Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:53 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Did you two discuss which players in the American political establishment actually GAIN from the "dumbing down" of the American election process?
Oh yeah both of my sons are doing real well and the wife and I are retired comfortably at 60. The educated who understand the economy are the ones who gain.

Go Exxon/Mobil
Go Energy Sector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 09:34 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Lets assume for a moment that we are, "screwed" as outlined in the OP and we in fact have some form of mercantile bourgeoisie or aristocracy,a plutocratic oligarchy, or something along these lines. What is the immediate manner of dealing or changing this situation? Most would agree that a comprehensive education would raise the citizenry's ability to engage in our political process, but this would take at least a generation. There could be some form of revolution, be it soft or hard, narrowly defined or broad, but this would require a state of condition in which people were willing to risk what they have, including their freedoms in order to attempt to obtain something greater. Thus why I don't think we are screwed just yet.

As bumpy and rocky as things are, folks are still fat and plump, and while economic times are getting tight, there is enough fat stored up to live through the next winter and then some. The point in which things are so bad that the risk of doing nothing is a greater detriment than the risk of doing something, then the people will act. I just don't see this happening as it is now, but that is not to say things will change in the next 12 months.

Much of the things people may claim were lost such as civil liberties, the integrity of the voting/election process, a sense of national unity, were not lost, they were traded. Traded for a green field of juicy big screens, yummy and decadent gas guzzlers, delicious hedge fund options and quick potential wealth.

The fruits of our labors are great things but they are not the only things.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:39 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,525,552 times
I don't think we are screwed. We just have unrealistic expectations. Once we lower our expectations, we'll realize we really aren't all that screwed. We're much better off than our ancestors from 100 years ago. And we're much better off than the rest of the world.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:27 AM

362 posts, read 589,853 times
kurds are happy
not soldier has been killed in kurd part of iraq

things are getting better

im for mccain

Old 05-24-2008, 01:01 PM

Kurdistan: The Other Iraq, Bob Simon On How The Kurds Are Reshaping Northeastern Iraq - CBS News

CBS) This segment was originally broadcast on Feb. 18, 2007. It was updated on Aug. 3, 2007.

Try to imagine a peaceful and stable Iraq where business is booming and Americans are beloved. Now open your eyes because 60 Minutes is going to take you to a part of Iraq which fits that description: it's called Kurdistan.

Technically, it's inside Iraq but the Kurds who live there behave as if they already live in a separate state. As correspondent Bob Simon reports, they have their own prime minister, their own army, their own border patrol—even their own flag. And the overwhelming majority of Kurds will tell you they want nothing to do with Baghdad and the rest of Iraq.

And why would they after the brutal way Iraqis under Saddam treated them in the past? Why would they when they’re doing just fine on their own?

Last edited by E Roy Slade; 05-24-2008 at 01:26 PM..

Old 05-24-2008, 01:07 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Could you please explain how the is related to the OP?

Old 05-24-2008, 01:15 PM

Because Kurdistan is ok we are ok? Given time after Iraq and elsewhere McCain will eventually get to the United States and in time 20-30 years we to will be ok. Is tha what the post means?

Old 05-24-2008, 04:17 PM

i have a link i think its iraq vertrans for congress and 18 are running for congress as republicans

how many democrats are running?

Old 05-24-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Roy Slade View Post
i have a link i think its iraq vertrans for congress and 18 are running for congress as republicans

how many democrats are running?
One in each race I think along with one Republican. I think each party is contesting all of the races.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:51 PM

Geeez from the direction this thread has gone it proves we are screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections