Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times

Advertisements

Yet the OP ignores this from the linked article:

When contacted by The Atlantic, Iott confirmed his involvement with the group over a number of years, but said his interest in Nazi Germany was historical and he does not subscribe to the tenets of Nazism. "No, absolutely not," he said. "In fact, there's a disclaimer on the [Wiking] website. And you'll find that on almost any reenactment website. It's purely historical interest in World War II."

Iott, a member of the Ohio Military Reserve, added, "I've always been fascinated by the fact that here was a relatively small country that from a strictly military point of view accomplished incredible things. I mean, they took over most of Europe and Russia, and it really took the combined effort of the free world to defeat them. From a purely historical military point of view, that's incredible."

I'm no historical expert on Nazi uniforms but I do not see any of those red arm-bands or swaztika (sp?). Seems to me just another trolling thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 01:05 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KODZtjOIPg

Old 10-09-2010, 01:10 PM

46,965 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Amazing that you would think people who participant in historical re-enactments that shaped this nation to be a sign of a disturbed personality.
Like I said, I find the activity without much in the way of redeeming qualities in the first place.

However, if you absolutely must, why pick the freakin' SS? Of all the Nazi-era military organizations, this was the one specifically formed to be obedient and loyal to the Fuehrer, composed of men who embraced the Nazi ideology with enthusiasm. They oversaw the Death Camps. Their arrogance even when captured is well-documented. They were Hitler's personal Praetorian Guard, and they were very proud of it. If evil has a face, the SS isn't much off.

Still, if for some reason you feel play-acting as SS is a proper way to commemorate the loss and sorrow of WWII, at least have the decency not to grin while you pose for snapshots. There are millions of victims of crimes committed by the men wearing that uniform, and they deserve that very small measure of respect.

If you can't even muster that - well, then something is not right.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I'm no historical expert on Nazi uniforms but I do not see any of those red arm-bands or swaztika (sp?). Seems to me just another trolling thread.
That's a Nazi field-gray uniform all right. The death's head cap badge and the double-S lightning runes on the collar are SS insignia. He poses for pictures dressed as SS, that much is not debatable.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:30 PM

Default Hang on - the Wiking division?

Oh, this just gets richer and richer. I'll confess I didn't connect the dots at first.

These a-holes model themselves on the Wiking division. The one that recruited in Nazi-occupied Northern Europe. So not only do they decide to pick SS, they pick the SS unit that specifically recruited from traitors who saw their own countries occupied by the Nazis and then joined the Nazi cause.

Yeah, there's a fun week-end activity. Bring the kids.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah, for historical re-enactment, which is basically a service to the public.
Except that the traitors in the real Wiking division never fought Americans. But hey, it's a service to the public, so what's a few liberties with history?

Old 10-09-2010, 01:49 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Specifically what is "sound policy" to a Tea Partier? I have yet to hear the logic behind their madness.
I'm if Karl Marx or Friedrich Engels were alive today they would agree with your statement.

Calling for the federal government to stop the deficit spending, reduce the debt, and follow the US Constitution - madness i tell you, madness.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:01 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
You and the Left should have researched this a bit more before running with it.

http://althouse.blogspot.com/2010/10/witch-*****-nazi.html (broken link)

Another manufactured controversy by the crazed Left.
If you love history, and participate in these reenactments, somebody has to dress up as the opposing side. I don't get all the outrage over this.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:10 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
i knew a couple guys who were in one of these Nazi, Reenactment Groups but they were also in Civil War Groups. While it may or may not be sinister in itself it certainly shows poor taste for a political candidate.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:17 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Because it is exactly the kind of article you search for everyday?

Fun aside, anyone on the right should run away and as fast as they can from this guy. All the rationalization, excuses as to why and nuanced technicalities make not a hill of beans. If you know whats good for you RUN.

I do find it funny that the extreme elements on the right will use Obama depicted as Hitler to give the worst possible image known to modern man in order to denounce him, yet will excuse, rationalize, and defend some guy who voluntarily and willing dresses up as an Nazi SS to play on the weekends.

Whats next, Klu Klux Klan reenactments on the weekends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections