Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Just thought I'd bump this thread up to the top again because it was such a great thread. If you're new and didn't catch it the first time around, you'll enjoy this.
So Normie back to the original question are we still screwed either way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,331 times
Change will be very gradual. Until the American populace sees that America doesn't own the world and everyone should bow down to us, the establishment will just keep doing its thing. I expect things will have turned most of the way around by Election 2032.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So Normie back to the original question are we still screwed either way?
LOL. Maybe in the short run but not in the long run.

I went to the Newseum in DC a few months ago and spent a fascinating rainy day there reading old newspapers. And you know what? Editors, leaders, and other concerned citizens say the same things time and again--no matter if the newspaper is from the 1700s or the 1800s or the 1900s or today.

And what are those things that always seem to be true?

People choose politicians for all the wrong reasons and there don't seem to be any good candidates at all.

All anyone cares about is gossip--we can't have serious conversations on the issues.

We can't focus on evaluating the candidates and their positions on the isssues.

We focus on topics that don't translate into implemented policy.

Intellectualism for some is seen as a sin.

Being finacially secure is seen at times to be less admirable then being on the age of personal financial failure.

We shout headlines and don't discuss facts across the board.

Many voters don't read first, think and then articulate.

We cling to the past, instead of trying to understand the changing times.

Somehow things seem to work out. Except, of course, during those times when they don't. But I don't really think we're screwed. Not permanently, anyway.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:29 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,345,174 times
The title says we're screwed thread. I didn't read the rest of it, but if it keeps in line with the title ill

/sign

Old 07-29-2008, 05:22 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL. Maybe in the short run but not in the long run.

I went to the Newseum in DC a few months ago and spent a fascinating rainy day there reading old newspapers. And you know what? Editors, leaders, and other concerned citizens say the same things time and again--no matter if the newspaper is from the 1700s or the 1800s or the 1900s or today.

And what are those things that always seem to be true?

People choose politicians for all the wrong reasons and there don't seem to be any good candidates at all.

All anyone cares about is gossip--we can't have serious conversations on the issues.

Being finacially secure is seen at times to be less admirable then being on the age of personal financial failure.

We cling to the past, instead of trying to understand the changing times.

Somehow things seem to work out. Except, of course, during those times when they don't. But I don't really think we're screwed. Not permanently, anyway.
Actually this makes me feel good. I love reading history and recognizing familiar situations and thought-processes - that same old human nature keeps popping up.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Had a lengthy half hour discussion with my son. While he does not post in here he is actively following the campaign. We are both seeing that dispite the fact it is now May 22 and we as a nation have issues that threaten our very way of life we:

Can't have serious conversations on the issues.

Clinging to the 20th century for many is of greater value then understanding the dynamics of the 21st century and challenging the candidates on their understanding of a changing paradigm.

Etc

He was quite able to sum our lengthy conversation up in two words.

WE'RE SCREWED
Yup we were screwed then and are screwed now and neither party gave us a decent choice or were competent enough to move us forward. I wrote then and concur with it still. We loved partisanship then and worship it now. Watch and see if any responses are partisan, divisive and full of venom towards someone or some party.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:36 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Ok, so I'll ponder you this, if we are screwed now, when weren't we ever screwed?

Pounder this, as Politicians, they will always screw us, some how some way. No difference, just a Party Name.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,932,467 times
Quote:
Yup we were screwed then and are screwed now and neither party gave us a decent choice or were competent enough to move us forward. I wrote then and concur with it still. We loved partisanship then and worship it now. Watch and see if any responses are partisan, divisive and full of venom towards someone or some party.
I have only one thing to say,

blowoutcongress.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections