Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:05 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Why do you hate yourself so much? You're also an "idiot homo sapien", are you not? If it weren't for zoos, some species would have died off years ago. You do know that zoos help repopulate animals in the wild also, right?
Your first sentence reeks of unwarranted hostility. You proved my point.

Zoos take more animals away from wild settings than add to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 07:19 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Not only do zoos promote awareness of conservation, they serve to protect critically endangered species.

No zoos? Say goodbye to the California condor. Say goodbye to the Arabian oryx. Say goodbye to the European bison. These species were all saved by zoo breeding programs. Wild tiger populations have fallen by 95% over the last century. Some subspecies are almost gone. The gene pool for these magnificent animals, however, is secure in various zoos. The South China Tiger? It only exists now in zoos. And you want those animals released, where they'll perish due to loss of habitat. That subspecies will then be extinct. But at least you'll feel good about it. Right?

I don't idealize zoos. There are species that do not do well there. When such species are not threatened in the wild, they should not be in zoos. And those that are held in zoos should be done so in proper environments. But the idea that they should be shuttered, that their presentation to the public of the magnificence of wild animals should be ended, that the revenue stream created - much of which is turned back into species protection in a variety of ways - should be turned off, that their breeding programs should be ended (you're not volunteering to pick up all that lost funding, are you?) is nihilistic.

You're not offering a solution to anything. You just want the difficult reality to be turned away from your eyes so you don't have to feel bad about it anymore. Apparently, because it's easier to ignore species quietly going extinct in far off wilds than it is to ignore your local zoo.

I wouldn't want to be torn apart by a pack of hyenas. I wouldn't want to die of exposure after breaking a leg. I would want to waste away from disease. Yet those are typical fates of wild animals. It’s the same with other species you mention that are”saved by zoos.

I wouldn't want to be owned. I wouldn't want to be neutered. I wouldn't want to be trained to sniff out cavaders or assist blind people. So there should be no pets or service animals, right? Your 'logic'.

California condors were almost wiped out by ignorant people, so no one is a hero because they brought them back from near extinction. The same for other species you mention.

I am guessing a wild animal would prefer to take its chances living the life it was meant to live in its natural environment, rather than being locked in a display to be gawked at and trivialized by someone like the fool in the Bronx zoo.

I don’t remember saying a thing about “releasing zoo animals”, those are your words, although they would have better lives in sanctuaries, after zoos are closed.

What do service animals and pets have to do with this? Off topic.

I also said nothing about “offering a solution”. You don’t know me, don’t misquote me, or take my sentences out context.

Done here.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:01 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Your first sentence reeks of unwarranted hostility. You proved my point.

Zoos take more animals away from wild settings than add to them.
I don’t think it’s true in this case. Almost every animal you see in the zoo today was born there. There would be many species that are completely gone by now if it were not for zoos. As an aside, their habitats are severely under threat. The wild of now is not the wild of 50 years ago. Are you have to do is watch some YouTube videos of skinny polar bears starving to death walking miles and miles and miles in search of food and not being able to find anything. They will one day be gone too probably except for the ones in zoos.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:37 AM

777 posts, read 880,612 times
Danielle in the lion's den.
God saved her from her
own stupidity.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:55 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
What should the sign say?
but what does the Fox say???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

Old 10-03-2019, 11:40 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Where is the best place for suicidal people?
Very high, remote cliffs. It might look like an accident.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:31 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
She should have been eaten. Natural selection at it's best...

Old 10-03-2019, 01:43 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
She should have been eaten. Natural selection at it's best...
The lion thought it was a trick and said “No, I’m too smart to fall for this.”

Old 10-03-2019, 01:45 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,637,629 times
Maybe the lion was a on lowfat diet.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:28 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times
The lion is hilarious. Like “ I’m not messing with this fool.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events