Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:04 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times

Advertisements

TuborgP,

You never commented on my idea of letting the dollar collapse.

I'm no longer invested in dollars (and I haven't been since 2005). I could care less if it all collapsed, which is what I think will happen eventually. Obama isn't a magician, you know? I've looked at Obama's economic team and I've looked at Hillary's. I like Hillary's better. Krugman (who is equially as brilliant as your Shiller) has said that Hillary's health plan was the best for industry and individuals.

You obviously have invested DOLLARS in energy stocks. I have eliminated my dollars by buying metals. If the stock market collapses, what will your investment be worth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 03:44 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
TuborgP,

You never commented on my idea of letting the dollar collapse.

I'm no longer invested in dollars (and I haven't been since 2005). I could care less if it all collapsed, which is what I think will happen eventually. Obama isn't a magician, you know? I've looked at Obama's economic team and I've looked at Hillary's. I like Hillary's better. Krugman (who is equially as brilliant as your Shiller) has said that Hillary's health plan was the best for industry and individuals.

You obviously have invested DOLLARS in energy stocks. I have eliminated my dollars by buying metals. If the stock market collapses, what will your investment be worth?
I have long since stopped responding to those invested in gold who are betting on and working towards the collapse of the dollar so they prosper.
Amazon.com: The Coming Collapse of the Dollar and How to Profit from It: Make a Fortune by Investing in Gold and Other Hard Assets: James Turk, John Rubino: Books

Last edited by TuborgP; 05-25-2008 at 04:41 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 03:46 AM

One of the reasons oil and other commodities including metals is because of the fear of the dollar collapsing and things of real value have greater staying power then those of symbolic value. The dollar is a medium of exchange as you know. However while I accept that my profit is someone else's pain I am not actively working towards it.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:48 AM

We are screwed because the nature of the system encourages some to work against the public good because by doing so they realize maximum profit. We are screwed because the public is and has been led to their personal pain by those able to manipulate them, who gain from their pain.

Amazon.com: The Coming Collapse of the Dollar and How to Profit from It: Make a Fortune by Investing in Gold and Other Hard Assets: James Turk, John Rubino: Books

Now the reason you support your choice of a candidate is because you feel they will continue our spiraling economy so you can prosper?
If that is it, then anyone needing stability should vote for those candidates you condemn

Go Status Quo
Go Collapse of the Dollar
Go Those who gain from others pain

Some will be screwed others will prosper.

Last edited by TuborgP; 05-25-2008 at 04:45 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 04:27 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,452,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Quite the contrary, todays youth are neither smarter nor more stupid than those that preceded them. Can todays youth turn a deer carcass into winter wear or shoes, doubt most can. What was needed 100 years ago is no longer relevant, and when todays youth are 50 and 60, they will find themselves much as those that came before them, struggling to keep up with the pace.

Although the youth of today have a far greater access to information and knowledge than at any other time in history, so I guess we will have to wait and see what they do with this most amazing resource. Will it be hours spent on the Wii or will we wake up tomorrow and find that they are growing corn on Mars? Raw knowledge means little if it isn't applied, but certainly the potential is there.
This is a very good point, although I do feel like I used to be much smarter than I am now at this age (over 40). There is some truth that cognitive abilities do decline after 40, but I digress. At any rate, I guess I don't keep up with the times. I don't have a DVD, Ipod, Blackberry, MP3 and wouldn't know how to use them (well, yes to the DVD) even if someone gave them to me. I still get by

To your points, unless raw knowledge is applied it doesn't mean much and I agree with everything else you say.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:56 AM

28 posts, read 83,870 times
The majority of individuals let the media drive their decisions because it is easier, more popular or maybe they just don't know how to think for themselves. If Obama is elected, he is going to be Robin Hood on a global level, taking all our hard earned money to give to the poor in other countries. Hillary will get us 2 presidents in one and McCain is just a liberal in conservative clothing. It reminds me of the Jack Nicholson line in A Few Good Men " you want the truth, you can't handle the truth". We are all in avoidance that we can look to history to show us the road we are going down. Romans would have fit right into this American life. The question is, are there enough people how care and would we wake up in time to stop the destruction.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:07 AM

Wake them up to prevent?

Wake them up to create the destruction?

We can see there are those invested in destruction?

How many of them post in here hoping to bring that destruction about by advocating for the candidate they believe will most allow the destruction to occur by advocating agains the one they believe most likely to prevent it with a new paradigm?

Go Status Quo
Let the destruction begin
You see pain others see gain

Old 07-29-2008, 01:59 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
Just thought I'd bump this thread up to the top again because it was such a great thread. If you're new and didn't catch it the first time around, you'll enjoy this.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,940,895 times
A little more than two months later and (now this is three words) we're still screwed!

It also seems that no one really gives a crap about that....which is really scary. TuborgP....your son is a genius! Give that kid some money!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Had a lengthy half hour discussion with my son. While he does not post in here he is actively following the campaign. We are both seeing that dispite the fact it is now May 22 and we as a nation have issues that threaten our very way of life we:

Can't have serious conversations on the issues.

We can't focus on evaluating the candidates and their positions on the isssues.

We focus on topics that don't translate into implemented policy.

Intellectualism for some is seen as a sin.

Being finacially secure is seen at times to be less admirable then being on the age of personal financial failure.

We shout headlines and don't discuss facts across the board.

Many voters don't read first, think and then articulate.

Clinging to the 20th century for many is of greater value then understanding the dynamics of the 21st century and challenging the candidates on their understanding of a changing paradigm.

Etc

He was quite able to sum our lengthy conversation up in two words.

WE'RE SCREWED
Sounds like you two talk well together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections