Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,044 times

Advertisements

My hound is a real love bug, but I tend to think he would protect us from harm. He's very protective of his space since our yard is basically barren & is all his. Whenever a 4-wheeler or horse goes by he goes nuts, and if anyone drives onto our property or on our quiet dead-end street, he also seems to be "on guard".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Small dogs and terriers are commonly afraid of strangers.... I don't know if it's because of their size or if it's their temperament.

No one should make their dogs wary of strangers. Regardless of the breed, dog owners need to be sure that their dogs are socialized.

A dog that protects his owner in today's world is very likely to lose their life at the hands of the legal system.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-07-2009 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times
I know my dog would protect me, he has scared off someone that was trying to break into our house before. It's not that Brooklyn is an agressive dog at all, in fact he is a very friendly dog. He has never bit anyone and I honestly don't think he would unless someone was phisically hurting me or my husband. He just kind of seems to know things. For example, my little brothers and a friend of his were over at our house for a little while one day and my brothers friend pulled out this BB gun that looked a lot like a real gun. It had no BBs in it, so he shot it off in the house , which needless to say made me really mad (even though it didn't hurt anything), but Brooklyn really didn't like it! He jumpped at it and my brothers friend dropped it, stepped back and put his hands up! lol! I know it was just the loud pop that he didn't like, but ever since then he hates all guns, fake or real!

Anyway, like I said, I know that Brooklyn would protect me, but I wouldn't really want him to. I wouldn't even want to risk him getting hurt. I hate that a lot of people think Brooklyn is aggressive right off the bat simply because of the breed he is, but the one good thing about that is that hopefully it will make bad people think twice before they mess with me!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Our dog might warn us but that would be it. She sometimes will bark at a noise (although she tends to bark more at TV noises than real noises). If she does hear something in the middle of the night, she might stand up (assuming she is on the bed with us), bark then turn around and stare at us as if to say: "I heard something, you might want to go downstairs and check it out. I'll stay here and guard the bed!" Seriously, if someone came in the house I think she'd bark but the minute someone had a treat she'd be their best friend. And she is a chicken so if she decided they weren't friendly, she'd be hiding behing my legs.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:51 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
I wish I could say my chihuahuas would be smart enough to hide if anyone were attacking me, but they think they can take anyone and anything on...scares me to think what could happen in a real-life situation, but my instinct would definitely be to hide and protect my babies if at all possible and not even PUT them in that position, EVER! My 2 cats have a better chance at kicking some a**, but again I would not want to find out! I would lay down my life for any of them, in a heartbeat.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:33 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
When I was a kid we had a poodle (yep a poodle) and I think he would have ripped anyone's head off if they harmed us.

We had another gentle dog (mixed hound or something) who was very passive, don't remember what she did....

Our other poodle was a barker and a softy..

Now we have our own family dog and she is a lab/pointer mix. She barks at anyone who 'dares' talk to me (which is very annoying)--kids, adults...whether this is 'protection' or just 'annoying' I don't know.

We wonder if she'd be 'aggressive' should someone try to harm us. My husband says yes, but me..I don't know...maybe if someone bothered our son....?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:23 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
I have 4 dogs (2 Labs and 2 Chessies) and of the 4 I know without a doubt that 3 of them would take on anything and anyone that threatened me. I had a Yorkie attach itself to my ankle without warning or provacation at a Petsmart a few weeks again. On instinct when it bit me, I kicked it off and sent it into a display across the aisle. When the dog yelped, the owner freaked and came at me (even though her little darling had just bitten me, I guess she figured I should have let it keep knawing on my ankle). When she came at me screaming, 3 of my 4 dogs got in front of me with teeth bared and ready to fight. The 4th one though was pulling in the opposite direction ready to hit the road to Mexico. Luckily, my dogs are trained to listen to me and I was able to get them all settled down before anything further happened.

I don't worry now about whether my dogs would protect me. I'm glad just the same that they will also still listen if I give them a command when they are in that state.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:56 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
All anyone should expect from any dog is a warning. If you want your dog to maul an intruder then you should think along the lines of a getting a lion...
I always thought this would be the best way to scare off intruders. I would even put up a sign "Beware of Cat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, my collie might just lick you to death...

But that's why we have alarms and guns...lol.
I have one dog that would lick the intruder to death and another who would go and hide, or maybe even bark and then go and hide.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
I always saw it as my job to protect my dog.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:51 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I always saw it as my job to protect my dog.

I feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs