Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 06:38 PM

96 posts, read 190,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryheataz View Post
Sounds like a pretty nice place. Since you have been a resident since 2010 could you give your comment on any issues with the noise with the DAFB. I have heard conflicting information. Some say it's no problem and others say it's an issue. We will still check out the community ourselves, as well as, Spring Arbor.
Hi, dryheataz! Like many, I don't mind at all that 'sound of liberty'. Those big planes and the people who fly them never cease to amaze me. Still, their proximity isn't for everyone. It is, indeed, a very individual choice.

I hope that, while you're "in the neighborhood", you'll also take a look at Noble's Pond. Like Champions Club, it's in lower-tax Kent County. (It has a Dover address, but is just outside--north of--the city limit which further limits your tax liability.) It also offers very attractive benefits, beautiful models of value, lots of on- and off-prem activities and terrific builders who are great in working with you--even for many special requests--to assure that you're satisfied. I plan to make it my future home community for just those reasons.

All the best to you in your search. And, while you're at it, I sure wish you could talk my AZ friend into moving to DE too! She's far too far away!

Have fun in your new adventure!
-----------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:37 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,417 times
Smile Nobles Pond is now on You-Tube

I got an email from Noble's Pond yesterday and attached were great videos of the pool opening this past May, the clubhouse, construction going on, etc. Makes me want to move like yesterday. I have pretty much decided on Noble's Pond, too. It will be 180 degrees from where I live now.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 AM

2,027 posts, read 3,347,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I can't help but get annoyed by some who want to move here BUT this or that. Like I've tried to convey numerous times (sometimes not so nicely) Don't try to change us to suit you. If you must have mass transit and everything that goes with it, Kent & Sussex County Delaware should be eliminated from the possible places to move list.
How about Senior Transportation - do you have that?

I am not moving to Delaware, but i'm moving from NJ to another state - alone - and my relatives are always telling me to check about senior transportation, buses, etc. becuz they worry about medical appts., if i become unable to drive, etc. I'm 52 now.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:22 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,551,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post

I am not moving to Delaware, but i'm moving from NJ to another state - alone - and my relatives are always telling me to check about senior transportation, buses, etc. becuz they worry about medical appts., if i become unable to drive, etc. I'm 52 now.
Is your health declining?

Old 10-29-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
Is your health declining?
No, but sometimes you have appts. for things that you are not supposed to drive yourself to, even.

And what if a same-day surgery comes up?

Old 10-29-2011, 06:22 AM

560 posts, read 915,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post

This is another on the long list of reasons why many choose to live in a 55+ community. There is always someone available to help. Neighbors share similar situations, concerns, and understand how important it is to have "someone" he/she can count on in time of need.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:37 AM

388 posts, read 998,369 times
I agree with Goin'2...living here in a 55+ community has quickly shown us how neighborly and supportive our new neighbors are. We have had offers to watch our pets while away, accept delivery of packages if we're not home, give us a lift to the grocery store if the car is in the shop, etc. Coming from almost complete isolation in Maine - where we did worry about help in an emergency - to this kind of caring is overwhelming to us. We are happy we have moved here!

Old 10-29-2011, 08:01 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,257,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
This is another on the long list of reasons why many choose to live in a 55+ community. There is always someone available to help. Neighbors share similar situations, concerns, and understand how important it is to have "someone" he/she can count on in time of need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
I agree with Goin'2...living here in a 55+ community has quickly shown us how neighborly and supportive our new neighbors are. We have had offers to watch our pets while away, accept delivery of packages if we're not home, give us a lift to the grocery store if the car is in the shop, etc. Coming from almost complete isolation in Maine - where we did worry about help in an emergency - to this kind of caring is overwhelming to us. We are happy we have moved here!
Not having friendly, helpful, and giving neighbors within a 50-60 mile radius seems so bazaar to me. Having never lived anywhere but Delaware, though, I can still appreciate newcomers wanting to live in a 55+ community, because everyone in those are also newcomers, and there is that sense of comfort being in the same boat.

With us (in a Non 55+ community) we've always had that type of environment where we help one another, give one another rides, pet sit and so forth. I couldn't imagine not having friends around us, all over Kent County and Sussex County. The more I hear of newcomers' remarks about their new, and surprisingly friendly 55+ communities, the more I realize Delaware must be more unique than I thought. In Delaware, not only in 55+ communities, but newcomers to any subdivision, town, or rural area can expect to be welcomed, visited, and offered friendship and information. I travel the state every day, and talk with newcomers who've moved into various subdivisions - 55 and Non, towns, and even rural areas. They echo the same thoughts as the posters have, and about how neighbors and other Delawareans have offered friendship.

Just sayin' - For the benefit of others thinking about moving to Delaware, and for clarification, 55+ communities don't have the market on friendliness. Whether you decide on a 55+ community or not, friendliness is just the Delaware Way. You will have plenty of people offering help and friendship when you get here, wherever you decide to hang your hat! We love newcomers, and enjoy helping them adjust to Delaware. Husband and I have welcomed many into our home for parties and events several times, and they have become acquainted with all of our long-time friends, 'once were newcomers', and Delawareans of all ages, from all walks of life. It just mushrooms and the newcomer label is history! Nobody's a stranger in Kent & Sussex County, Delaware.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'2DE View Post
I agree - I am only looking at 55+ communities. I live in a condo now, not as good as it was when I moved here, but I'll be gone by next year. However, during tropical storm Irene, we had no electricity for 3-1/2 days and everyone here has an electric stove. I do not have a grill because I have a whack job living next to me so can't have anything outside that she can mess with. However, I ate well every night, because of good neighbors who cooked on their grills. Then they had their children go around the complex and check on older folks and make sure they had eaten, and if not, sent food over to them, too. A good neighbor is a real treasure.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little eggplant View Post
That's funny - because Maine is where i am (hopefully) moving.

But i AM going to try to be closer to neighbors than i am here. I just like living more in the "wide open," near wooded areas, etc. - and i know you cant have both. At least if i knew i had senior transport - i could have help going to appts. where i couldnt drive myself home, if there wasnt a neighbor nearby to ask.

I was just curious, because i know the transports are becoming more common as the huge population of the aging grows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware