Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 11:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That is overwhelming and isn't needed. The most I ever worked out was 30-45 minutes, three times per week, or maybe four. I made sure that the workouts were quality workouts.

For someone starting out, you want to go to the distance, and then ultimately gain stamina. She should start out at 4-5 times per week, starting at the speed and distance that she feels comfortable with. 10 minutes per day does wonders. A good exercise is walking. Then as she gets more fit, she'll naturally feel motivated to increase speed and distance and eventually work her way up to the suggested exercise levels. 5 days per week at one hour per day, especially for your average sedentary adult, is not ideal.
Ditto. You can cram an intense full-body workout into 30-45 minutes, and at 3 days/week it will do wonders, especially with a proper diet (ditto on the carbs, too). That's pretty much all I do: three days per week, I have exactly 50 minutes between the time my class lets out and when I have to be on the road to pick up my youngest from school. I haul ass over to the gym on campus, do my strength-training routine with very short rests (just long enough to guzzle some water), and if I stay focused I'm usually done with 5 minutes to spare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 11:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yup, or great carb it, like BEER.
LOL, I always justify it by saying I need beer to replenish my glycogen stores

Old 10-23-2015, 11:47 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The carbs we should be eating should be mostly from veggies... greener the better.

White breads and sugar and pasta should be limited.... not cut out altogether, but not having meals based on them... they should be used like a condiment...

Otherwise, carb out... just good carb it...LOL...

Agree. White pasta and ground meat is not what I would consider a diet food. The cereal choice is going to matter a lot too, and watching your portion sizes. When you actually start measuring your portions you would be surprised how teensy weensy they are.

When trying to lose weight I did cardio and weights, and 5 days a week working out hard, crunches or isometrics between reps for 1 hours and I came out dripping sweat.

If your first step to losing weight is buying pills and eating that for dinner, you just will not lose weight. Period.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-23-2015, 11:55 AM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Agree. White pasta and ground meat is not what I would consider a diet food. The cereal choice is going to matter a lot too, and watching your portion sizes. When you actually start measuring your portions you would be surprised how teensy weensy they are.

When trying to lose weight I did cardio and weights, and 5 days a week working out hard, crunches or isometrics between reps for 1 hours and I came out dripping sweat.

If your first step to losing weight is buying pills and eating that for dinner, you just will not lose weight. Period.
Diet alone isn't really conducive to losing weight...

You got to get the loaf moving...

I need to drop some weight myself and I know exactly why I'm packing it on... too much bad food and too much wine.... and not enough exercise...

Most people don't have gland problems or whatever BS they cite.....

Old 10-23-2015, 12:01 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:

I need to drop some weight myself and I know exactly why I'm packing it on... too much bad food and too much wine.... and not enough exercise...

Age is a factor. My metabolism has changed dramatically, but that just means harder work and more attention to what I am eating. /shrug It's just making a choice, pants with elastic bands, or chicken breast and broccoli and a 1 hour workout.

One of the instructors said that muscle burns more calories, so the more muscle you have the more calories you can eat without gaining weight. I'm shooting for that, because I like to eat. I still want to lose 5 more pounds but this is my break week. Next week back to the grind.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-23-2015, 12:17 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Age is a factor. My metabolism has changed dramatically, but that just means harder work and more attention to what I am eating. /shrug It's just making a choice, pants with elastic bands, or chicken breast and broccoli and a 1 hour workout.

One of the instructors said that muscle burns more calories, so the more muscle you have the more calories you can eat without gaining weight. I'm shooting for that, because I like to eat. I still want to lose 5 more pounds but this is my break week. Next week back to the grind.
What people don't know, is how really hard it is to make that extra lean muscle and how little an extra 1lb of muscle can actually burn without exercise. People will say 50-60 calories per 1lb of muscle (lol) try less than 8 calories at rest.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:41 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Sorry, Hound, I disagree. I regularly eat all types of carbs whether it was weight loss or weight management and my dietitian recommended that I eat all types of carbs, not just veggies and fruit. It's all about balancing things from the food pyramid. You eat a serving or two of this, and a serving or two of that. There is a place in the diet for just about everything...in moderation.

My approach to eating is that I get a budget, which I can liken to money. From there, it's all about making the best food choices according to what you can personally deal with. You can probably lose weight eating three donuts per day simply because the caloric value falls within the budget, but then you wouldn't be full, you wouldn't get any nutrition, etc. (you get the picture). You have to balance "good" and "bad" things. I personally don't think there are any "bad" foods...we desire what we desire for a reason. It's all about paying attention and not mindlessly eating. I like my pasta and my jasmine rice and I incorporate that into my diet. I also eat (reduced fat) candy, fruits, veggies, ice cream... I eat basically anything I want to eat, in smaller amounts. I refuse to deny myself anything, or eat veggies and fruits at the exclusion of things that I really want to eat. The problem is that people like to exclude things and it ends up blowing up in their face. To have sustained weight loss and manage your weight, you need to learn how to eat in moderation.

Faith,
I understand, but for a woman in her 40s (and as a woman who is 40), I think 1 hour five times per week isn't needed. I've always had an average metabolism and I found impressive results at 3 times per week, 45 minutes per day. My body fat was less than 20% then. I looked very lean. I used the stairclimber and the stepmill, and exercised within the optimum fat burning zone. I also lived in NYC, where I walked constantly. And someone who has been relatively sedentary for some time may find that workout regimen daunting. Just moving, where you achieve your heartrate, can do wonders regardless whether it be three, four or five times per week. I'm no trainer, just a regular Jane who found my own success doing things my own way.

I am blessed with bone-on-bone arthritis now, so I currently take the slow and steady approach. I do pay attention to what I eat, but I'm not obsessive over it. Nowadays, at my age and with two young children, it's all about just staying the course.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:47 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Ditto. You can cram an intense full-body workout into 30-45 minutes, and at 3 days/week it will do wonders, especially with a proper diet (ditto on the carbs, too). That's pretty much all I do: three days per week, I have exactly 50 minutes between the time my class lets out and when I have to be on the road to pick up my youngest from school. I haul ass over to the gym on campus, do my strength-training routine with very short rests (just long enough to guzzle some water), and if I stay focused I'm usually done with 5 minutes to spare.
Agree. I've always heard from both my physician and the dietitian alike that sometimes all you have is thirty minutes and/or three times per week. There's only so many minutes in a day. People listen to the "you should work out 4-5 times per week......." mantra and it only ends up discouraging the very same people that need to integrate fitness into their lives. America is much bigger than 5'6 and 150, so I think that compromise and moderation needs to be preached to the masses. Taking into account people's individual circumstances and tailoring programs from there.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:33 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,623,595 times
Quote:

Diet is hugely important to weight loss. You can exercise a lot but if you keep the same eating habits, you are more likely to maintain than lose. Changing eating habits alone means you will probably only lose one pound a week, but that's pretty good for many.

Obviously, the best way to lose weight is to combine the two. Exercising is great whether or not you're overweight anyway!

One day a week is waaaay too little time for the OP. While some people can do the intense workouts for shorter times, I prefer the moderate exercises for a longer amount of time, and at least 5 days a week (I love walking/hiking). it doesn't burn that many calories at one time but if you do it every day, it adds up.

The fact the OP doesn't really want to lose weight anyway is a big factor here. Weight loss requires incredible self-discipline, and you have to really want to do it to be successful.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:11 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Sorry, Hound, I disagree. I regularly eat all types of carbs whether it was weight loss or weight management and my dietitian recommended that I eat all types of carbs, not just veggies and fruit. It's all about balancing things from the food pyramid. You eat a serving or two of this, and a serving or two of that. There is a place in the diet for just about everything...in moderation.

My approach to eating is that I get a budget, which I can liken to money. From there, it's all about making the best food choices according to what you can personally deal with. You can probably lose weight eating three donuts per day simply because the caloric value falls within the budget, but then you wouldn't be full, you wouldn't get any nutrition, etc. (you get the picture). You have to balance "good" and "bad" things. I personally don't think there are any "bad" foods...we desire what we desire for a reason. It's all about paying attention and not mindlessly eating. I like my pasta and my jasmine rice and I incorporate that into my diet. I also eat (reduced fat) candy, fruits, veggies, ice cream... I eat basically anything I want to eat, in smaller amounts. I refuse to deny myself anything, or eat veggies and fruits at the exclusion of things that I really want to eat. The problem is that people like to exclude things and it ends up blowing up in their face. To have sustained weight loss and manage your weight, you need to learn how to eat in moderation.

Faith,
I understand, but for a woman in her 40s (and as a woman who is 40), I think 1 hour five times per week isn't needed. I've always had an average metabolism and I found impressive results at 3 times per week, 45 minutes per day. My body fat was less than 20% then. I looked very lean. I used the stairclimber and the stepmill, and exercised within the optimum fat burning zone. I also lived in NYC, where I walked constantly. And someone who has been relatively sedentary for some time may find that workout regimen daunting. Just moving, where you achieve your heartrate, can do wonders regardless whether it be three, four or five times per week. I'm no trainer, just a regular Jane who found my own success doing things my own way.

I am blessed with bone-on-bone arthritis now, so I currently take the slow and steady approach. I do pay attention to what I eat, but I'm not obsessive over it. Nowadays, at my age and with two young children, it's all about just staying the course.
I get what your saying but what works for you may not be enough or may not work for her. That is why I'm recommending the general guidelines. I won't go into what I personally do because everyone is different and to tell her to do what I do may be misleading if it does not work.

However the general guidelines for weight loss that have been studied on numerous individuals tend to work well for most people research has shown this.

There's a difference as well between working out to maintain the weight you are which a lot of us in this thread do versus setting out to lose 20 pounds and adjust for plateus Etc.

I'm young in my twenties however I do workout 4 to 5x a week for 45 minutes to maintain not to lose. I cannot say if the op should do that or not because clearly we have different bodies and metabolisms. But I know that when my dads gf who was super bony thin all her life and then picked up weight in her late thirties early forties and was shorter said that she got the best results when she did hour long workouts 5x-6x a week. For maintaining she can get away with three but after a while it was not enough to get all the weight off and she was only trying to lose 16 pounds.

In any case I don't think working out 5x a week is not doable if a person wants it enough and makes it as much of a habit as they do eating, drinking and sleeping and can integrate into their daily lives. It's hard at first but the more you do it the more it becomes a habit.

I am single mom, and I work, and I'm in grad school at night. I still fit it in because it's important to me. I don't know what the op's lifestyle is like but I've read that as you get older your metabolism slows down so I don't understand why a woman in her forties doesn't need more cardio but ok...

At the very least I think we all can agree that the op can start off working out a few days of the week and limit cereal to just breakfast time. That can jumpstart her weight loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss