Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 AM

506 posts, read 1,402,745 times

Advertisements

The Scandinavian nations.
I am Swedish and when I attended College in the US, I ended up being part of an ex-change program to the UK. I had never been to the UK, but I ended up being the cultural translater between the Brits and the "yanks". Yes, they spoke the same language BUT Swedish culture is closer to British culture, and having just spent 2 years in the US I was quite familiar with that culture and mindset.

Jut look at the EU. I once read in the Wall Street Journal an article called "reluctant europeans". This was back in 2003, before teh current economic mess. The UK and the two Scandinavian EU members (Sweden & Denmark) keept their own currency. Norway is not part of the EU and has their currency as well. I cannot speak for Denmark (or Norway) but when most Swedes speak of Europe, they mean countries SOUTH of Denmark. Britons tend to excude them selfs when using the term "Europe". We also have vey similar humor. (The first country that bought mMonty Python was Sweden, and before that the BBC bosses thought teh show waould be impossible to export)....

Sure there are differences, but there is more in common.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:31 PM

869 posts, read 1,125,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setterrex View Post
England is very different then continental Europe. It is weird the difference that language makes on a society. The Britney and Normandy Region of France look a lot like England.

English culture was heavly influenced by the vikings early on so I would have to say Denmark.
yes normandy is a lot like england, brittany is reminiscent of wales or scotland,

that viking culture was in a good part from France/Normandy, William the Conqueror was the 1st Norman king of England.

Norman = northmen

Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM

614 posts, read 3,212,406 times
Netherlands, but even at that it isn't close. The closest to England is without a doubt other parts of the UK and/or Ireland, but that doesn't answer the question.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:03 PM

85 posts, read 214,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Netherlands, but even at that it isn't close. The closest to England is without a doubt other parts of the UK and/or Ireland, but that doesn't answer the question.
Netherlands Is closer to north-western germany,flanders and denmark than It's to England.

My bet would be northern france, both are kinda reserved people, with similar looks, usually medium height and brown haired (true blondes are relatively uncommon in britain compared to other places in northern/north-western europe I have been to), despite the fact of britain being in northern europe It always called my attention that the british don't look like other northern europeans but rather an intermediate group like the french people, specially northern half of france. They also have some unique things like trying to prove masculinity in both Uk and Ireland you dont see anything like this in countries like scandinavian ones, netherlands or germany, people are also much more direct in the latter ones, whom dont care about being overly polite (unlike the british), neither they have this obnoxious attitude that you can genrally find among British/Irish youngers.

And about the Angles and Saxons they affected more from a linguistical point of view, they didnt not take any major effect on the DNA of the whole population, even in eastern shores of the UK have been tested predominantly Native briton DNA.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:27 AM

110 posts, read 193,758 times
Some would say Washington State in the US is similiar, and some of the New England states is as well,

Old 06-05-2011, 03:55 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
The Scandinavian nations.
I am Swedish and when I attended College in the US, I ended up being part of an ex-change program to the UK. I had never been to the UK, but I ended up being the cultural translater between the Brits and the "yanks". Yes, they spoke the same language BUT Swedish culture is closer to British culture, and having just spent 2 years in the US I was quite familiar with that culture and mindset..
I am not sure if you are able to answer this question if you have never been to the UK.

Any European cultures are closer to the British culture than America.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
I am not sure if you are able to answer this question if you have never been to the UK.

Yeah, that is why they call Albania, 'Little Britain'.

Meanwhile Americans are off celebrating their entirely non-Anglocentric culture.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post

says you who has never been to the uk?!

Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
says you who has never been to the uk?!
How would you know?

I lived in the UK for 2 years and regularly visit my in-laws and family friends there.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
i apologize i miss read your post, sorry lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe