Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 05:51 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No he isn't. I answered your questions but I'm not going to acknowledge your hyperbole.
It's okay if you refuse to acknowledge it, that says you agree.

Companies are sending jobs overseas because of better tax laws, cheaper labor, less regulations, so what can we do to stop this from happening?

Sanders: Let's tax corporations even more, create more regulations and mandate tons of new benefits for all employees.

Trump: Let's punish corporations who send jobs overseas by putting a huge tax on all products they send back into our country, so much that they would be better off not building plants and sending jobs overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 05:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
By declaring war on Wall Street, corporations, the very places where we have our retirements, 401ks, pensions invested. By making America the land that shuns innovation and entrepreneurship. How is making America like Venezuela going to be good?
How do you get that? From what I have heard from him, he is for small businesses and entrepreneurship, but he is against crony capitalism. I have heard him say nothing about raiding our 401K, but I did hear him say he would go after those that are basically cheating the system by writing the rules. Not sure I follow your logic on what Bernie Sanders plans to do....

Old 10-22-2015, 05:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:

Companies are sending jobs overseas because of better tax laws, cheaper labor, less regulations, so what can we do to stop this from happening?

Sanders: Let's tax corporations even more, create more regulations and mandate tons of new benefits for all employees.

Trump: Let's punish corporations who send jobs overseas by putting a huge tax on all products they send back into our country, so much that they would be better off not building plants and sending jobs overseas.
So we should be cheapening American labor and laxing our taxes and regulations for corporations? How exactly will that help Americans?

Also, don't you think those companies we put huge taxes on that send jobs overseas won't just raise the prices in the US to cover the costs which would create massive inflation?

Old 10-22-2015, 06:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:

Make our tax structure so it's not worth it. I don't know what the real numbers are so I'm just making these up for an example.

Manufacture and sell something here...you pay 15%. Manufacture something in China and sell it here, you pay $30%.

Quote:

Corporations through the massive welfare programs of the last 7 years directed towards Wall Street have done very well, not because of any fundamentals. Those forced to pay for their programs should get some of it back.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:34 PM

53 posts, read 28,481 times
Quote:
We just need to repair the wheel, we don't need to replace the wheel with something entirely else.
Amen to that, bmw335xi.

Sanders for President!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:42 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
So far I haven't met a single Bernie Sanders supporter who is doing well. From the conversations I've had with them, they tend to be completely clueless about how to build wealth or how the economy works.

For example, I just had a conversation yesterday with a Bernie Sanders supporter who was talking about how Wall Street needs to be taken down. I told him I started with very little in the stock market and have been growing my account very nicely. Literally every person I know who had a nice retirement got it from the stock market using strategies any person can use. You can buy a balanced mutual fund with some stocks and bonds and add to it each year whatever you can whether it is $1,000 or $10,000. Your investment will compound year after year and within 30 years, you're looking at a huge retirement. However, the guy I was speaking with said, he would never invest anything in the market whether it's bonds, mutual funds, stocks, even if he was offered a 401k. Someone like this will never be able to build a nice retirement and it isn't the system's fault, it's his own stubbornness and lack of knowledge.

Seriously, are all Sanders supporters like this?
Most of the Bernie Sander's supporters I know, whom I know personally, like him because he's the only one who understands that democracy cannot exist when money can buy votes, and he is the only one who will actually make an effort to fix that problem.

I should amend that. Every other candidate knows the problem exists. Hillary gets it. Jeb gets it. But they need that system to stay relevant. Bernie doesn't give a **** about that. Basically, all of his money is from unions or just people. And I don't think that unions should have the power to donate money either, but the thing to keep in mind is that Bernie's biggest single donation is about $1500 while Hillary's is almost a million.

And I don't even think his ambitious free healthcare/college plan is likely to work out as well as he thinks. I think he can do universal healthcare or college, but not both. I'd recommend healthcare and working to at least make college more accessible. But if he can do it, he should. Education is far more important than a lot of other things we spend money on. And I actually disagree with him on minimum wage. I'm not opposed to raising it, but $15 an hour is a lot. Many people working those jobs really don't deserve that much. And maybe giving them that extra money will encourage them to work harder, but all the same, $15 is a lot of money for operating a cash register as Burger King.

But I like Bernie because even if his solutions aren't 100% there, he ****ing knows a problem exists and doesn't sugar coat it with BS like basically every other candidate. And at least he offers a solution (looking at you Trump; a wall isn't going to stop illegal immigration).

Old 10-22-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Most of the Bernie Sander's supporters I know, whom I know personally, like him because he's the only one who understands that democracy cannot exist when money can buy votes, and he is the only one who will actually make an effort to fix that problem.

I should amend that. Every other candidate knows the problem exists. Hillary gets it. Jeb gets it. But they need that system to stay relevant. Bernie doesn't give a **** about that. Basically, all of his money is from unions or just people. And I don't think that unions should have the power to donate money either, but the thing to keep in mind is that Bernie's biggest single donation is about $1500 while Hillary's is almost a million.
Nobody can donate a million dollars to a candidate. This is and has been for a long time, illegal. Why is it that those like yourself that speak on this speak with such authority but yet you have no clue what you are talking about?

Old 10-22-2015, 06:57 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nobody can donate a million dollars to a candidate. This is and has been for a long time, illegal. Why is it that those like yourself that speak on this speak with such authority but yet you have no clue what you are talking about?
It's easy to get around that. And of course, Super-PACs have no limitations at all and no one believes they dont co-ordinate their campaign with the candidate.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
It's easy to get around that. And of course, Super-PACs have no limitations at all and no one believes they dont co-ordinate their campaign with the candidate.
It's NOT easy to get around that and it's no one else's business how a person or a group of people want to spend their money.

If a group of people want to pool their money to argue that Planned Parenthood should be funded how is it the right of anyone to tell them they can not do that?

Old 10-22-2015, 07:11 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Last time I checked, I am doing pretty good and supporting Bernie.
ditto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections