Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 03:19 PM

477 posts, read 800,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nothing. I was every teacher's dream.

I did once get taken down for something a friend of mine did; the hs principal was in a mood to make an example, and dissuade other people from hanging out with this girl, and attempted to play then "See what happens when you associate with these types? You get taken down by association" game" My parents met with him, and while the consequence wasn't rescinded, they were very open that, no, they were not in favor of his tactics of socially pressuring students to "not be friends" with others, and I knew that I wasn't in trouble with THEM for being friends with a girl the principal wasn't fond of. It was the only time I was ever disciplined at school, in 13 years of public schooling.
I have to agree with your principal. I've seen so many people try to play that "I was just around X. Why should I get arrested?" card. It better you learned this as a student than say driving with your friend and not knowing (most do know) they had drugs or something else illegal on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 07:06 PM

368 posts, read 395,979 times
We had a free day in gym class. In a nutshell, on a "free day," the teacher would set up a different game in both of the gym's half-courts and everyone in the class had the luxury of partaking in whichever game they'd like. All of the girls chose volleyball and all of the guys chose basketball. It worked out perfectly because there were 14 of us - 7 on 7. The kid who was guarding me (I'll call him Mark for the purpose of this story) was taking the game far too seriously. Every time I got the ball, he literally smothered me, held me, basically treated the game like it was football rather than basketball. I wasn't even a shooter per se; it just so happened that 3 of the guys on my team actually played basketball for the High School, so I got them the ball whenever I could. After a while, I'd had enough of Mark's antics. After a timeout, a teammate in-bounded the ball to me and lo and behold, Mark was all over me per usual. This time, I had an idea. Since Mark was playing me so tight, I observed that he was completely oblivious to where anybody else, teammates or opponents, was on the court. I decided I'd use that to my advantage. All six of my teammates were camped out around the paint. I was the only one behind the three point line, but Mark didn't know that. Out of nowhere, I glanced to my right and feigned a passing motion. Mark, not realizing nobody was there, was right on top of it. Mirroring my movement, he jumped to his right, arms extended, in an attempt to deflect a pass I wasn't actually going to make. Once he left his feet, essentially becoming defenseless, I took the basketball with both hands and flung it directly at the family jewels. I didn't even try to make anyone think what I'd done was accidental, I just walked away from a squealing Mark to get a drink of water. I just finished up at the fountain and was walking back when the gym teacher came storming through the double doors and colorfully told me to not bother coming back, I had a zero for the day and the principal was waiting for me. I got down to the office and was told to go home. The principal called my mom and explained to her what happened, then she put me on the phone with him and he said I had two options: #1 - In-school ISS for a week or #2 - one day of ISS and a hand-written apology to Mark. Naturally, I chose #2. Next day, early in the morning, the principal called both of us to his office. Mark was already there, I walked in, told him "I'm sorry" and handed him my letter of apology. He didn't even bother reading it, he ripped it in two as soon as he took it and walked out. The principal picked it up, read it (I don't know, I guess he just wanted to make sure I'd actually written something and didn't hand Mark a folded up piece of blank paper) and just told me that regardless of whether he accepted my apology or not, I'd done my part and I'd only have to serve one day of ISS. In any event, Mark and I never had another problem in gym after that. Strangely, it seemed like we were always put on the same team following that incident.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:19 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,731 times
I was quiet, smart, and not the type to give anybody any trouble.

The only time I got detention in high school was due to stealing a library book, which while intentional, was only because it was a new book and hadn't been officially processed into the school's library system. I started reading it while in the library and was totally engrossed; the librarian refused to let me take it because they had no way of tracking it, yet. So I sneaked it out in my bag, and had it in my locker. I intended to return it when I finished reading.

There was a locker check a few days later. I was aware it was coming, but didn't think about my contraband, or I could have got it out. But, as it happened, I got busted for that purloined literature, and sentenced to my first after school detention.

So, I sat in the detention room for the first time, gazing at the hottest-looking bad boy in my school, who was sitting across from me, and considered how this really wasn't a totally bad life experience. Breakfast Club was my favorite movie, after all. I was no Molly Ringwald, but still. Shouldn't everyone sit in detention at least once? And then...then! - Bad Boy turned to me, his ice blue eyes met mine, and I thought I would melt as he sized me up and then whispered, "So. Whaddya in for? Get a B?" I smiled, and tried to come up with a more interesting offense than "I stole a library book", but was cut short by the detention teacher screaming at us to stop talking and get to work. We did have a few side eyed glances between us, after that, but nothing more ever became of it, alas.

And that was the beginning and end of my life of crime.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:09 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,498 times
Like a lot of people have mentioned, there's just too much to list. The worst of it from my senior year:

A physical altercation with one of the custodians.

Flooded the private teacher's restroom on the second floor during lunch, which unexpectedly soaked several of the offices and classrooms downstairs.

Tossed a Ziploc bag full of Indian ink into the school swimming pool, dyeing it black. It took weeks to clean.

Constant vandalism of restrooms, lockers, the science labs, any opportunity that was available, during school and late at night. It got so bad that they called a special staff meeting where they discussed all of us (the usual suspects), and literally had teachers watching/following us virtually every moment, even into the restroom. We were always yanked into the principal's office, accused and threatened, but never really punished. They just could never prove anything.

Any regrets? Yes, I regret all of it. All of this time was squandered hurting others needlessly and causing destruction. I could've spent that time learning something and building positive relationships, but was too angry, immature, bitter, whatever else to realize it.

Happy ending: I actually saw the principal a few years after graduating where he was having dinner at a restaurant with his wife. I wasn't sure how he would respond to me(I wouldn't have blamed him for still being angry), but I approached his table and offered my hand. I apologized to him for everything and explained that I was a much different person now. He was very gracious, insisting that my apology wasn't necessary, and that he had forgotten about everything. We chatted for a bit, laughed about a few memories, and I left feeling much better.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:01 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,893 times
what a great thread OP.

As for me, I was a pretty good kid, but my weakness was the girls. Worst I ever did was play around with a girl, under the desk, in class. Never got caught, but I don't seem to remember learning much in that class either. Of course that was 15 years ago in High school. Kim, wherever you are, hope you are doing well. Fun times!

Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,957,639 times
Dumped 10 boxes of Lipton tea bags into the VP's jacuzzi. Got caught and had to pay to have it acid washed and sealed...

Old 09-04-2014, 11:36 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Let some mice out of a cage, threw some books in the drop ceiling of a classroom, broke dress code multiple times. Nothing awful.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,665,826 times
Only once I was in trouble for something, back in gr 3 someone called me something bad and I punched them in the face. That my Dad didn't mind, but anything else I would of REALLY heard about.

My parents were VERY strict when it came to school and doing homework. Maybe because all my grandparents came to Canada with nothing but clothes on their backs after forced labour in WW2. They raised my parents well, which is how I was also raised.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:05 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,498,334 times
Ah so much,,,I was a bad kid. Expelled from 2 high schools and suspended from the alternate school.

In 10th or 11th grade, 16 years old, I skipped class with some friends and was smoking weed out behind the football field in the woods when school security found us and took us back to the office to get searched. I had my pipe on me and got charged with possession of paraphernalia and got expelled for half the year. Had to go to ALE, Alternative Learning Environment where I got suspended for using my phone.

In 12th grade at a new school in a different state, I bought a dimebag in class and the teach or a snitch saw the transaction. Had it in my pocket next period and assistant principal came in and asked for me. I knew what it was for so I slyly threw the bag on the ground under the table so when they searched me they didn't find anything. But I stupidly texted the kid who sat next to me in class and asked him to pick it up for me, and the dummy showed it off and got caught with it and snitched like hell. Got charged with possession and expelled for the next half of the year again. It was 5 days after my 18th bday.

Took ecstasy a few times in school, smoked up damn near every day, occasionally did coke in the back of the bus. Got searched once for suspicion of dealing coke and weed on campus, but when they searched me all they found was a bunch of weed books I got from the library and empty condom wrappers lol.

Yeah, I was terrible. All that is behind me now. Now I just smoke the reefer occasionally.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Not much more than the usual class hijinks; the worst thing I did was skip class. We'd go to the beach or to a friend's house, or sometimes we'd just stay in the building and hang out in the auditorium or backstage, where there was a warren of storage rooms, music rehearsal rooms, and dressing rooms. In the evenings, we wrapped friends' and enemies' homes with toilet paper and drank beer at the beach.

Our school had a tradition of the juniors painting graffiti on a cement retaining wall near the school the night of graduation. The cops usually were tipped off to this, and a friend and I got hauled into a police cruiser. The cop didn't drag us home or make our parents pick us up at the station. I was kinda disappointed.

College naughtiness had much to do with underage drinking, stealing glasses from bars and milk crates from the dorm cafeteria, and mild drug experimentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education