Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:24 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Same trend in southeast Fort Worth. Folks get tired of fighting for basic amenities. I never quite understood why they are locating the majority of distribution centers, warehouses etc up north when the folks that really need the jobs are in southern half of the metro. Build a Amazon distribution center in places like South Oakcliff, Pleasant Grove or Fort Worth Stop Six community instead of up north in places that don’t need them. You bring good paying jobs into an area crime will decrease and people will take more pride in where they live.
Simple answer: CRIME
A large warehouse/DC in a bad neighborhood is a magnet for thieves. In order to prevent this, a company has to invest in a lot more security measures, such as armed guards, electric fences, and cameras. They also have to have a secure employee parking lot so their employees' cars aren't burglarized while they are at work. All of these things are additional costs that aren't necessary when a facility is built in a safer area.

As for the jobs situation, yes, you will have more people who live nearby applying for the entry-level jobs, but many of them aren't able to be hired due to having a criminal conviction, such as theft/burglary. Also, not all of the jobs at those facilities are entry-level, and it becomes much harder to fill the skilled/management positions when the company is located in a high-crime area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 12:24 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
A large warehouse/DC in a bad neighborhood is a magnet for thieves. In order to prevent this, a company has to invest in a lot more security measures, such as armed guards, electric fences, and cameras. They also have to have a secure employee parking lot so their employees' cars aren't burglarized while they are at work. All of these things are additional costs that aren't necessary when a facility is built in a safer area.

As for the jobs situation, yes, you will have more people who live nearby applying for the entry-level jobs, but many of them aren't able to be hired due to having a criminal conviction, such as theft/burglary. Also, not all of the jobs at those facilities are entry-level, and it becomes much harder to fill the skilled/management positions when the company is located in a high-crime area.
Crime is a direct result of no resources and no jobs. When an area starts to decline, it is the job of the city to find ways to limit it and bring investment/revitalization into that area. For years Dallas has failed to do so in mostly majority minority communities. I hate to make it a race thing, but there’s no way residents in (mostly white areas) Lakewood or Preston Hollow would deal with trash not being picked up in their neighborhoods. Dallas Code Enforcement is a complete and total joke in Southern Dallas. I can literally call them and the problem is never resolved. People are really tired of it and they’re moving out.

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-12-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-12-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Same trend in southeast Fort Worth. Folks get tired of fighting for basic amenities. I never quite understood why they are locating the majority of distribution centers, warehouses etc up north when the folks that really need the jobs are in southern half of the metro. Build a Amazon distribution center in places like South Oakcliff, Pleasant Grove or Fort Worth Stop Six community instead of up north in places that don’t need them. You bring good paying jobs into an area crime will decrease and people will take more pride in where they live.
I believe there are cities that don’t want to invest in lower income/minority communities. They’d rather invest in areas where it’s not needed, so they’ll attract the next big company. I know that’s been a thing in Dallas for decades. As they pour more money into those areas, they willing watch other parts of town (that desperately need the investment) degrade and decay. Once an area becomes a “ghetto” or “the hood” it’s much harder to reverse the trend. That’s when crime and other social ills become a major problem. Just look at parts of Oak Cliff, that’s a prime example. A once solidly upper/middle class area turned into a mostly lower income area in less than a generation (in some cases). Don’t get me wrong all of Oak Cliff isn’t the hood. There’s some really nice areas of Oak Cliff...but the vast majority isn’t so nice. People in Southern Dallas are tired of fighting city hall for attention...so people have given up and moved. I’m really trying not to be that person but it’s getting harder.

People don’t realize that Dallas had less than 2,000 people move to this city in the latest census estimate (from July 1, 2016, to July 1, 2017) . The Metroplex had a population increase of 146,000 people (We’re the fastest growing metro area in North America). Dallas couldn’t even capture 5% of the growth. Meanwhile, Fort Worth gained 18,664 people in the same time period. The very slow growth is a direct result of bad leadership. We should all remember what happened when the 2010 census numbers were released. Dallas grew by 0.8% from 2000 to 2010. That’s the lowest growth rate in history of this city. The city was shocked and embarrassed by the abysmal population growth numbers. So, that shows you what I’m saying has truth to it. People are leaving dude and it saddens me to have to say it. I love Dallas but things got to change...☹️

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-12-2019 at 01:12 PM..

Old 06-12-2019, 01:02 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
So we should have left the area fallow?
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...o-lure-costco/

Well, certainly we shouldn't be doing this^

Why would we be paying Costco to move there? If it was really such a good spot they should pay for it themselves. Corporate Welfare.

Better still, we should have built something there that isn't 70% parking lot and not 99% disposable one use.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:24 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,844,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

Excuse my French but so bleeping what that a person has a crimminal conviction. If the person can do the job and do it well they should be hired regardless. People have the ability to change and evolve you know. The idea here is to get people off the street to live productive lives. We all know that crimminal background checks have been used on many occasions to disqualify the minority candidate. Nobody should have to drive an hour to work and from work to get a decent job.

The same way tax incentives are giving to corporations to relocate or expand, incentives could also be used to offset the added cost of additional security for the facility.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:45 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,844,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I believe there are cities that don’t want to invest in lower income/minority communities. They’d rather invest in areas where it’s not needed, so they’ll attract the next big company. I know that’s been a thing in Dallas for decades. As they pour more money into those areas, they willing watch other parts of town (that desperately need the investment) degrade and decay. Once an area becomes a “ghetto” or “the hood” it’s much harder to reverse the trend. That’s when crime and other social ills become a major problem. Just look at parts of Oak Cliff, that’s a prime example. A once solidly upper/middle class area turned into a mostly lower income area in less than a generation (in some cases). Don’t get me wrong all of Oak Cliff isn’t the hood. There’s some really nice areas of Oak Cliff...but the vast majority isn’t so nice. People in Southern Dallas are tired of fighting city hall for attention...so people have given up and moved. I’m really trying not to be that person but it’s getting harder.

People don’t realize that Dallas had less than 2,000 people move to this city in the latest census estimate (from July 1, 2016, to July 1, 2017) . The Metroplex had a population increase of 146,000 people (We’re the fastest growing metro area in North America). Dallas couldn’t even capture 5% of the growth. Meanwhile, Fort Worth gained 18,664 people in the same time period. The very slow growth is a direct result of bad leadership. We should all remember what happened when the 2010 census numbers were released. Dallas grew by 0.8% from 2000 to 2010. That’s the lowest growth rate in history of this city. The city was shocked and embarrassed by the abysmal population growth numbers. So, that shows you what I’m saying has truth to it. People are leaving dude and it saddens me to have to say it. I love Dallas but things got to change...☹️
I know right and trust me I know the exact social ills that you are referring too.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,445,576 times
Quote:
Excuse my French but so bleeping what that a person has a crimminal conviction. If the person can do the job and do it well they should be hired regardless. People have the ability to change and evolve you know. The idea here is to get people off the street to live productive lives. We all know that crimminal background checks have been used on many occasions to disqualify the minority candidate. Nobody should have to drive an hour to work and from work to get a decent job.

The same way tax incentives are giving to corporations to relocate or expand, incentives could also be used to offset the added cost of additional security for the facility.

Look the unfortunate harsh reality is that no private business is going to voluntarily take on much higher security expenses just to be in South Dallas when they can be in Frisco/Plano etc and have to spend practically zero on security expenses. Businesses exist to make money, not for social engineering. Sucks to say but true.

Equally important, I don't know that any private business would be willing to expose their employees to the consequences that come in being in a high crime area (muggings, car jackings or even worse) when they can be in a safe area and not have to worry about the wellbeing of their employees.

A small but pointed example of how bad the situation is in South Dallas. A friend who used to live there came to visit me in Wylie. He parked in front of my house and saw our AC unit which is located outside the house. He said that in South Dallas, AC units have to be fenced in and padlocked otherwise they will get carried off. And that's just s residential AC unit. Imagine businesses with far more expensive equipment that they would now have to worry about. It really makes the decision to go north a no brainer.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:55 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,114,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Look the unfortunate harsh reality is that no private business is going to voluntarily take on much higher security expenses just to be in South Dallas when they can be in Frisco/Plano etc and have to spend practically zero on security expenses. Businesses exist to make money, not for social engineering. Sucks to say but true.

Equally important, I don't know that any private business would be willing to expose their employees to the consequences that come in being in a high crime area (muggings, car jackings or even worse) when they can be in a safe area and not have to worry about the wellbeing of their employees.

A small but pointed example of how bad the situation is in South Dallas. A friend who used to live there came to visit me in Wylie. He parked in front of my house and saw our AC unit which is located outside the house. He said that in South Dallas, AC units have to be fenced in and padlocked otherwise they will get carried off. And that's just s residential AC unit. Imagine businesses with far more expensive equipment that they would now have to worry about. It really makes the decision to go north a no brainer.
The second part is critical. I have a friend who relocated his business for this exact reason (relocated still within the City of Dallas but to a safer area). The welfare of his employees was the primary reason.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:23 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,217,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post

To be fair, unlike Dallas, Fort Worth has still has tons of undeveloped land. There's huge new housing developments going up west of the 820 loop and off of Chisholm Trail south of 20. Dallas doesn't have anything like that anymore. Most of the development space left in Dallas is really infill.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
To be fair, unlike Dallas, Fort Worth has still has tons of undeveloped land. There's huge new housing developments going up west of the 820 loop and off of Chisholm Trail south of 20. Dallas doesn't have anything like that anymore. Most of the development space left in Dallas is really infill.
There is a lot of vacant land in Dallas. The city is not built out at all like people believe. If you only consider North Dallas...then yes. But there are numerous locations in Southern Dallas that’s semi rural. There are farms in Southern Dallas with cows/horses grazing. The I-20 corridor and Spur 408 doesn’t have a lot of heavy development.

Even if Dallas was built out, that’s still horrible population gains...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas