Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:36 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
One thing you can say about Obama - he clearly loves to think outside the box and is most comfortable with those who are experts and can do just that. I think it's a safe bet that he has had some personal discussions. I believe Obama is playing politics more than we like to admit and that once he's in office the changes he intends to make will be dramatic and swift. He doesn't like to wait, it's obvious, and someone who analyzes problems and addresses them the way he has, will be a 180 degree turn from what we have seen for decades. This will be the most interesting trip of our time.
I see this over and over with Obama supporters. They project their thoughts and ideas onto him as though Obama was saying he is going to do what they want.

You need to stop doing this!

Look at how he handles things like this "talking to leaders in Iran without preconditions." He spins and spins and spins some more. He comes out one way then shifts a little, then shifts some more, then shifts a little more, then a little more.

If he does turn out to be a "strong and decisive" leader, heaven help us! Based on what he has shown us so far, his first choice will be the wrong thing and then he'll have to keep tinkering with it until it becomes something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Interview With Robert Shiller - Executives Column - Lloyd Grove - World According to ... - Portfolio.com

Robert Shiller - Bio

Most of you are familiar with Robert Shiller and the Shiller Case Housing Index. Schiller calle the dot com bust and has been right on target with the housing meltdown. He is the guru of modern economics to many. He is one of the if not the leading Behavior Finance/Economics thinker and is the American probably most capable of turning are economy around for the long haul. He is not very optimistic at this point. Obama has a number of his leading followers on his economic team. The question is will/would he listen and does it include Shiller. Shiller would be excellent to eventually succeed Bernanke. I would like to know from Obama where he stands with his advisors and will he listen to them and will he seek counsel from Shiller. It is obvious that Obama has read and been advised on Shiller you can hear it in some of his talking points. The question I want to know is Shiller on board with Obama or is Obama just reading his works and talking to those who know him well. Shiller is the change we need, I want to know if that is the change Obama is talking about. I can't figure out the other two other then to assume they will drag out the same old moneterist and it will be status quo.
Read the interview. Shiller thinks we need a housing bailout. Enough said.

Since Shiller seems to specialize in housing right now, unless you feel everything is housing, I don't think Shiller is "the change we need."

(If you like reading economic/finance blogs, here's one you might like if it isn't already on your reading list: Sudden Debt)

Old 05-23-2008, 06:49 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Read the interview. Shiller thinks we need a housing bailout. Enough said.

Since Shiller seems to specialize in housing right now, unless you feel everything is housing, I don't think Shiller is "the change we need."

(If you like reading economic/finance blogs, here's one you might like if it isn't already on your reading list: Sudden Debt)
So from reading your post I take it you are questioning the modern applicability of Keynes? If so, do you agree we need a change and I respect your values that Behavior Economics is not that change. Would you agree with this thread that we are screwed unless something changes?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
So from reading your post I take it you are questioning the modern applicability of Keynes? If so, do you agree we need a change and I respect your values that Behavior Economics is not that change. Would you agree with this thread that we are screwed unless something changes?
Ha! Aside from reading a lot of finance/economics/housing crash/gold websites, I never studied economics in an academic setting so I don't know that much about Keynes or Behavior Economics. I would have to go do research.

Frankly, I think we are screwed anyway. Do you read that SuddenDebt blog at all? He posts some fascinating things regarding energy, housing, money, etc. He's a really good writer too. You can spend hours on that blog because it's really interesting. Anyway, he thinks we are screwed. Here's a couple of recent posts you might enjoy:

Sudden Debt: How To (Mostly) Save The Financial System

Post on the candidates: Sudden Debt: Your Votes At Work

Old 05-23-2008, 07:13 PM

Yes we are screwed for a number of reasons you list several. The question becomes of the candidates who is most likely to take us down a new path and is that path one with a chance of being successful. Obama has one but you don't accept it. I can understand that as it at best is a model. Clinton is the same old same old and McCain may say he wants to balance the budget but it is without a philosophical underpinning for how the economy will work with a different management style.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:27 PM

Here is Obama's economics advisor: Austan Goolsbee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here he explains what Obama's plan is: Marketplace: Obama's economic adviser on the plan (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/01/31/econ_advisors_austan_goolsbee/ - broken link)

Don't underestimate Clinton's ability to take us down a new path... Her husband did it. Clinton has good economic advisors on her team too.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Here is Obama's economics advisor: Austan Goolsbee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here he explains what Obama's plan is: Marketplace: Obama's economic adviser on the plan (http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/01/31/econ_advisors_austan_goolsbee/ - broken link)

Don't underestimate Clinton's ability to take us down a new path... Her husband did it. Clinton has good economic advisors on her team too.
Bill didn't take us down a new path he at best successfully used the then and still now current path of moneterism etc. If you believe that still works then fine.
If you believe we are in the middle or at the start of a paradigm shift then you might support a very new method of finance.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:59 PM

I support the collapse of the dollar. The way I look at it, there are only two choices: Save the dollar, lose the dollar. I know it is tempting to try to save the dollar but it's called the "petro-dollar" for only one reason.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
NOW we're screwed? I think we were screwed in 2000, when dweedle dum took the helm of the once greatest, richest, most powerful "industrialized" country on earth. We're still the greatest, but geesh, what happened...

Now we have sissy cubicle jobs or $8.00 service jobs, nothing is made here anymore, and we have to be rich to afford medicine and be healthy, not to mention fill our gas tanks. NOT the country I grew up in.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:39 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Quote:
Had a lengthy half hour discussion with my son. While he does not post in here he is actively following the campaign. We are both seeing that dispite the fact it is now May 22 and we as a nation have issues that threaten our very way of life we:

Can't have serious conversations on the issues.

We can't focus on evaluating the candidates and their positions on the isssues.

We focus on topics that don't translate into implemented policy.

Intellectualism for some is seen as a sin....

Did you two discuss which players in the American political establishment actually GAIN from the "dumbing down" of the American election process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections