Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 10:50 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When I start a diet, it doesn't include spaghetti, let alone cereal, or only working out once a week.

You won't lose weight, and that's not even trying.
What is with this anti-carb thing? When I lost weight, I ate spaghetti AND cereal. Daily. As in I ate carbohydrates at every meal, including snacks. I lost over 50 lbs and I didn't exclude one food group, including fat. My dietitian gave me guidelines and the rest was up to me to customize as I saw fit. There's no way I'll ever stop eating carbohydrates, good or "bad".

It's all about portion control and balance. I eat a cup of spaghetti. I eat one cup of cereal. My meat portion is 4 oz. There is no protein deficiency in this country. If anything, we eat too much of it.

Lose weight = Eat less, move more. When we get older, it gets harder. Results don't come easy. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to that equation. Not "eat less carbs".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 10:51 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But for someone who's just starting out with trying to change habits, telling her that she has to work out five days a week for at least an hour might seem overwhelming and impossible. Starting out one day, then adding another as she feels better and more confident, then another day, then working out longer, etc. that may be something she can stick to.
True. Personally, once I've set a goal I dive in. The only time I've lost weight was when I changed my eating and lots of exercise.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-23-2015, 10:52 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwebster View Post
I beg to differ. Her weight gain has a lot to do with him stepping out on the marriage. Countless people in this post have mentioned that he might do it and now we find out that he has. Yes, her weight is a direst result. However, she's too stubborn to figure that out. He married her slim and now that she's ballooned she expects him to still desire her. I'm not saying she deserved it but the weight gain played a part.
Hello? What I said was, that his cheating on her was NOT JUSTIFIED simply because of a weight gain. Cheating is NEVER justified. Nope. Absolutely NOT. You want out? Man up and WALK. Cheaters are nothing but scum. Period.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:55 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But for someone who's just starting out with trying to change habits, telling her that she has to work out five days a week for at least an hour might seem overwhelming and impossible. Starting out one day, then adding another as she feels better and more confident, then another day, then working out longer, etc. that may be something she can stick to.
That is overwhelming and isn't needed. The most I ever worked out was 30-45 minutes, three times per week, or maybe four. I made sure that the workouts were quality workouts.

For someone starting out, you want to go to the distance, and then ultimately gain stamina. She should start out at 4-5 times per week, starting at the speed and distance that she feels comfortable with. 10 minutes per day does wonders. A good exercise is walking. Then as she gets more fit, she'll naturally feel motivated to increase speed and distance and eventually work her way up to the suggested exercise levels. 5 days per week at one hour per day, especially for your average sedentary adult, is not ideal.

Last edited by riaelise; 10-23-2015 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 10:59 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,523 times
OP,
You should want to lose a little weight just to feel better and have more energy, try doing what Soldiers do, we call it (Rucking) with a back pack on pavement and terrain, no running, just a forced pace, you'll be surprised how quickly the weight will fall off fast, you'll like it.

Also, you husband is a jackass, he"s making comments about you, yet he goes from a 44 Reg jacket to a 46?

He's put on some weight himself because that's no easy task, I should know, I was Tailor when I was younger, lol.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:08 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,910,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What is with this anti-carb thing? When I lost weight, I ate spaghetti AND cereal. Daily. As in I ate carbohydrates at every meal, including snacks. I lost over 50 lbs and I didn't exclude one food group, including fat. My dietitian gave me guidelines and the rest was up to me to customize as I saw fit. There's no way I'll ever stop eating carbohydrates, good or "bad".

It's all about portion control and balance. I eat a cup of spaghetti. I eat one cup of cereal. My meat portion is 4 oz. There is no protein deficiency in this country. If anything, we eat too much of it.

Lose weight = Eat less, move more. When we get older, it gets harder. Results don't come easy. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to that equation. Not "eat less carbs".
Finally, someone who at least has somewhat of a clue about nutrition.

OP, do like this poster did and get some advice from a LICENSED nutritionist who has a degree in the field. That person will be much more likely to help you achieve your goals than the internet yahoos yelling around about "carbs", the majority of whom have no idea about what carbohydrate actually is.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:28 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

I agree. I don't cut carbs out and never have because everything in moderation, but in the op's case the cereal seems to be the culprit behind her weight gain. It seems like she needs to eat it less and perhaps replace it with a filler until she has a better handle on it. For instance I love chocolate and because I love it, I don't eat it everyday. I eat twice a week. The op can still eat cereal for breakfast for instance, but at night, for now I would try to replace it with something else. And definitely calories in and out matter a lot more in her case-being more active and coupling that with eating less will help with optimal weight loss.

I disagree with your stance on exercise, I don't think doing cardio 5 times a week is too much for weight loss. The heart and body only benefit from it. She doesn't have to do the same intensity of exercise but going it 5x a week and giving herself 2 resting days will help with weight loss. I also think adding strength training once a week at least in the beginning will help as well. Once she gets in maintanence mode she can work out 3x a week. My mother was a personal trainer by the way. It's never recommended that someone that needs to lose weight only exercise 3x a week. It's always a minimum of 5 days, max of 6, 2 days of which are strength training.

Now baby steps are crucial so she can start off working out 3 days out of the week and add more as time goes on but working out 5 days a week is recommended for weight loss GENERALLY, now on the case by case basis it depends on goals, body type, and how much weight their needs to be lost.

Personally I work out 4-5 times a week for maintanence as well as for the endorphins and to feel good. I do moderate intensity. If I were trying to lose weight I work out differently. If I'm trying to lose fat I work out differently. If I'm trying to gain muscle I work out differently. In other words it all depends. Since my mother was a personal trainer I know how to cater and develop my own work outs to suit my goals, but the op is new to this and I think that for her specifically that general guidelines will help start her out and then if she can afford it getting a trainer might help.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:31 AM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Finally, someone who at least has somewhat of a clue about nutrition.

OP, do like this poster did and get some advice from a LICENSED nutritionist who has a degree in the field. That person will be much more likely to help you achieve your goals than the internet yahoos yelling around about "carbs", the majority of whom have no idea about what carbohydrate actually is.
The carbs we should be eating should be mostly from veggies... greener the better.

White breads and sugar and pasta should be limited.... not cut out altogether, but not having meals based on them... they should be used like a condiment...

Otherwise, carb out... just good carb it...LOL...

Old 10-23-2015, 11:34 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The carbs we should be eating should be mostly from veggies... greener the better.

White breads and sugar and pasta should be limited.... not cut out altogether, but not having meals based on them... they should be used like a condiment...

Otherwise, carb out... just good carb it...LOL...

Yup, or great carb it, like BEER.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:39 AM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yup, or great carb it, like BEER.
LOL, you could do a Michelob Ultra... which isn't all that bad... it's better than Coors light....Colorado mountain p*ss water.... LOL...

Or you could go to whiskey.... no carbs at all in that... LOL... pair that up with some diet soda or sparkling water and you're golden....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss