Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 09:40 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Semantics? It's generations of people referring to certain areas by certain names. I get that these things change some over time. That said virtually no one around here honestly thinks of KWP as being in North Dallas. Instead you and the other guy are engaged in Bill Clinton quality hair-splitting.

This is a pretty fair run down.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dallas
"You and the other guy".

You're the only one arguing over something so minute and pointless, while completely missing the bigger point. As is the problem in today's country. People stay in the weeds like soliders rather than see the bigger picture like generals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 10:27 AM

19,802 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
"You and the other guy".

You're the only one arguing over something so minute and pointless, while completely missing the bigger point. As is the problem in today's country. People stay in the weeds like soliders rather than see the bigger picture like generals.
What grand point am I missing?

Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM

6,697 posts, read 9,954,100 times
Quote:
No investment? False statements like that do not help your arguments.

Sticking with I-30 as the line..........
Home Depot will build its largest distribution center anywhere on West Jefferson.
Cristo Rey opened a new school
There's all sorts of private investment activity- restaurants, homes, apts, retail etc - currently in and around Bishop Arts.
There's something of building boom in Trinity Groves.
Parkland has make significant investments in brick and mortar and mobile clinics in South Dallas.
I could go on.

Every big city everywhere has problems with relative poverty and absolute poverty. My guess is over the next 15 years we will see significant growth in South Dallas.
I live south of Downtown. None of that is significant.

Hell, talk to anyone who lives down here and they couldn’t tell you one thing that’s helped to increase investment. I have literally watched portions of my area decline. People who don’t live down here really think they understand. Bishop Arts is a couple of blocks of Oak Cliff. The vast majority of Oak Cliff is still in deep poverty.

If you were to have those same things in North Dallas, it wouldn’t even be a headline or significant. It has gotten so bad, I am considering selling my house and moving somewhere else. I don’t want to move, but I feel like I have no choice. I’ve tried to stick it out but the decline is intensifying...

Old 06-11-2019, 10:51 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
What grand point am I missing?
You know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post

Hell, talk to anyone who lives down here and they couldn’t tell you one thing that’s helped to increase investment. I have literally watched portions of my area decline. People who don’t live down here really think they understand. Bishop Arts is a couple of blocks of Oak Cliff. The vast majority of Oak Cliff is still in deep poverty.

If you were to have those same things in North Dallas, it wouldn’t even be a headline or significant. It has gotten so bad, I am considering selling my house and moving somewhere else. I don’t want to move, but I feel like I have no choice. I’ve tried to stick it out but the decline is intensifying...
Where do you see most people in your area moving to? Is it the South Dallas County 'burbs? Arlington or GP? North side of I-30? I know a couple people that moved over to South Arlington.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,269,061 times
Quote:
No investment? False statements like that do not help your arguments.

Sticking with I-30 as the line..........
Home Depot will build its largest distribution center anywhere on West Jefferson.
Cristo Rey opened a new school
There's all sorts of private investment activity- restaurants, homes, apts, retail etc - currently in and around Bishop Arts.
There's something of building boom in Trinity Groves.
Parkland has make significant investments in brick and mortar and mobile clinics in South Dallas.
I could go on.

Every big city everywhere has problems with relative poverty and absolute poverty. My guess is over the next 15 years we will see significant growth in South Dallas.
Since you insisted that you are sticking with the I-30 line, I shouldn't have to point out that Trinity Groves is north of I-30...but you are clearly a local who knows more about his city than any of us, so you already knew that....It's in West Dallas.

Well, let's not forget the Bishop arts basically pulled itself up by its own bootstraps with little help from city hall before it got nice and had outside investors hop in. (Hmmm, is this an argument for the resilience walkable places people actually like????)

I mean the exception proves the rule, there are plenty of neighbourhoods in the northern half of Dallas that are falling apart/ have high crime and poverty.

Monte Anderson has done more for southern Dallas than decades of political hacks and goons. Now you have the city and the shills over at the DMN trying to blame the MLK BLVD issues on a car wash instead of dealing with the real issues. Classic Dallas.

I'm quite frankly surprised you didn't mention the Cedars as well which is a success story south of 30.

I mean you are right that some investment happens in South Dallas. Remember the city spendings like 700k or some stupid amount on Rudy's Chicken on Lancaster? I mean, amazing chicken, the best in town, but that seems ridiculous.

Dallas both simultaneously underinvests in the Southern Side and also, when they do invest, more often than not waste it.

One New School and a Warehouse for a big box store aren't even close to the sort of development that the northern half of the city gets. Heck, the city even subsidized a Costco off 75. WTF?

Old 06-11-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Yeah. It's just a small part of OC north of Jefferson. Also, it wasn't even the cities doing, it was small private investment by individuals who made it popular before the big dogs moved in.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:

1. You said no investment. That was a false claim. But let's move on.

2. All investment is significant. To wit the Home Depot Distribution Center will employ 800 people at more than decent pay. Cristo Rey will educate kids very well - that's always valuable.

3. There is no magic wand to quickly ease the economic issues in South Dallas. The two places to start are educational attainment and decreasing violent crime.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:34 AM

6,697 posts, read 9,954,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
You know.

Where do you see most people in your area moving to? Is it the South Dallas County 'burbs? Arlington or GP? North side of I-30? I know a couple people that moved over to South Arlington.
Yes, the vast MAJORITY are fleeing (not leaving) to the southern suburbs. My mother was a longtime Oak Cliff resident, she just recently moved to Lancaster. My mother’s pastor (which we are good friends with) moved from Oak Cliff to DeSoto. It’s a trend that’s only getting stronger. The black middle class is leaving Dallas.

My immediate family moved from South Dallas and Oak Cliff to the southern suburbs too.

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-11-2019 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-11-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Since you insisted that you are sticking with the I-30 line, I shouldn't have to point out that Trinity Groves is north of I-30...but you are clearly a local who knows more about his city than any of us, so you already knew that....It's in West Dallas.

Well, let's not forget the Bishop arts basically pulled itself up by its own bootstraps with little help from city hall before it got nice and had outside investors hop in. (Hmmm, is this an argument for the resilience walkable places people actually like????)

I mean the exception proves the rule, there are plenty of neighbourhoods in the northern half of Dallas that are falling apart/ have high crime and poverty.

Monte Anderson has done more for southern Dallas than decades of political hacks and goons. Now you have the city and the shills over at the DMN trying to blame the MLK BLVD issues on a car wash instead of dealing with the real issues. Classic Dallas.

I'm quite frankly surprised you didn't mention the Cedars as well which is a success story south of 30.

I mean you are right that some investment happens in South Dallas. Remember the city spendings like 700k or some stupid amount on Rudy's Chicken on Lancaster? I mean, amazing chicken, the best in town, but that seems ridiculous.

Dallas both simultaneously underinvests in the Southern Side and also, when they do invest, more often than not waste it.

One New School and a Warehouse for a big box store aren't even close to the sort of development that the northern half of the city gets. Heck, the city even subsidized a Costco off 75. WTF?

I meant The Cedars when I wrote Trinity Groves, oh well.

So far as the COSTCO - I don't recall the specifics but that COSTCO projects to be a net financial winner for the city within 5 or 6 years.

Trust me I want city government as uninvolved as possible. There have been so many botched city and county backed housing projects/efforts in Southern Dallas it makes me sick. My personal fav. is city giving ~$800K to a wholly unqualified contractor, who was a pal of a city housing official, to build new homes. Of course the effort was a total failure.

I would have supported none of this......but here's decent run down of the Rudy's Chicken deal it wasn't just about paying him to move a few yards.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dall...-million-of-it

So far as the car wash on MLK and "Classic Dallas" and The DMN and The City...........Judge Eric Moye, who is absolutely not a nut, issued several orders to the car wash - including 24x7 security and restricted hours. Like it or not that car wash has been an epicenter of crime and especially drug dealing for years.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
1. You said no investment. That was a false claim. But let's move on.
-Alexa, google the "ackchyually" meme.-

That's focusing on a small nitpicky point to feel smart and win an argument rather than understand the broader point and actually wanting to engage in an adult conversation. I would like to assume the best of you that you are smart enough to know the difference and are just being petty.

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 06-11-2019 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas