Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 03:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
BUT you are not required to have a BS degree to be a checker at target. I am required to have a subject specific degree to teach. Mine happens to be in engineering instead of chemistry, which pays more than engineering BTW.
So? you have a degree. You have a job that requires a degree. You get paid what the job pays. If your degree is worth more in the private sector, go get a job there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 03:30 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
sounds overpaid to me

and i was surprised to find some teachers in my children's high school were paid well over $100K. the average was close to $100K. sounds like a lot to me

Old 11-06-2011, 04:02 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
So all teachers should just quit now. Honestly, there are a lot of things that could be done if we got up the gumption to quit and let the *market* take over NOW.

I wager, the parents would not like it much though.
If the grass is better on the otherside. Then I woudl go there. Obviously the current system produces poor results, costs lots of money, and has disgruntled workers. There is pretty much not one segment of it that it works to the advantage of anyone.

If teachers woudl get paid more in comparable fields, they should move. Parents will flip out as the system starts to collapse. Pay for teachers will go up, costs will go up.

Maybe this is what the system needs to fix it. Maybe this is what is needed for parents to step up and help teach their own children. Maybe this is what is needed for people to start valueing an education again.

All I know the current system is flawed, and the answer of "throw more money at it" to me is unacceptable. I have no problem with funding mroe money to education if it needs it. But not in its current state, it will just get wasted.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:05 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninRebel View Post
A panel of experts could establish a standard curriculum for the entire state or at least the entire district.
I believe this is already the case. I know Virginia has had common state standards since the early-mid '90s.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:06 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
So, the market doesn't really factor in education issues after all.

When the system starts collapsing, Political pressure to fix the system will come around.

Quote:
Sent from my antiquated desktop confuser device.
Sent from my ACTUAL desktop device this time

Old 11-06-2011, 04:30 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The discussion usually deteriorates with inaccurate statements such as 3 months off in summer, only working half a year, 6 1/2 hour day, etc. Many people refuse to recognize the time outside of the classroom needed to prepare lessons and assess student performance.
What many people outside of the classroom don't see is how teaching has changed since they were in school. Gone are the days when a second grade classroom could consist of 28 students sitting at their desks, all reading from the same book, answering the same questions, learning the same math concepts at the same pace as their peers. One teacher could handle that, grading papers during her planning period, putting grades in a gradebook and running off papers for the next day. Instead, I plan remediation or enrichment activities based on the needs of each individual for each standard. It doesn't just happen during the day, but has to be based on common formative assessments planned by the grade level team and everything has to be documented. Grade level and "Collaborative Learning Team" meetings take up at least half of my planning time during the school days throughout the week (time while the students are in music, p.e. or art). Management and organization of math and reading groups is very time consuming as is the keeping of data. There are "acceleration goals" which need to be written for the students, which pretty much amounts to an IEP for everyone. It gets to be overwhelming for one person. I could use an assistant just to keep up with the input of data into Excel sheets. I think it is better for meeting the needs of all students, but I find that even when putting in 10 hours or so I can't accomplish it all.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Reading comprehension? Ivorytickler being a teacher means that she isn't talking about engineering? Then you need to read the thread. She has brought up her education in engineering multiple times. If you think that someone talking about their education in engineering is not discussing engineering... then maybe your teachers were overpaid.
What I'm talking about are the credentials that got me hired to teach. One of them is a masters in engineering. If I'm required to have a stand along subject matter degree and I was hired for that degree, why wouldn't I be paid like I have that degree?

I think it's a shame that I make half of what I made as an engineer as a teacher. I think it states very clearly that we do not value education.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:13 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwitwanderer View Post
I was reading Science20 and randomly bumped into this:

Teachers Overpaid? Underpaid? Irrelevant Questions (http://www.science20.com/chemical_education/teachers_overpaid_underpaid_irrelevant_questions-84325 - broken link)

Which, leads to this article:

Are Teachers Paid Too Much? How 4 Studies Answered 1 Big Question - Jordan Weissmann - Business - The Atlantic

There's obviously many arguments for/against this case...so what do you think?
Let's keep this conversation about teachers in general please and not about any individual posters that are teachers.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What I'm talking about are the credentials that got me hired to teach. One of them is a masters in engineering. If I'm required to have a stand along subject matter degree and I was hired for that degree, why wouldn't I be paid like I have that degree?

I think it's a shame that I make half of what I made as an engineer as a teacher. I think it states very clearly that we do not value education.
No. All teachers in a district are paid on the same scale, regardless of what subject they teach. It's like that because it's how teachers unions want it.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:29 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have no problems with paying teachers more, but I expect more. A longer school day, more days of children in school. We don't need a 3 month break in the summer.

Things need to change. I think our entire educational model needs to be scrapped. It is antiquated, and is not forward thinking.

Sorry, but tracking works, not all kids are Harvard material. Track kids at 7th grade, and put them in college bound, or vocational bound tracks. And make junior high and high school actually worthwhile.
Wow, a three month break? Where do you live? Our teachers finish two weeks after the kids, usually the end of June and start back a week or two before the kids in mid-August.

I think teachers in my school district are paid reasonably. Starting salary is about $48,000.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education