Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:58 PM

64 posts, read 141,346 times

Advertisements

I can't message you and don't want to get in trouble by posting her site, but yes i do know a good trainer here in Northern DE.

not sure what to do...lol....ima have to look at the rules and see when or if i can start messaging...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Do you know what the pet limits are in some of the towns? I know some towns limit it to 2, others 6, others have no limits. Sometimes it doesn't even depend on the amount of property you have - ie, you can have an acre and only 2 dogs are allowed in some states. Am speaking generally b/c I have no idea about DE (other than over-55 where I assume it's probably 2). Anyway, just curious.
I asked this elsewhere and these are the replies i got......

Quote:
Over a certain limit in Delaware and you need a kennel license (I'm not sure the number, truthfully). Certain communities (such as deed restricted townhomes and condominiums) that are subject to bylaws can restrict the number of animals permitted.

And to be honest, Chase, I don't believe any of the limitations are state limitations. I don't think there is a state in the union that limits the number of animals you can have to two. However, there are always limitations on space and housing (so you can't run a kennel without a license or a stable without a license). Again, communities may limit it, but if you have property, can show the authorities that you can adequately house/feed your animals, I don't think there is any state limitation in the US on what you can own (other than what I mentioned above).
Quote:
Yeah I'm pretty sure it varies depending on where you are. Also what you can have. In Middletown there is no livestock or farm animals allowed within town limits. Outside of the town proper, you could still have livestock if you wanted, but most of the houses around there now are developments which I'm sure have deed restrictions on such things.

best i can do

Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 PM

405 posts, read 1,375,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_from_DE View Post
I can't message you and don't want to get in trouble by posting her site, but yes i do know a good trainer here in Northern DE.

not sure what to do...lol....ima have to look at the rules and see when or if i can start messaging...
I just added your name to my buddylist you should be able to message me now.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:44 PM

Cool thanks Laural, and Honey crisp, a little bit more info

Quote:
Chase, she should call Middletown and see if they have a town limit (more than likely they do not) and she should check with her community civic association (assuming she's moving into a deed-restricted community) to see if they have a limit. Delaware, as a state, doesn't have one (I looked over the code) and their restrictions are on kennels and licensing.
Quote:
Actually, I know Delaware doesn't have a limit... Because people busted for hoarding are fined pursuant to cruelty laws (eg., they did not provide proper care for the animals), not the violation of ownership laws.

And, as Py mentioned, we're talking domesticated "pet" animals here. Most cities and towns in the state have regulations regarding livestock, which is a whole other issue.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Do you know what the pet limits are in some of the towns? I know some towns limit it to 2, others 6, others have no limits. Sometimes it doesn't even depend on the amount of property you have - ie, you can have an acre and only 2 dogs are allowed in some states. Am speaking generally b/c I have no idea about DE (other than over-55 where I assume it's probably 2). Anyway, just curious.
Yep we had a heck of a time with this, we finally found a community that didn't have a dog limit. Your right it doesn't matter how big your property is the newer the home, the more likely their will be deed restrictions regarding the number of dogs.

I have to say we passed up a couple of nice homes because the people let their "one" dog be a nuisance and bark nonstop without even a reprimand out of them, and they were outside. No wonder their neighbors were moving, AND it was the houses on either side of them. It was a damn shame to cause the houses were really nice with a big pond out back. The basement was to die for, professionally fiinished with a bar and a theater room, it was stunning. But I could hear the dog from inside the house and I was getting a headache. Oh well.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:55 PM

The first thing we did before moving to Delaware was to check out the dog situation, we will be getting a dog kennel license even though we don't breed just because of the number of dogs we have. The licensing of dogs is generally a county issue. So we are covered. Each house we looked at we pulled up deed restrictions. We put a lot of thought into our new home.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:33 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,977 times
This is Buddy, our Saint Bernard.
Attached Thumbnails
Dogs, Dogs, Dogs!-p3.jpg  

Old 04-29-2008, 04:42 PM

Buddy is very handsome I love the sunglasses. My guys faces are so narrow they just fall off. LOL Do you have any more pics?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:47 PM

I wish we could rename this thread to the Dogs of Delaware. I wonder if people have more big dogs here cause because they have bigger backyards. Hmmm...

Old 04-29-2008, 04:49 PM

Are there any other dog parks in Delaware besides the one they are building in Middletown?

How friendly is Delaware towards dogs, are they allowed in stores?

Are they allowed on any beaches?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware