Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 02:20 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Maybe he just sees things more objectively than you do.
I always wanted to play civil war reenactor.

I would only fight as a rebel. See Reece Weatherspoon movie "Sweet Home Alabama". I just loved the guy playing her dad in the movie...

As November 2nd approaches the levels of liberal froth are approaching critical mass. Lighten up people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 02:39 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I always wanted to play civil war reenactor.

I would only fight as a rebel.
You could make the case that the average Johnny Rebel fought to defend his home turf and not specifically to further the evils of slavery.

No such rationalization can be made for the Waffen-SS - they were specifically Hitler's troops, embraced Nazism with enthusiasm and were proud of it. As if that wasn't bad enough, the Wiking division was, basically, recruited from quislings. And as has been established, their "re-enactments" aren't rooted in fact.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:46 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No such rationalization can be made for the Waffen-SS - they were specifically Hitler's troops, embraced Nazism with enthusiasm and were proud of it. As if that wasn't bad enough, the Wiking division was, basically, recruited from quislings. And as has been established, their "re-enactments" aren't rooted in fact.
The fact that their "reenactments" are not rooted in history should be a red flag, most in this hobby frown upon anyone who chooses to represent an elite or special forces unit in an unrealistic environment. They simply were not that common on the battlefield compared to the average run of the mill infantryman. Considering the whole point of re-enactment is to understand how soldiers of the days of old lived and fought portraying the SS is odd to say the least.

But then again I am biased towards the Civil War genre where "elitists" are not nearly as common.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:47 PM

888 posts, read 1,187,107 times
Halloween comes early for the GOP.

Does he use an old box-car full of skinny mannequin's, dressed up as Jewish concentration camp survivors, in his reenactments too?

Yes sir, QUITE the catch for the Tea Party/GOP to nominate such a......"gentleman!"

Steve

Old 10-09-2010, 03:04 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Because it is exactly the kind of article you search for everyday?

Fun aside, anyone on the right should run away and as fast as they can from this guy. All the rationalization, excuses as to why and nuanced technicalities make not a hill of beans. If you know whats good for you RUN.

I do find it funny that the extreme elements on the right will use Obama depicted as Hitler to give the worst possible image known to modern man in order to denounce him, yet will excuse, rationalize, and defend some guy who voluntarily and willing dresses up as an Nazi SS to play on the weekends.

Whats next, Klu Klux Klan reenactments on the weekends?
A truly excellent post! In light of the fact the Right has called Obama a Nazi and depicted him in pictures on as such on several occasions this man is indefensible.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:10 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
The silliness of the left really has no bounds. Of course when there are civil war reenactments folks protraying the South really are racists who want to own slaves. The left no longer makes any pretense of having any intellectual heft behind its campaigns, it is now all scud misssle. And they wonder why they are going to get the snot kicked out of them in November.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:30 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
The absurdity of some of those on the right knows no bounds...anybody defending this man should be ashamed.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:33 PM

888 posts, read 1,187,107 times
Hey guys, seriously, WHAT initially did this guy have, that appealed to the Tea Party/GOP??
Was he standing outside a Jewish Community Center, dressed in SS garb, handing out hate literature?
Really, HOW did this Nazi-wannabee, end up on the GOP ticket??

Steve

Old 10-09-2010, 03:42 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Hey guys, seriously, WHAT initially did this guy have, that appealed to the Tea Party/GOP??
Was he standing outside a Jewish Community Center, dressed in SS garb, handing out hate literature?
Really, HOW did this Nazi-wannabee, end up on the GOP ticket??

Steve
Well I'm not privy to this mans entire history as I don't live in the 9th Ohio District, but I doubt he ran his last campaign dressed as a Nazi SS officer.

Attempting to be reasonable here, chances are few if any in the public knew about this and to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, maybe he did just "play" on weekends for reenactment purposes, I don't know what is in his mind or his heart. However it doesn't really matter because regardless if your intentions and motivations were well meaning, you will never have a career in politics dressing up as a Nazi SS officer.

If people on the right know what is good for them, they will dump this character and find a replacement and fast. The American public might be able to excuse and forgive someone caught in some scandalous drug and sex sting as hookers and cocaine are as common in politics as ants at a picnic, but getting caught wearing this get up is about as bad as it gets.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:49 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The silliness of the left really has no bounds. Of course when there are civil war reenactments folks protraying the South really are racists who want to own slaves. The left no longer makes any pretense of having any intellectual heft behind its campaigns, it is now all scud misssle. And they wonder why they are going to get the snot kicked out of them in November.
The deflections and rationalization for poor judgement on right knows no bounds. Anything to defend and protect one of your own.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections