Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:08 AM

889 posts, read 2,407,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I don't think folks realize that there is a thing as too much information. Information overload and man there is tons of it out on the net, billions of words of texts, thousands of books, millions of articles and all a little bit different. At some point you have to stop collecting information and digest what you have and ask yourself, how much of this is really new and how much of this is simply reinventing the wheel.

I have an odd knack for the memorization of quotes and phrases, and often I come across events, issues, or topics and immediately I think, well hell the Greeks, Persians, Chinese already dealt with this exact issue 2000 years ago. Yet here we are today still hashing over some of this same stuff wrapped in a new wrapper. Some themes in human existence are recycled in and endless cycle of rise and falls in societies and governments, etc...

In the end it all boils down to let truth and falsehood grapple and let the chips fall where they may. So someone wake me up when something new really does happen.
I like you Hilltopper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 11:46 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
I've read soo many threads about what petty thing X-candidate says/does/associates with and such: Since we really don't care about the issues, why not just let the candidates mud wrestle it out (in Speedos) and the winner will "get the crown" so to speak?

It'd probably end up with the same results anyways....

Old 05-23-2008, 12:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Old Gringo,
Blame it on the long term sponsorship of a dumber youth through a nightmare public education system designed to program kids not to think.
If you really think today's youth are a bunch of dummies, just compare your computer skills to any sharp 18 year old's.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:44 PM

524 posts, read 839,535 times
Well said Gringo!

+1

Old 05-23-2008, 12:48 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,525,552 times
Somebody always gets screwed. Some more than others. And not at the same time. Would you rather be the screwer or the screwee.?

Old 05-23-2008, 01:34 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
What would Darwin say about this election? What would Darwin say about the direction of our country? What would Darwin say about the sophistication of Modern life and the sophistication of modern people? Hmmmm the planet is in danger.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:41 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
If you really think today's youth are a bunch of dummies, just compare your computer skills to any sharp 18 year old's.
Quite the contrary, todays youth are neither smarter nor more stupid than those that preceded them. Can todays youth turn a deer carcass into winter wear or shoes, doubt most can. What was needed 100 years ago is no longer relevant, and when todays youth are 50 and 60, they will find themselves much as those that came before them, struggling to keep up with the pace.

Although the youth of today have a far greater access to information and knowledge than at any other time in history, so I guess we will have to wait and see what they do with this most amazing resource. Will it be hours spent on the Wii or will we wake up tomorrow and find that they are growing corn on Mars? Raw knowledge means little if it isn't applied, but certainly the potential is there.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:45 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What would Darwin say about this election? What would Darwin say about the direction of our country? What would Darwin say about the sophistication of Modern life and the sophistication of modern people? Hmmmm the planet is in danger.
People are always in danger because we are people after all. I always figured man was the missing link between the primitive savage and the civilized. Is not man both the butcher and the poet?

The race to see whether we can get past our past before our future catches up with us.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:34 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
People are always in danger because we are people after all. I always figured man was the missing link between the primitive savage and the civilized. Is not man both the butcher and the poet?

The race to see whether we can get past our past before our future catches up with us.
Well said and a good summary.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:54 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
One thing you can say about Obama - he clearly loves to think outside the box and is most comfortable with those who are experts and can do just that. I think it's a safe bet that he has had some personal discussions. I believe Obama is playing politics more than we like to admit and that once he's in office the changes he intends to make will be dramatic and swift. He doesn't like to wait, it's obvious, and someone who analyzes problems and addresses them the way he has, will be a 180 degree turn from what we have seen for decades. This will be the most interesting trip of our time.

In the mean time - your son is correct - we're screwed. Housing is the backbone of this nation and if we don't figure it out......I repeat........
180 degrees! Now how does a screw turn? Yes, the young man is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections