Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 04:07 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times

Advertisements

Totally wish I could get by with the 30-45 min workout! A full body workout for me is hard to do in under 2 hours., but if the gym is empty, it can be done. I try to get at least 2 in each week, I'm happier with 3, but its hard to do that and have any kind of relationship. Maybe I'm more into the muscles...I don't know. I also do a 30 min cardio session (running, stepmill, etc) each day at lunch. The older I get, the harder I have to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 04:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Agree. I've always heard from both my physician and the dietitian alike that sometimes all you have is thirty minutes and/or three times per week. There's only so many minutes in a day. People listen to the "you should work out 4-5 times per week......." mantra and it only ends up discouraging the very same people that need to integrate fitness into their lives. America is much bigger than 5'6 and 150, so I think that compromise and moderation needs to be preached to the masses. Taking into account people's individual circumstances and tailoring programs from there.
That's why I pretty much stick to strength training: better results in less time, and it speeds up your metabolism for a longer period of time than cardio, thus no need to work out 5 days/week. I used to do cardio 5 days/week, but I ditched than and switched to weights, and the results were like night and day. Don't get me wrong, I love running and usually manage to get a nice long run in once/week, but if I have to choose one over the other, weights will win out every time, because it's the most efficient use of my time.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:24 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,910,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The carbs we should be eating should be mostly from veggies... greener the better.

White breads and sugar and pasta should be limited.... not cut out altogether, but not having meals based on them... they should be used like a condiment...

Otherwise, carb out... just good carb it...LOL...
Do you know what whole grains are?

Old 10-23-2015, 05:29 PM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Do you know what whole grains are?
Did you read the part where I specifically said white breads.. as the last time I looked white breads aren't teeming with "whole grains"

Not sure what I said to warrant that kind of wise crack??

Old 10-23-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That's why I pretty much stick to strength training: better results in less time, and it speeds up your metabolism for a longer period of time than cardio,\
Not necessarily.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Did you read the part where I specifically said white breads.. as the last time I looked white breads aren't teeming with "whole grains"

Not sure what I said to warrant that kind of wise crack??
So then you also realize that whole grains are an important and healthful source of carbs, besides just the carbs that are in fruits and vegetables?

Old 10-23-2015, 05:35 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That's why I pretty much stick to strength training: better results in less time, and it speeds up your metabolism for a longer period of time than cardio, thus no need to work out 5 days/week. I used to do cardio 5 days/week, but I ditched than and switched to weights, and the results were like night and day. Don't get me wrong, I love running and usually manage to get a nice long run in once/week, but if I have to choose one over the other, weights will win out every time, because it's the most efficient use of my time.
If I had to just pick just one (God help me if I did) I'd go the other way. Better for my heart, better weight maintenance, for me. But we all work differently.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:36 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
What people don't know, is how really hard it is to make that extra lean muscle and how little an extra 1lb of muscle can actually burn without exercise. People will say 50-60 calories per 1lb of muscle (lol) try less than 8 calories at rest.
I never bought into the usefulness of muscles as calorie-burners myself, especially for women. It looks leaner because muscle is denser than fat, but strictly in terms of calorie burn, it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:36 PM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
So then you also realize that whole grains are an important and healthful source of carbs, besides just the carbs that are in fruits and vegetables?
Of course I do, but for the sake of brevity in my post I was just trying to capture a few of the quick obvious things about carbs.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:18 PM

565 posts, read 433,130 times
Formula for losing weight is really simple. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. If you burn less calories than you consume, you will gain weight. Thats all there is to it. The issue most calorie counters have, is they miscount their calories. Frequency of meals, types of foods you eat, eating breakfast is all just inconsequential noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss