Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:03 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,641,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
What ever happened to Raid flea and tick for pet and bed? Big blue can I believe and that stuff worked. My yorkies hate Frontline and the little one rubs like crazy. The vet says it's the alcohol in them that stings. I can't believe all the years I used I think 7 dust for the outdoor dogs now all of sudden we have to have these designer flea and tick products that make our pets sick and don't even work most of the time.
Yes, did get the corfortis pill and costly. I also got that Raid to
spray on chairs, rugs, etc. that did kill them off I do agree it works wonderfull.
However, I did not spray it on the dog, got the frontline spay and did that spray! Then comfortis to kill them so the dog did not need to scratch!
Frontline spay with the comb
Raid in the can-Got a refill of that stuff also
comfortis the pill
the 3 together really does seem to work for now-I just did look my can is purple!

Last edited by maggiekate; 11-08-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
The clinic where I work recently discussed Comfortis and ProMeris at the weekly meeting. I believe that the final word was that Comfortis doesn't seem to work at all, and ProMeris has had some BAD side effects.

I use Frontline Plus (though I have to admit I stopped using it monthly because we don't have a flea or tick problem where we live. I think they spray so much junk around our community that alot of little critters don't survive around us. I still do apply it every once in a while, but I figure without a real need for it, it's just extra chemical on my guys). That being said, if you are using a monthly preventative, it often varies what works for different people. We have had clients that say this one doesn't work at all or that one is great, and the next person in the door will say the exact opposite. So it just depends on what works for you. They have also been discussing the possibility of building immunity to a product if it is used over and over and the idea that maybe switching between products month to month may be the way to go.

When we move to TN in a couple of years, I will absolutely go back to applying monthly because I KNOW there are ticks where we are building, and I will definitely start back with Fronline Plus, but I will also be keeping the idea of possible immunity in my mind and maybe switch back and forth between a couple of different products.

Sorry for the long answer to a short question.
Strange because i loved frontline til I saw fleas, and then I did try comfortis
and it killed them! This dog is 15 lbs, and the fleas were going to be bad
if they did not get killed somehow, or the dog did eat one? The cost is real
high, but if it works I will do it. Or spray frontline for 6 months and pills 6?
So far the dog spits out the pill but also does it with interceptor! However I do not wish her to scratch with the fleas or eat one and more pills?

Old 11-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerjohn View Post
After 5+ years, Frontline Plus has definitely stopped working on our Pom ... vet recommended Comfortis ($15 a dose). Much cheaper on-line at Pet Medications | Veterinary Supplies | Pet Flea Control | Equine Supplements & Medications | Pet Vitamins

We'll give him his first dose today when he gets back from the groomer. Hopefully, it will work!
Dr foster and smith also sells it cheaper, you do need a script! Frontline quit on me after 15 years til now. The spray works if you have a tiny dog! Otherwise it will be costly. Ordering on line with a scrip, some vets will allow
it if they see the dog and know it is a good web site. Some will not therefore
be caution online for the dogs etc. With the scrip drugs vets have no idea
who these people are. Therefore may refuse to write a script-

Old 11-08-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millise View Post
I used comfortis for my Pom last fall. She is an indoor dog and I take her places with me. she got infested running outside at my mom's (who lives in a remote area - lots of animals roaming around). She was on " flea drops" I picked up at either the vet or the store. I needed a fast cure for the fleas and my vet suggested Comfortis, the chewable tablet I give her 1X a day.

this stuff works like a charm! My Pom is only 6 lbs, and doesn't like it outside - I can't have fleas in my house. She's getting comfortis daily and has no side effects, no drops on her skin... works great!
comfortis is a once a month pill, not a once daily pill? That pill is around 67.00
for 6 pills, that is from online? Frontline spray will work also for a tine dog.
spay and use a flea comb with suds and warm water to dip the comb into.
Also do it outdoors since fleas jump!

Old 11-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Daily?
Isn't Comfortis give just once a month?

We're still doing Comfortis with Elwood, he didn't barf or spit up at all last month, but using Advantage on the puppy.
Yes it is, and it also is a scrip med pill! Therefore the vet or poster
is? No dr or vet would give that many pills also based on facts, !
The dog is not on this and if so the vet is wrongly doing scrips-

Old 11-08-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Yes, it's horrible putting chemicals on my dogs. But the alternative, a single flea, results in constantly chewing their skin raw, then scabbing, more chewing.... the endless cycle.

Advantage worked for about 5 years and they hated it. I switched to Advantix, which is working great and they don't seem to mind it nearly as much.

I've heard Comfortis is only for serious infestation. I'd be reluctant to give my dogs anything that would make them vomit.
I am a fan since frontline came out and ued it. The problem is Florida is flea bug city
therefore if the dog did eat a flea tapeworm and pills. The cure was try this pill, and yes it so far does work. Fleas do make dogs real ill so if I do find
a product stops and one does work why not? Comfortis works real fast b4
the fleas get into cracks, rugs etc., my dog never yet got sick, and if she bites the flea she may also get sick?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:10 PM

18 posts, read 68,548 times
Default Price of Comfortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Comfortis works at least so far, you also need the vet to give a script to buy
it. It also does not kill ticks, also it does cost lots, and more if you buy it
from the vet! Frontline spray kills fleas and you could check amazone for that
It seems to now work better than the packet? If what you have works stay with it! I loved frontline and got it when it came on the market in the USA!
It did work, but I live in a flea state, so some complaints may not apply to you.
I went to Dr and foster and they are as costly. I found it cheaper online at petsupplyexpress.com. Never ordered from them but I am thinking of giving them a try.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,512,908 times
Sorry if I'm repeating something that someone else has already mentioned, but I admit I haven't read this whole thread.

I'm trying to go as chemical-free as possible with my dog, and I'm working my way up to quitting all the pharmaceutical flea meds, in favor of diatomaceous earth, also known as fossil shell flour. It takes a bit of research, and you need to make certain you're using food grade DE. It's a very common food additive, which I take by the tablespoonful every day.

The only way this stuff can possibly hurt you is if you inhale it or get it in your eyes, so you need to hold the dog's nose and be careful to shield his/her eyes as you dust it all over his/her body, rubbing it in down to the skin. It's totally okay for the dog to lick it. It's good for them! If you ask your vet, they'll probably agree that it's one of the best pesticides/paraciticides. Kills worms too! I know organic gardeners who use it on their plants to repel/kill most pests.

It consists of the fossilized shells of ancient microscopic plants, and it works in two ways. It's only mildly abrasive to mammals' systems -- a good colon cleanse ingredient - but it's like shards of broken glass when it gets under the exoskeleton of an insect, shredding them from the inside. Also, it absorbs water from inside the bug, basically dessicating them.

As I said, you need to be CERTAIN that you're using food grade DE. The other kind they sell is good for filtering pool and aquarium water, but very harmful if ingested by mammals. And I can't stress enough that it's very harmful to breathe any DE into your lungs, so you might want to wear a mask whenever you're using it in a way that could cause you to inhale it.

It's very cheap -- I just ordered a pound of it on eBay for less than $8, including shipping.

I literally do take a large tablespoon of it every day, mixed into a glass of water. It's tasteless and leaves only a very mildly gritty feeling in the mouth. It not only kills parasites -- it absorbs and binds heavy metals and other toxins and removes them from the body, and its mild abrasiveness scrubs away the really gross junk (like undigested food) that sticks to the colon walls. I've never been so "regular" as I've been since I started taking DE.

I suppose I'd better throw in a disclaimer here, as I am not qualified to practice medicine in any capacity, on humans or animals. Do some research and make your own decisions about the use of this substance. I love it!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:25 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,536,578 times
I use diatomaceous earth for my carpet but didn't realize you can use it on pets or eat it. How do you get it on the pet? Mine has long hair you need to be able to get it to the skin as well. Do you have link about using it on pets or eating it?
Thanks

Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam1120 View Post
I went to Dr and foster and they are as costly. I found it cheaper online at petsupplyexpress.com. Never ordered from them but I am thinking of giving them a try.
You do need a scrip from a vet! Dr f&S also gives free shipping so factor all that into it.
Thanks, I just did look, but am sure the vet would not give me the script! I just talked him into it because F and S has been around along time and is
way cheaper than he is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs