Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times

Advertisements

meh. I just spent the week in Dallas and came away with similiar thoughts. DALLATUDE sounds about right!

Dallas seems a little too big for it's britches...I couldn't get over how trendy/plasticy the people seemed...but not fashionable. Almost like they had adopted attitudes that they thought were cool, but if they set foot in Chicago or New York they would instantly realize that faux "I've got somewhere to be, get out of my way, look at my trendy glasses" is...well, not really cool.

I stopped at a 7-11 and I felt like I almost froze over with all the "coolness" around me ...somehow I KNOW not everyone was in that big of a hurry, but it seemed like the cool thing to do...look at me, I'm gonna brush through this 7-11 and get my drink and get out of here! I'm important!

lol....thanks, sorry, etc. But that is my impression. Really, it did strike me as a big rather comsopolitan city...for Texas. A bunch of big buildings with not much substance to be found.

I was looking for it. I didn't hate it. But I didn't really like it either. The attitude doesn't fit the city. It would be an okay/nice city if the want-to-be pretentiousness were taken down a notch or two.

Not sure how to arrange for that.

Go ahead, hate on me! But I've travelled all over too and it's funny to me how I found myself nodding along with the OP, he was just pretty brave to say it all....and a little harsh, but I had to agree!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I'd be willing to bet you were on the north side of town or suburbs not too far off Preston Road. The 'real Dallas' is not like that.

'Dallitude' was coined to disparage the types who work retail at Neiman's or somewhere and don't make much money but spend all their bucks on clothes on sale with their discounts and then stand, model and preen at J.R.'s

Usually they are not from Dallas!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I believe you, however, Dallas metro has over 5 million people. So you're bound to meet others that are nice and friendly. That is what is so good about large cities. The varieties of characters.

One rule is rude and snobbish people usually always hang out in groups. So if you meet one rude snob you're bound to meet a ton of other ones. Also you can tell they are a snob by their face and body language. Don't expect anything polite and friendly out of them.

Second rule is give it a week before you go out on the town again and see what varieties you meet after second and third tries if the city still sucks the life out of you it is time to move...

Also if you are a minority you might run into far more snobbishness.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:19 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
In all honesty most of the rude people I've met around here are transplants or the children of transplants. There is a cultural difference here (meaning most of the southern states) from other parts of the country--polite manners, respect for elders, and common courtesy aren't just an added bonus here, they're expected.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Let me guess. You are an "elder." LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
In all honesty most of the rude people I've met around here are transplants or the children of transplants. There is a cultural difference here (meaning most of the southern states) from other parts of the country--polite manners, respect for elders, and common courtesy aren't just an added bonus here, they're expected.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 PM

83 posts, read 211,013 times
We got the opposite in the Dallas area. My wife and I found most people to be quite polite and helpful. Come to Albuquerque if you want to see rude and obnoxious people. I HATE ALBUQUERQUE!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Let me guess. You are an "elder." LOL
I'm 19.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 PM

346 posts, read 730,711 times
That's what I was saying, that I'm sure it's the transplants. The native Texans I've known have been pretty friendly and helpful, in general.
Albuquerque is bad??? Wow. that really surprises me. I was only there for a summer and visiting other times, but I thought some of the coolest, most laid back people were from there. I was thinking, too, that in a lot of places I've lived, people tease me about having fair skin and the only place I wasn't teased was in Albuquerque.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:23 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Ain't that the truth. After being gone for a week to the west coast....... HA! Dallas ain't even close to being "rude" or pretentious. LOL!!!
I'm going to take a guess that the attitude coming forth from the victim here probably gave them the vibe that the people they were around were "rude".

It would be a safe bet to make that the shirt was meant to be a total joke.

Oh, and considering the op joined in 2007 and has only made 3 posts...........
It's funny because Southern people come to the east and west coast and think people are rude when they don't smile really big and fake and ask nosy questions about you. They interpret that as being rude when in reality that's just normal. People in the rest of the country don't like it when you try to get in their business. I don't need to say hi to every stranger I walk by. I don't need to wave to people while driving. I dont think people are being friendly when they ask me what my religion is or why I don't have a foreign accent and that I speak really good English.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:33 AM

175 posts, read 303,941 times
From what I hear, Dallas had a pretentious reputation in Texas long before a large number of transplants started moving in, so please, let's not ignore that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas