Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 02:57 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Anyone can sustain long term once you go through the "withdrawal" phase. After a while you will not even crave carbs at all and it will become almost automatic to exclude high carb foods. It does take a little while. For me it took at least 2 to 3 weeks. I've been on LC for almost a year now. It did help that I did not like a lot of things very much anyway like bread, pasta or sweets.
Been there done that. Did Atkins for 6 months. Followed it to the letter. Lost weight but did not want to live my life excluding certain foods. Did low carb for quite a while too. Again, I am a foodie. I love wine, I cook and I eat out a lot. My body needs some complex carbs in order to perform. When I was low carbing my workouts sucked. Adding whole grains is essential for me.
I have also lost more weight doing WW than any other program AND I have kept the weight off for years. When 5 pounds creep back on I just reduce my caloric intake and workout harder. Back to normal I go.

SOME people can handle such restrictions on their diet. I am not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 03:53 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
Anyone can sustain long term once you go through the "withdrawal" phase. After a while you will not even crave carbs at all and it will become almost automatic to exclude high carb foods. It does take a little while. For me it took at least 2 to 3 weeks. I've been on LC for almost a year now. It did help that I did not like a lot of things very much anyway like bread, pasta or sweets.
Are you kidding ? Of course it helps if you don't like the stuff. That's almost like cheating. .

Old 10-06-2015, 03:54 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Been there done that. Did Atkins for 6 months. Followed it to the letter. Lost weight but did not want to live my life excluding certain foods. Did low carb for quite a while too. Again, I am a foodie. I love wine, I cook and I eat out a lot. My body needs some complex carbs in order to perform. When I was low carbing my workouts sucked. Adding whole grains is essential for me.
I have also lost more weight doing WW than any other program AND I have kept the weight off for years. When 5 pounds creep back on I just reduce my caloric intake and workout harder. Back to normal I go.

I forgot to include one very important bit of information. I am diabetic and if I want to avoid getting my feet/legs amputated or going blind, I MUST eat low carb. Sounds overly simplistic but very true. If you just want to lose weight there are many other approaches. I also forgot to add that I am on a Low Carb HIGH FAT diet and I use fat instead of carbs as my fuel. Not only that, I do not feel hungry even when I fast part of the day. If you cut out both fat and carbs, then yes you will feel very weak. I do not feel fatigued in the least and my sugar and lipid profiles are the best they have ever been.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I forgot to include one very important bit of information. I am diabetic and if I want to avoid getting my feet/legs amputated or going blind, I MUST eat low carb. Sounds overly simplistic but very true. If you just want to lose weight there are many other approaches. I also forgot to add that I am on a Low Carb HIGH FAT diet and I use fat instead of carbs as my fuel. Not only that, I do not feel hungry even when I fast part of the day. If you cut out both fat and carbs, then yes you will feel very weak. I do not feel fatigued in the least and my sugar and lipid profiles are the best they have ever been.
I am not suggesting you should not eat low carb. If it works for you by all means follow it. You found something that works! My point is that there is no 'one right way' to eat. Everyone needs to find what works for them.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:43 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,336 times
To the OP: I noticed that when I stopped tracking my calories, my weight loss stagnated. It's easy to consume too many calories because grams of fat have 9 calories as opposed to carbs or protein, which only have 4. Hope this helps, and sorry if this has already been posted.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Is a Low Carb Diet Bad For Your Thyroid? « AnthonyColpo

Many studies are listed in this article.
But none of them prove that low carb eating causes the symptoms you cite.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Which you chose to ignore. Also what you call anecdotes are the best data available anywhere. Did you look at the studies Anthony Colpo listed?
I did and they do not prove anything. They are an interesting collection of studies. I was already familiar with some of them. Colpo's conclusions from the studies are a bit bizarre.

I am familiar with the overfeeding study that he cites. The fact that T3 levels were UNCHANGED in men who were overfed fat and HIGHER in men overfed carbs certainly doesn't support the idea that eating a low carb lowers T3. T3 remained UNCHANGED for those people.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
I have no problems eating out and I too have been eating low carb for a long time. Over 11 years now
I have been losing steadily and I eat lunch out 4-5 days a week and often eat dinner out on the weekends. I don't understand what people find so difficult about eating out on a low carb diet. I have rarely had a problem getting a restaurant to sub out their starchy side dish and add veggies or a salad.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

I'm glad you found something that worked for you. I tried WW and the problem I had with it is that I spent all of my time thinking about food. What was I going to eat next, how would that affect the rest of the day, etc....I think that there are many different ways to lose weight and people's individual preferences play a big role in what systems work.

The thing is that you do have to restrict something in order to lose weight. You just have to find the restriction that works for you.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I'm glad you found something that worked for you. I tried WW and the problem I had with it is that I spent all of my time thinking about food. What was I going to eat next, how would that affect the rest of the day, etc....I think that there are many different ways to lose weight and people's individual preferences play a big role in what systems work.

The thing is that you do have to restrict something in order to lose weight. You just have to find the restriction that works for you.
Thats true! I have to restrict overall calories. Much, much easier for me, but I understand it is not for everyone.
I have a friend who is very overweight and she loves her food. But she also loves working out. I am not in a position to give her any advice since she has not asked me for any. But I have talked about low carb a lot with her hoping she would take the hint. I think that approach would be right for her. My husband however is like me and when he needs to lose a few its all about the calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss