathing air, but it's the gas without oxygen. Then you go to sleep and it's over. At least that is what I've read on the suicide sites.

btw, I agree we're in the dark ages when it comes to ending life, even when the life is not worthwhile because of aging or illness or disabilities or any other rational reason. people ought to be allowed to make those decisions. I guess you can in Oregon now.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:28 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You took my post completely wrong. When I said: "We just can't save everyone from themselves and we have to learn where to draw the line." I meant that we can't put walls and nets all over the country on every cliff someone could decide to jump off of.......and that is hardly me judging why someone decides to kill themselves.

I am pro assisted suicide/euthanasia.
This is what I meant also. We can’t stop it by making anything and everything off limits. My post was misunderstood too.

Quote:
I agree with you that we can't stop them, but don't quite understand why some people want to try to stop them. Who is a better judge than each individual to decide whether their life is worth carrying on? Stopping someone from killing themselves is not "saving" them, since they will end up dying anyway eventually. People should worry about themselves and let others figure such things out for themselves.
Anyway, I have no idea how one could kill themselves with a pencil other than maybe shove it deeply through their eyesocket into their brain or some such horrendous thing and nobody is going to go out that way - just about any of the usual methods are far better options. I think I'd rather set myself on fire than die by pencil.
Yes there are better ways. I was merely using the pencil as an example that anyone can use anything if they want to and we can’t stop any of them.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:42 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
I recall reading somewhere that beloved Robin Williams had a tank of gas (helium, argon or nitrogen) in his room. He filled a plastic bag with it while his head was inside. He then took the strap from his robe to secure the bag (I actually believe it was duct tape)

Sounds like this is a peaceful painless method. The body believes it is still breathing air, but it's the gas without oxygen. Then you go to sleep and it's over. At least that is what I've read on the suicide sites.

btw, I agree we're in the dark ages when it comes to ending life, even when the life is not worthwhile because of aging or illness or disabilities or any other rational reason. people ought to be allowed to make those decisions. I guess you can in Oregon now.
Now that would’ve been smarter if that were actually true.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:43 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I just read the article. Wow. I can't imagine. I hate my life at times but I'm too afraid of heights, pain, and hurting my family to end my own life. It's sad he couldn't find another way to ease his pain.
Hopefully one day people won't be stigmatized for having mental health issues and big Pharma will find medication without all the horrible side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events