Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 AM

16 posts, read 46,649 times

Advertisements

will do thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 AM

104 posts, read 471,173 times
...the roller coaster continues.
but great news about buddy!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,007 times
Has anyone had their dogs not want to eat as a result of the nosebleeds? Freddy, our Wheaten Terrier, who has always pretty much eaten anything, now has to be encouraged to eat. Once he starts eating, he will continue to eat, it's just very hard sometimes to get him started.

He was on some antibiotics for about 30 days, which I thought might be the problem, but he has been off of those for a couple of weeks now with no change.

Is it possible that the nasal infection is interfering with his sense of smell?

Old 01-31-2010, 02:09 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
Glad to hear Buddy's swelling went back down. Maybe he had an allergic reaction or got stung or bit by something? Many years ago as I was leaving for work Dash walked in and his whole head was swollen, eyes were just slits. I called in to work and told them I would be late as I had to go to the ER vet. The vet figured he got bit or stung though it was winter and dark early and he had been inside for several hours Gave him some steroids and benedryl and told me not to leave him alone as he could get rebound swelling and would need to return to the vets if that happened. Dash went to work with me at the hospital. My department is down in the basement so he stayed down there and sure enough at 3AM his head was all swollen up again. The ER Doc asked me to bring him up and he looked at him and said if he knew the doses for dogs he would treat him .We left and went back to the ER vet where they treated him again and put him on benedryl for a few days.

It is hard to say why Freddie is off his food maybe after being on the antibiotics he just does not feel great tummy wise and needs some yogurt with live cultures or some digestive enzymnes/probiotics for a few days to get his gut feeling better? Antibiotics not only kill the bad bacteria but kill the healthy ones that live in the gut and are necessary for digestion to take place.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:08 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,499 times
My heart goes out to you. My mom has always said that having a pet is a heartbreak away. Its is amazing how attached we are to them. I love my fur babies like I do my kids. My one collie has a snotty nose and I am just sick to my stomach thinking something is really wrong. I can't imagine how you are doing. God Bless and My prayers are with you!!!!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:21 PM

15 posts, read 56,902 times
Hi Everyone! I hope everyone is doing ok and hanging in there. It seems as though Sage's nose is bleeding more. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to control that? He has been on doxycycline since he got diagnosed and that has really helped with the bleeding, but doesn't seem to be controlling it at this point. What have you guys tried? I haven't noticed him acting any different or any bumps on his head.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:10 PM

129 posts, read 491,407 times
Both oncologists that I've seen have discussed tying the carotid artery on the side of the bleeding. One of the residents at Tufts mentioned some kind of herb that has been used as well, although I don't know what it is. There was nothing, other than radiation, that helped us with the bleeding when we were having it.

I'm having one of those down-in-the-dumps days where we're on the down side of the roller coaster ride, not knowing if they'll be an up or if this is just the start of the major hill down. Nothing too terrible, just some off-colored snot and stuffiness. We go for chemo next week, but I'm not sure I expect that to change anything.

Hope everyone else is hanging in there.
Erica & Scout

Old 02-04-2010, 06:04 PM

I think some people have tried Yunnan Paiyao to try to control bleeding but I do not know how well it works. Am unsure if a holistic vet has it or if you need to try a chinese medicine shop or on line. I have just heard others mention it. Dash's nose bleeds were never that bothersome that I considered trying anything.

My prayers continue for all the dogs fighting this. Jan

Old 02-06-2010, 05:13 PM

60 posts, read 170,324 times
hello DashDog,
thank you for all your advice. i decided to go through with sheldon' s rhinoscopy last friday which ended up costing 1700 dollars which included a CT, a chest xray, and full oral exam. He was diagnosed with aspergillinosis or otherwise known as a nasal fungal infection. A treatable disease that involves an injection of clotrizamole right into the nasal cavity. Unfortunately in sheldon's situation the disease progressed so much where the bone scrolls near the brain case are eaten away. so the normal course of treatment is too risky. now sheldon is on a oral anti-fungal medication which is 50% effective for the next 2 months. If he responds then he may be able to get the topical treatment and could improve. If he doesnt respond then the disease could progress to the brain and cause seizures and neurological problems. So right now its a wait and see. I dont know how much financially i can afford and most importantly that my sheldon doesnt suffer. Right now sheldon is ok, he's eating normal and still enjoying walks and play time. i know the constant runny nose annoys him and his poor nostrils are all raw and sensitive. its all about quality of life. ive been reading everyones blogs and regardless of diagnosis we all have something in common: we love our dogs and will do anything to keep them healthy and with us..they are not "just pets" they are family, our best friends.
thanks again..your words are comforting.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:24 AM

I will send some prayers and positive thoughts your way for Sheldon. I have worked with people with aspergillisis in their lungs and it can be a pretty nasty thing. I hope his treatment works and that he can maintain a good quality of life.You are right we all do what we can for our dogs as they are family. Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs