Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:13 AM

5 posts, read 2,310 times

Advertisements

There's nothing extreme about Bernie. By international standards.
USA of US Wyoming and Wisconsin do not like him why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 08:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I am certain there are "successful people" that support Bernie Sanders. They are the same "successful people" who supported Obama twice.
It was clear from the beginning that Obama was untrustworthy and I never voted for him. You may not like Sanders ideas but he is honest about them.

Quote:
A lot of them are guilty white liberals, a lot of them identify with special interest politics (LGBT issues, legalize pot types, etc.) and others are just confused.
Lol......no, I am not the authoritarian type that wants to control every aspect of other people's lives.

Quote:
As someone who has always worked for a living, I can't imagine why anyone who successfully earns a living in this country would vote for 90% of today's Democrats. All the Democrat Party has done in the past twenty years is punish successful people and scapegoat them as "greedy" and the cause of the country's problems. In reality the exact opposite is true.
Nice generalization. The wealthy have done exceedingly well under Obama, haven't they?

Old 10-21-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I care when I have to fund Swedish-style benefits for those who won't pay for them. If they won't pay like the Swedes do; they don't get them. Period.
Well granted QE isn't Swedish style benefits.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I don't have a problem with Wall Street asking for handouts. I have a problem with idiot politicians that grant them. Such as the one in the big white house right now.
I won't argue with that.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
So far I haven't met a single Bernie Sanders supporter who is doing well. From the conversations I've had with them, they tend to be completely clueless about how to build wealth or how the economy works.

For example, I just had a conversation yesterday with a Bernie Sanders supporter who was talking about how Wall Street needs to be taken down. I told him I started with very little in the stock market and have been growing my account very nicely. Literally every person I know who had a nice retirement got it from the stock market using strategies any person can use. You can buy a balanced mutual fund with some stocks and bonds and add to it each year whatever you can whether it is $1,000 or $10,000. Your investment will compound year after year and within 30 years, you're looking at a huge retirement. However, the guy I was speaking with said, he would never invest anything in the market whether it's bonds, mutual funds, stocks, even if he was offered a 401k. Someone like this will never be able to build a nice retirement and it isn't the system's fault, it's his own stubbornness and lack of knowledge.

Seriously, are all Sanders supporters like this?
Would you consider Steve Wozniak successful?

I suppose it is a subjective measure, but, in the larger scheme of things, I think he's been pretty successful.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:37 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nice generalization. The wealthy have done exceedingly well under Obama, haven't they?
Yes, but the middle and upper middle class hasn't. The super wealthy are going to find a way to stay that way no matter who's in office.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Yes, but the middle and upper middle class hasn't. The super wealthy are going to find a way to stay that way no matter who's in office.
So its not just a problem with one party and that one party doesn't necessarily do what the generalization said they do?

Old 10-21-2015, 08:55 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
So far I haven't met a single Bernie Sanders supporter who is doing well. From the conversations I've had with them, they tend to be completely clueless about how to build wealth or how the economy works.

For example, I just had a conversation yesterday with a Bernie Sanders supporter who was talking about how Wall Street needs to be taken down. I told him I started with very little in the stock market and have been growing my account very nicely. Literally every person I know who had a nice retirement got it from the stock market using strategies any person can use. You can buy a balanced mutual fund with some stocks and bonds and add to it each year whatever you can whether it is $1,000 or $10,000. Your investment will compound year after year and within 30 years, you're looking at a huge retirement. However, the guy I was speaking with said, he would never invest anything in the market whether it's bonds, mutual funds, stocks, even if he was offered a 401k. Someone like this will never be able to build a nice retirement and it isn't the system's fault, it's his own stubbornness and lack of knowledge.

Seriously, are all Sanders supporters like this?
Of course not. There is a wide spectrum of wealth in the 99% who are not the top 1% of the wealthy.

The question should be: What is the minimum amount needed to be in the top 1%? According to this:

The top 1% and what they pay - Apr. 4, 2014

the minimum threshold is $389,000 as of 2011. In 2007, the threshold was much higher: $426,429. The threshold goes up and down from year to year.

But that's all taxable income. The effective tax rate on the 1% was 23.5%. That has gone down since 2001, when they paid 27%. Taxable income can vary greatly when money goes into non-taxable investments and other places, and there are many ways to non-taxable avenues.

That means a person who makes $375,000 is part of the 99%. Or a person who makes $200,000, or $175,000, or $95,000. Or less. You can bet they all want to keep more of their money, and there are more of them than those in the top 1%.

The tax picture doesn't show anything much of a person's net worth. Just ask any farmer about that. A farmer can be making only $25,000 or less in net profit, and be farming on land that's worth $2 million, with another million invested in equipment.
Any crop can deliver very high profits at any time, depending on what's going on all over the world in food supply, but unless those prices stay high long enough to deliver a dependable return, a few mistakes can make even an expert farmer broke in short order. Prices have to stay high for 3-4 years at a minimum to make farming profitable enough to stay in it.

So a farmer may be in the 35% tax bracket, and pay his taxes out of a very small net income. And even more, once the state and local property taxes are included in the total tax burden. A farm may be worth millions on paper, but in life, that's often not the case.

Bernie is taking aim at the big financial institutions because they are the only ones that have been untouchable. They are the only part of the top 1% that is.

Most of the folks in the top 1% fall into 5 occupations: executives in non-financial companies, financial professionals, doctors, lawyers, and a lumped group of technical professionals (engineers, mathematicians, computer and tech professionals). Their average age is 45.

Most of the top 1%ers get their money from a windfall of some kind, and don't stay in that bracket very long. The group I mentioned above is the top .01% of the 1%. They are the only ones who make a lot and keep it consistently. All the others fall out and in to the bracket for many reasons.

The 1% do pay a bigger share of their income than the rest of us- about 35%- but only the top .01% consistently do not, and they are the ones who stay in the bracket. All the rest of the 99.9% of the top 1% stay in that bracket for 18 months to 3 years before they fall out of it.

Why go after the big banks and stock brokerages? Because they can make very risky investments that are so big they affect all of us, and when the investments fail, they fail so hugely that everyone goes broke and a recession sets in. The only way to keep the economy from bottoming out and staying there is for the government to bail them out. When the financial professionals fail, they drag everyone else down, including those in the 1%, but only they are able to escape the consequences of their failure.

That's why financial regulation exists. With no regulation, taking stupidly foolish, greedy risks has no penalty if they fail. The ones most responsible for the failure never go to prison, even though their actions result in death, destruction, and mass poverty that may not be temporary. The United States once had sound and reasonable regulation, but all those laws were chipped away steadily until they no longer exist.

And that's why a lot of wealthy people will vote for Bernie Sanders. Along with everyone else in every income level. The wealthy want to keep their money just as much as the poor want to keep theirs. Without regulation, every worker, no matter how hard he works, has no assurance he will be able to steadily prosper over the course of a lifetime.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sanders said tax increases should hit everyone. Sanders doesn't disagree with you, only those who refuse to be honest about his positions.

I may vote for Bernie and I agree with him. The best tax base is one where everyone must be invested in it.
Please show me where Bernie Sanders platform, outlines adding taxes onto the poor and middle class.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Please show me where Bernie Sanders platform, outlines adding taxes onto the poor and middle class.
Fair enough but I'm bad with links on my phone...I should figure it out.

I will complain when others do this but I'm not doing it becuase I refuse to back up my positions. If you prefer not to i will provide the links later but you can Google "Sanders tax increase everyone" and the ABC link should be near the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections