Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I think a bigger problem is not understanding that Wisconsin or Washington might be tossups by Nov 6th.
Washington state? A toss up? Go on, please explain the rational in this one, I would enjoy to hear it...

Old 10-22-2012, 02:44 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,623,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
washington state? A toss up? Go on, please explain the rational in this one, i would enjoy to hear it...
lol!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:52 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Washington state? A toss up? Go on, please explain the rational in this one, I would enjoy to hear it...
I'll do my best to amuse you. My numbers are all based on the RCP average. Here's my thinking:

1. Obama has never gotten to 50% in nationwide polling.
2. Obama's support in nationwide polling has dropped 2.4 points since October 1st, from 49.3 to 46.9%.
3. If he drops another 1.9% from the latest RCP average reading to an Election Day total of 45%, Romney will crush him in the electoral vote--a landslide, a margin of victory of 60-70 votes.
4. If this happens, one or more deep blue states will be changing colors.

I do not believe there can be any undoing of the moment when Toto pulled the curtain back and exposed the wizard. Or when the little boy said, "The emperor has no clothes." In future elections, we may not be using these analogies to describe sudden shifts in momentum: we might be saying, "This is like the first debate in 2012."

It's a free country, and I'm just telling you how it looks to me--since you asked.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:53 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Wisconsin is already a tossup state, though Obama does have a slight edge there. Washington will not be a tossup state. Oregon would be before Washington and I don't think it will be, as I mentioned earlier.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:53 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
I think a bigger problem is not understanding that Wisconsin or Washington might be tossups by Nov 6th.
Washington State? Too many wine sipping liberals no chance slipping Red although the state is pretty conservative outside the Seattle area.

Here's something for libbies to high five over.

http://www.unh.edu/survey-center/new...pres102212.pdf

It's just too bad nearly half of the respondents are Dems in a notoriously Independent state.

Evidently UNHR is so bad the founder of Daily Kos called them crap.

https://twitter.com/markos/status/260467525001830401

Old 10-22-2012, 02:55 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,971 times
WA is going for Obama. As will OR.

WI has probably a 50/50 shot, but I would give the edge to Obama.

OH will be the decider here. But if Romney can get NH, IA, NV, and CO, he can win.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 PM

Edward, the last UNH poll had Obama up 15, so Romney is surging!

This poll has consistently been far more pro-Obama than other NH polls done around the same time.

But, yes, there is at least one poll liberals can get excited over.

As far as that Suffolk Ohio poll, when you look at it closer, you'll see that Romney has a lead of 0.7 when leaners are included.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 10-22-2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 03:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
I'll do my best to amuse you. My numbers are all based on the RCP average. Here's my thinking:

1. Obama has never gotten to 50% in nationwide polling.
2. Obama's support in nationwide polling has dropped 2.4 points since October 1st, from 49.3 to 46.9%.
3. If he drops another 1.9% from the latest RCP average reading to an Election Day total of 45%, Romney will crush him in the electoral vote--a landslide, a margin of victory of 60-70 votes.
4. If this happens, one or more deep blue states will be changing colors.

I do not believe there can be any undoing of the moment when Toto pulled the curtain back and exposed the wizard. Or when the little boy said, "The emperor has no clothes." In future elections, we may not be using these analogies to describe sudden shifts in momentum: we might be saying, "This is like the first debate in 2012."

It's a free country, and I'm just telling you how it looks to me--since you asked.
And do you know anything about Washington? Have you ever been there? Or know anything how that state votes? The only way a Republican would have a shot in Washington is if Spokane has the biggest building boom in history and becomes bigger than the Puget Sound metro cause until the Puget Sound becomes its own state, it too will be voting Democrat.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
And do you know anything about Washington? Have you ever been there? Or know anything how that state votes? The only way a Republican would have a shot in Washington is if Spokane has the biggest building boom in history and becomes bigger than the Puget Sound metro cause until the Puget Sound becomes its own state, it too will be voting Democrat.
Not that I think Washington is or will be in play, but Democratic pollster PPP had Obama up just 5 there in a poll they released last week.

http://wcvoters.org/files/public-pol..._download/file

Also it took days of counting the votes to determine the winner of the Senate election in the state in 2010 because it was so close. The 2004 gubernatorial election in the state was very, very close and there is a possibility a Republican could win the gubernatorial election there this year. Obviously, though, gubernatorial and Senate elections are not the same as presidential elections.

It's a pretty safe Democratic state in presidential elections, but it's not the most Democratic state there is by any means. Gore and Kerry both won by mid-single digits.

Washington is pretty liberal for the most part, but it's actually fairly conservative when it comes to taxes and gun rights.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:17 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
As far as the probabilities, he seems to say that a candidate has a ~70% chance of winning a state if he thinks they are up in the state by ~2. When you look at RCP averages from past elections, there are A LOT of cases where a candidate was up by 2 or even more in a state and the other one. So, I also think he overstates that probability of something happening.
What is up with all of this "seems" stuff? His methodology does not shoot out a percentage because the point margin says X. He gives Romney a 67% chance of winning Florida even though he only has a a +0.5 lead. So it's obviously not based on the poll discrepancy exclusively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections