Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Yes. It's hopeless trying to educate the uneducatable.

I give up!
I'm uneducatable? I'm the one going and looking up the facts. You think I got that 97 percent fact about Hubert Humphrey out of nowhere?

Sources: Converse, Philip E.; Warren E. Miller, Jerrold G. Rusk, Arthur C. Wolfe (1969), "Continuity and Change in American Politics: Parties and Issues in the 1968 Election", The American Political Science Review 63 (4): 1083–1105,

Election Polls -- Vote by Groups, 1968-1972
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I believe that. They're sick of the bogus hopey changey crap.

But the percentage of blacks who voted for a specific candidate doesn't matter unless you know the percentage of blacks who voted, period. Many, many more voted in 2008 because the candidate was black.

It's obviously too hard for them to understand.

As for charts: There's a chart for every opinion out there.
I did a google search, something like 60% turnout of black voters in 2004, 65% in 2008.

and LOL at there are charts for every opinion, there are, but that doesnt mean they show that opinion in a good light.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I did a google search, something like 60% turnout of black voters in 2004, 65% in 2008.

and LOL at there are charts for every opinion, there are, but that doesnt mean they show that opinion in a good light.
Even with the higher percentage of Blacks voting, it still leaves this question to be asked? Which percentage of Black voters voted for President Obama simply because he was Black?

I would argue it was a small percentage who did that because 65%, up from 60%, is an increase of 5 percentage points. That is if we are talking about percent only. We need to know the number of Black voters there were.

If there was a voter turnout of 60% in 2004 and 65% in 2008, then considering the number of Blacks in the USA, that would be about 24 million Black voters in 2004 and 26 million in 2008. 2 million more Black voters in 2008. If you were to divide that by 26 million, you would have a percent of 7.7%. This still does not make up the majority of Black voters. This still leaves 92.3% of Black voters who voted for President Obama for the same reason they voted for other Democratic candidates.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Even with the higher percentage of Blacks voting, it still leaves this question to be asked? Which percentage of Black voters voted for President Obama simply because he was Black?

I would argue it was a small percentage who did that because 65%, up from 60%, is an increase of 5 percentage points. That is if we are talking about percent only. We need to know the number of Black voters there were.

If there was a voter turnout of 60% in 2004 and 65% in 2008, then considering the number of Blacks in the USA, that would be about 24 million Black voters in 2004 and 26 million in 2008. 2 million more Black voters in 2008. If you were to divide that by 26 million, you would have a percent of 7.7%. This still does not make up the majority of Black voters. This still leaves 92.3% of Black voters who voted for President Obama for the same reason they voted for other Democratic candidates.
exactly, but you cant tell that to the conservatives on this site who insist on claiming black people are racist for voting for a Democrat just as they would in any election.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
exactly, but you cant tell that to the conservatives on this site who insist on claiming black people are racist for voting for a Democrat just as they would in any election.
Well, at least here.

I've been saying that Blacks have been voting Democrat for a while now. The more appropriate question is this: "Why have the percentage of Blacks who vote Republican have dropped drastically since the 1960s, and the numbers have stayed low"?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Well, at least here.

I've been saying that Blacks have been voting Democrat for a while now. The more appropriate question is this: "Why have the percentage of Blacks who vote Republican have dropped drastically since the 1960s, and the numbers have stayed low"?
That would be a very good question considering about 25% of African Americans still consider themselves republicans. They either stay home from they polls or vote for Democrats in the general election.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
It does no good to argue this stuff with white conservatives. No matter how much incontrovertible proof you put up showing that blacks were gonna vote within close proximity (north or south) of 90% for the Democrat, they're gonna say that it's not true and that we voted for Obama only because he was black. It's stupid to even argue with them about it anymore.

They're just mad because we won't vote for their candidates or party because it's an openly hostile party towards African Americans and has been so for better than 40 years. It's arrogance on their part. They still think they're better than we are, which in their minds gives them a right to tell us what to do. We should always vote the way they think we should vote....our interests be damned.

They don't demand this from any other minority group. Everyone else is free to cast as many monolithic votes as they want, and it never comes under any scrutiny. Notice how the Latino vote edged up over 70% for Dems, and their reaction wasn't scorn for Latinos. No, on the contrary...now they're out BEGGING the Hispanics with a bunch of outreach and softening their positions on immigration.

Jews, Asians, Muslims, Native Americans...all overwhelmingly Democrats and NONE are ever asked to explain or justify their votes.

That's why i laugh in their faces when they ask me to justify mine. African Americans fought for the right to vote and it's our right to vote any damn way we please.

Why don't they ever ask themselves why we won't vote for Republicans in larger percentages instead of being so p*ssed off about why we're voting Democrat? Is is because they're scared to look in the mirror after asking the question because they know they won't like the answer?

Yea...methinks so.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
That would be a very good question considering about 25% of African Americans still consider themselves republicans. They either stay home from they polls or vote for Democrats in the general election.
I posted a video about that in an earlier post. My theory is that alot of Blacks, even if they share some conservative values, often feel alienated by the Republican Party.

Here is the video:

"Why Black Conservatives Don't Vote Republican" Micheal Steel - YouTube

Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
I posted a video about that in an earlier post. My theory is that alot of Blacks, even if they share some conservative values, often feel alienated by the Republican Party.

Here is the video:

"Why Black Conservatives Don't Vote Republican" Micheal Steel - YouTube
Wow...that's a pretty damn good explanation. He even brought up the Southern Strategy.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
The Chart comes from fact check.org

FactCheck.org : Blacks and the Democratic Party

The chart says that Gore about 90%. Its not like it wasa difference of 30 points, you are talking about 3% to 7% in difference.

Im also not sure what other 3 places you checked, Do you mind posting them.

To the Whole forum, i am still wondering why the fact that black people voting for a Democratic candidate is so shocking for you people. The majority of African Americans have voted democratic for the last 70+ years.
For heavens sake, did you ever see me say anything about my being shocked at Blacks voting for a Democrat? I actually said quite the opposite...Now, show me where I said I was shocked. I am speaking for myself, not others on here. And btw, 3 to 7 point difference is the difference in the outcome in case you didn't know. or it can be the difference, depending on where the 3 to 7% comes from..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections