Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:24 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Well I have watched a lot of these private schools spring up over the years and most of them are white flight 'academies'. I remain unconvinced that they are good schools. The old prestigious private schools - one of which you attended "ranger" are excellent and have tried to diversify their student population over the years.
Yes, that's a great point. But the old, established North Dallas private schools are not white flight academies. Schools like St. Mark's, Hockaday, Greenhill, Jesuit, and Ursuline, and even Bishop Lynch and Bishop Dunne have been around for 50 or more years (Ursuline has been in Dallas for 133 years). There were many white flight private schools which mostly opened in the early 1970s. ESD and Trinity Christian are good examples of schools that started with families leaving the public school system, for "white flight" or other reasons, but have since moved on and become respectable and diverse schools for families looking for a more religious environment. Dallas' real "white flight academy" movement, however, was unlike the Deep South, because it was mostly in the form of suburban public schools rather than private schools.

BTW Jesuit was actually the first school in North Texas to integrate, in 1955, over 20 years before DISD integrated its high schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:21 AM

434 posts, read 1,482,272 times
Frisco IS a destinationation city for the far north suburbs.
Frisco is a smaller version of what Dallas is to its adjoining towns.

sports venue, shopping, conventions

You can't deny it.

Dallas would be the hub I guess and Frisco is the major branch in the north.

Much like Cedar Hill is becoming a central point for south of Dallas.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscountry View Post
Frisco IS a destinationation city for the far north suburbs.
Frisco is a smaller version of what Dallas is to its adjoining towns.

sports venue, shopping, conventions

You can't deny it.

Dallas would be the hub I guess and Frisco is the major branch in the north.

Much like Cedar Hill is becoming a central point for south of Dallas.
Plano is much more so the major branch in the north. That's why it's the Dallas-Irving-Plano branch of the Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington metroplex in official US census records.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
BTW Jesuit was actually the first school in North Texas to integrate, in 1955, over 20 years before DISD integrated its high schools.
Actually my high school integrated (first blacks - we had many Italians, Greeks, Jews, Hispanics and even a few Asians -- rare in the 30s, 40s and 50s) in the mid 1960s, not 1975. By 1975 most DISD schools were well on the way to being majority minority.

Here's a recent story about that:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/ksherrington/stories/050309dnsposherrington.3c2de2a.html (broken link)

Old 05-29-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Actually my high school integrated (first blacks - we had many Italians, Greeks, Jews, Hispanics and even a few Asians -- rare in the 30s, 40s and 50s) in the mid 1960s, not 1975. By 1975 most DISD schools were well on the way to being majority minority.

Here's a recent story about that:

In early days of integration, Woodrow player set the tone | Kevin Sherrington Columns | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/ksherrington/stories/050309dnsposherrington.3c2de2a.html - broken link)
Woodrow was a special case because of the neighborhood, I believe. However, DISD did not desegregate its high schools for the most part until 1976. The few black families who lived in the Hillcrest or WT White or TJ neighborhoods before that time had to send their children to LG Pinkston High School. Likewise, schools like Sunset, Adamson, Kimball, and Carter were entirely white until 1976, while their neighborhoods were largely black at that time--the kids had to drive past neighborhood high schools to attend Booker T, Lincoln, and Madison.

It is pretty odd that "non-whites" like Mediterranean people, Jews, and Hispanics were considered white at that time and attended white schools, whereas African Americans could not.

My how things have changed.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:51 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Woodrow was a special case because of the neighborhood, I believe. However, DISD did not desegregate its high schools for the most part until 1976. The few black families who lived in the Hillcrest or WT White or TJ neighborhoods before that time had to send their children to LG Pinkston High School. Likewise, schools like Sunset, Adamson, Kimball, and Carter were entirely white until 1976, while their neighborhoods were largely black at that time--the kids had to drive past neighborhood high schools to attend Booker T, Lincoln, and Madison.

It is pretty odd that "non-whites" like Mediterranean people, Jews, and Hispanics were considered white at that time and attended white schools, whereas African Americans could not.

My how things have changed.
Wait, that can't be right. I thought the whole busing issue in the 70s had more to do with Dallas itself being so segregated that "like ended up with like" not out of force, but just neighborhood. I was around in the 70s and remember a few (very few) black kids being in the WT White feeder pattern. To force those kids to cross town to go to an all black school would have been highly illegal by that time, and even in what was then a more racist town, I don't see how that's possible . The 70s, though we still had far to go, were not the 50s.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Desegregating Dallas Schools (http://library.law.smu.edu/disd/background.shtm - broken link) Legal history of desegregation in Dallas.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:13 PM

DISD considered itself desegregated in the early 1960s...this was because they started with the first graders and that the district would desegregate over the next several years as these kids elevated each year. However, DISD was not officially declared unitary (that is, one school system and not two in practice as well as law) until 2003, at which point there were so few white pupils remaining in DISD schools as to make further desegregation impossible.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:14 PM

As interesting as all this is, though, I see this thread has gotten pretty off topic. It might make for a great thread of its own though.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 PM

52,690 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Frisco is going to be great. It is being designed so well by so many planners, and it may be the most well-planned city in the Metroplex. It's got a very exciting future. It is fast becoming a destination with the all the sports teams playing there, and great master-planned development, plus the incoming railroad museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas